Advice on dropping subjects (1 Viewer)

k4ren

HSC
I'm doing 12 units right now, but I want to drop chemistry or economics. I want to keep the rest of my subjects though because I'm doing well in them. Okay, so my rank for preliminary overall for:
chem: 54/75
economics: 19/24

CHEMISTRY
  • failed prelim (even though I tried very hard)
  • not all theory (not good with pracs)
  • hard to understand
ECONOMICS
  • failed prelim
  • theory (easy for me to understand)
  • don't know a lot from the things that we learnt in yr 11
So should I drop chem, and pick up on economics?

Coookies

HSC
I would guess you're a humanities person, so you should probably drop chem especially if you say its 'hard' because then you won't be motivated to try hard in it.

loaves

HSC
If you're finding chem hard to understand and not doing well even though you're working relatively hard, then drop it. There's no point in torturing yourself for another few months when you're already having trouble with the material.

That being said, you'll have to make sure to keep up with eco. It is fairly content heavy/theory based, but don't forget to keep up with current stats! The only way you'll write B6 standard essays is to constantly link theory to current economic events. Once you get that down, eco is a relatively easy subject to do well in. Good luck!

k4ren

HSC
yeah, i pretty much am a humanities person. if i drop chem, all of my electives besides maths would be humanities!

k4ren

HSC
If you're finding chem hard to understand and not doing well even though you're working relatively hard, then drop it. There's no point in torturing yourself for another few months when you're already having trouble with the material.

That being said, you'll have to make sure to keep up with eco. It is fairly content heavy/theory based, but don't forget to keep up with current stats! The only way you'll write B6 standard essays is to constantly link theory to current economic events. Once you get that down, eco is a relatively easy subject to do well in. Good luck!
thank you very much! you're very helpful! i'll keep that in mind

tutorsaustblog

HSC
Do the subject that you enjoy more as you're likey to put more effort into it. Good luck! :)

jack487

HSC
man up and just do what you gotta do, pick your best one, the more interesting one, then be better at it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like it should be economics from what you've said (I'm picking up you might like it more) but your chem rank is better than your eco.

But still sounds like you should drop chem and pick up on eco. I actually miss Eco-very theoretical subjects and good for those with good memory. His Ext and EE2 are not all I thought they would be cracked up to be :/

rogerlam

HSC
if your cohort in chem is doing relatively well, keep chem, it scales more than eco

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^They actually have quite a small scaling difference. Eco scales way better than the other humanities. I mean chem's a tinsy bit better but only a little.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Passions and interests first. I say if you're understanding Economics more over Chemistry then pick up Economics... but studying Chemistry has its advantages if you wish to study a Science degree and Economics for a Business and Commerce degree. The choice is yours. All the best and best of luck in the year ahead.

Imperfectionist

HSC
Definitely i suggest you drop CHEM ! I made a huge mistake keeping chem instead of economics ! I regret it real bad. Hope you don't do the same mistake. No matter what if you don't have an interest in Chem, you should DEFINITELY drop it.
Let me know which one u kept! thanks. cheers & good luck with HSC ! :)

k4ren

HSC
thanks everyone! :) i think i will pick up on eco more, but i will still keep chem and see how i'll go. my school's rank is quite low - 400-500 i think. i don't really have much interest in chem, but i'm just doing it cos that's the only science subject i have right now :/ don't know which course i want to do at uni either
i want to keep the rest of my other subjects too - legal, business and maths adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)