Advice pleasE! What course should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
I'm currently doing the sciences at school (physic, chem) and maths 3U&4U at school. I don't think I want to head into sciences because I can't stand lab work all the time and I'm the type that likes to meet new people and see new places. Maths, for me means a lot of work and frustatration; it is something i don't think i can dedicate my life to. My science/maths subjects are going pretty well compared to my English which is comparatively weaker, though improving through the years. (i think i might make to band 6 if i do a lil better in the HSC). My poorer English skills is attributed to my lack of reading. (would people believe me if i said i never read a single novel since year 2 besides the books the school has set). Not that i don't like reading, i prefer movies and tv which presents the information directly to me.

Right now i think i want to commerce/law if I get the UAI. These are kind of two fields i don't have much experience with. Though I havent done subjects related to these courses, I do enjoy debating, public speaking and love arguing especially with friends and my lil sister at home. The essays in eng i hate though i think law essays will be more different and interesting (right?). On top of this, i've heard law relies on deductive reasoning (or the other) which I really get coming from a mathsy kinda background. Having said that, i know if I do law i would need to work hard and do more debating, public speaking and read more books (my reading speed at the moment is like a page/5 min).

The commerce section seems to be quite flexible with good job prospects, especially if i got law to back me up. I don't think it will be hard for me, though i dont know if i like it or not. All i know is that i can picture myself working in an office for a good company amongst my colleagues. This seems to satisfy my desire to work with other people and have a good social life.

Other courses I am also considering are
Commerce
science/commerce
liberal studies
law/science

Please help me, i need to know what you guys think I should do and why. Thanks

theone123

blue essence
HSC
choose what you would really like to do in the future, its ok, i know many ppl who were in the same position like you whom do all science subj. and evenually do a humanitary course. Its not too bad Business Degree, just have to get use to a lot of essays, and group work, cuz i was never use to that when i was in high school... umm. Personally i don't really like Law, if you are a critical thinker (not me :() you shud do it, im finding Law is quite hard if you dont do the work and will struggle onwards, i find law interesting at times... depending on the cases.. :) and if you cant cope with it theres always next semester/session :)

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
do pharmacy, its sorta science / everthing and u can manage your own biz at then end...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
wohazz, science is not all abt labs and experiments...

i agree that i hate lab work too... as a matter of fact, i nearly punched my physics demostrator in his face... =p

ani way, science is abt discovering how nature works... me, bein a science person, would encourage u do science... you actually learn alot of theories (esp in usyd =p), and alot of the concepts are very hard to understand and requires alot of revision, readin (text books) and discussion to understand...

furthermore, if deep down u are a science person, i can almost garentee you that u won't have as much fun in law/comm than in science... tis just like solubility, like dissolves like, u feel much comfortable when u are dealing with people who have the same passion, same nerdiness (yes, 8-| nerdiness) and same assigments as you... =)

and, if are still undecided, do try email a student facility at usyd... and ask them abt their opinion... they will give u an uninfluenced suggestion =)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
commerce is alot of rote learning at times.... be prepared for that

why not consider engineering? it is maths scienceish and you don't have to become a dedicated researcher. Although, you can if you want.

and liberal studies is just an arts course pretending to be science :p

Ceara

HSC
N/A
Doing science is a lot of contact hours in terms of classes, and I think that science degrees are often a lot more work than humanities degrees, at least at my university (flinders, in Adelaide)

Engineering is dead boring by all accounts (have a number of friends who've done it or are currently doing it) and mostly involves a great deal of number crunching.
Law is quite tough, and doesn't necessarily have good job prospects. It also involves a great deal of reading and you want to have good English skills for it. There is a lot of detail to remember and a great deal of essay writing.

Commerce isn't too bad really. The sort of people who I know who enjoy it are less people oriented and more number oriented, and the ones who really get into it (as opposed to just do well) seem to be fairly anal. Thats just my experience though, I can't say it's always typical! It doesn't involve as many contact hours as any of the hard core science stuff in general, and has a fair bit of number crunching. Commerce is also not too bad in terms of employment prospects, but you will need to get good grades since you'll have a lot of competition because of the relatively high student intake.

Me, I'm studying psychology and loving it, wouldn't want to be doing much else!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yes, that is known fact, science/engineering = 2x arts contact hours.

but i like number crunching :D, it is also more practical than science, ie. you often skip the proofs.

