Advice on course at UC? (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
UC question

OK, I was looking through the courses supplied by UC, and I discovered a course that sounds great: Bachelor of Communications majoring in Creative Writing (http://www.canberra.edu.au/courses/index.cfm?action=detail&courseid=376BB).

The UAI cut-off is 76, which should be fine, but I have one problem: the "assumed knowledge" (note: "assumed", not "required") is Advanced English, and I did Standard English.
I got in the 80s for my HSC mark, which less than 2% of the State did, and the teacher said I should have been in Advanced, so do you think that if I did the course I could handle it, or will the workload be too hard?

Does anyone know of anyone in my situation who went ahead and did the course at Canberra Uni, or have any other advice?

Thanks!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hello,
First - Congrats on getting that mark in Standard English- very rare!! (as you said top 2% of state!!)

From my understanding ALL courses at UC (or 99.99%) Require Adv English and Maths as ASSUMED knowledged. They don't reject you because you haven't done it... My friend done Standard English and did well (not as well as you) and is doing fine in his course.

I believe you will be fine; as with your mark you must be able to write good solid essays etc.. If you do have trouble there is a Academic Helpdesk that can help with english; but i dont think you will need it..

sorry but i dont know anyone doing that course

Chris462

yeah pretty much everything i have looked at requires adavnced english as assumed knowledge, it wont affect you too much with marks like that, its not like advanced english learns anything that standard doesnt, the course im looking at has adv english as a ass knowledge but im doing it anyway...

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Thank you for this!
I've decided to change my preference and the course is now at the top of my list!

Here's hoping :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)