JAZZAY

HSC
melbournian said:
natstar, can you lease punctuate and not use lazy internet slang. Maybe its acceptable at UWS, but this board should be not lowered to that standard.
Ummmm.....mate I don't know where you are from but where i come from this is how we spell 'PLEASE' its not 'lease'.

asdf

HSC
melbournian said:
natstar, can you lease punctuate and not use lazy internet slang. Maybe its acceptable at UWS, but this board should be not lowered to that standard.
how 'bout u stfu?

mystify

HSC
melbournian said:
Ive said this to you once and I'll say it again for I have just realised that you are so thick that it could take almost centuries for your brain to receive and process the following information, hence I apologise for not realising earlier---> Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity and unfortunately, *Melbournian*, you happen to fit into that category quite well. Well Done!! As for the remaining dignified people who do actually attend UWS its a lost cause to try and converse with such people. I actually feel quite sorry for them because they try to undermine people in an aim to conceal their own faults and insecurities. They will deny it but i guess that is human nature and be certain that you will soon have replies demonstrating this denial and more immature posts. For the record, I don't go to UWS or any other UNI for that matter since im in year 12 (thus this is purely objective and im not for or against any UNI) and I'm just correcting a wrong with a right .....i truly expected a greater level of maturity and diligence from University students, particularly from the supposed 'prestigious' Sydney.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Please dont think all usyd students are like Melbournian, he's just a stuck up college boy who did well in school and so now thinks he is king shit.

Most of us Usyd students are actually quite down to earth, and not in the least bit snobbish. Besides, if he thinks he is so high and mighty, why does he have nothing better to do than hang around a high school advice website bagging other people out?

Melbournian - people ask uni students questions in the hope that we can help them. How do you expect them to take you seriously and respect your advice if you are going to go and do stupid things like that, which degrade the reputation of all Usyd students.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Attempt at humour?

Anyhow people return to original q... Wohazz: medicine? Science in a humanitarian context..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think the difficulty of the uni once in is more important than the difficulty in gaining entry.
i have friends that have attended both usyd and newcastle, and believe our exams and assessments are a LOT harder than yours, and the general workload is a LOT higher.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
melbournian said:
Mambomeg, what has college got to do with anything? Talk about generalisations.

I don't like people trying to paint the picture that they are on an equal level with me, when they are not. Sydney is a harder university to get into primarily (note that qualification) because of its reputation. By people saying UWS is of equal standing, it demeans what those of us at Usyd have worked so hard for. I don't like my university degree been devalued by saying its on the same standing as a UWS degree when its way above it.
However, if you want to be deluded and think UWS is Princeton, well I guess you can.
there is no denying USYD in on a higher lever compared to UWS (5star vs 1 star). but you still shouldn't insult the people in the uni ....

you should note that your first comment was a baltent insult with no provocation.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
no, it is the reputation of the academics that matters if you want to get into a good postgrad position.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
i am not saying one is more difficult than another. But quality wise. Sandstone universities have huge libraries, have the countries leading researchers (who are your lecturers) etc. Difficulty at all Australian universities has to reach a government benchmark to maintain CIROS status. That was the problem with Greenwhich (think that is what it was called) University operating out of Norfolk Island, which was operating dumbed down online degrees. Difficulty does not reflect quality,
so one minute you're saying that the quality of the degree depends on the difficulty in gaining entry into the course, and then the next you're saying that the difficulty of the course has nothing to do with quality...

EDIT: and besides, the difficulty of the course once in should, theoretically, display a positive correlation with the quality of the graduate.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
melby, i wonder, would you still think usyd was the shit if you hadnt have received an offer?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Alright, alright...
USYD>UWS and UWS graduates won't all be cleaning the toilets of USYD graduates...
Now calm down!

I want to read responses to the original post damnit :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Again i beg everyone not to base their opinions about Usyd on the remarks made by melbournian. I too come from a small school in the west, and i dont think i am all high and mightly just because i got to Usyd.

In the real world, most people arent going to care what uni you went to when they employ you, particularly after a few years out of uni, as long as you have the qualifications and a positive attitude, you will do well. If i was an employer i would never employ someone as stuck up, rude and disrespectful as Melbournian.

Melbournian - if you are going to have a go at me about making generalisations, stop making generalisations about students at Usyd all having the same opinions as you. By making coments about Usyd and UWS like that you are degrading the whole uni. How can you go on about Sydney uni being so wonderful and prestigious, and then come out and say horrible disrepectful things. Seems going to such a prestigious institution has greatly expanded your ego, which was entirely too big already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)