Advice needed: Standard/Advanced English (Reconsidering) (1 Viewer)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Hey guys. Was just after some advice on whether I should pick standard or advanced English for my senior years.

All subject choices are already due, however one of my other choices were full, so I have a few days to rethink my subjects.

Okay so here's the deal! The top 50 students are strongly recommended to do Advanced English. I was informed by my interviewer that I'm in the top 50. However, English, to me, is one of my weaknesses.

Currently I'm in one of the lowest English classes as we are grouped according to our results from the previous year (I made no efforts in Year 9 English, hence why I'm in the class). So I told the situation to my teacher, and she still advised me to do Standard English.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards Standard, which is basically taking the easy way out. But then again.. ahh I just don't know!

Should I listen to my teacher, or my results?

Help? :)

Thanks in advance!

topdeck

HSC
I would say do advanced. It is always easier to drop down to standard than it would be to move up to advanced. Plus it is impossible to get a band six in standard.

specialkay

HSC
N/A
My opinion is choose Advance not Standard. I've heard from many others that the Advanced course is not that much more harder than the Standard and that is is pretty similar? But I'm really not sure whether that's true.
My english is pretty poor too but I chose Advanced anyway bcos if I can't keep up, I can drop down. It's better to drop down than do something that's too easy for you and not be able to go up to Advanced.
It's really up to you. Good luck with your decision =)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Advanced english, considering your rank. its about your own choice, however. i think theres jsut one extra text in Advanced english, and it scales you much better than Standard.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Kujah said:
and it scales you much better than Standard.
What I don't get is this scaling business with Standard and Advanced English. Majority of the people I've talked to says that Advanced scales better, but my sister who has recently completed her HSC says that it scales the same.

I know that I should try Advanced, but just the fact that my own English teacher advised me to do Standard, despite my marks and rank, shot me down a bit.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Faytle said:
What I don't get is this scaling business with Standard and Advanced English. Majority of the people I've talked to says that Advanced scales better, but my sister who has recently completed her HSC says that it scales the same.

I know that I should try Advanced, but just the fact that my own English teacher advised me to do Standard, despite my marks and rank, shot me down a bit.
Advanced and Standard are scaled exactly the same, and are graded as one subject in the HSC.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well the preliminary year is not examinable so you have that year to play around in Advanced and then make your decision. At the very least, if its too much for you to do in your HSC year then you may have developed more skills in english by trying this class out for now.

At the end of the day though, it depends on how much you want to study english and if Shakespeare[who is mandatory for the advanced course] is really your thing.

Advanced and Standard are scaled exactly the same, and are graded as one subject in the HSC.
It is correct that they are scaled the same for the purposes of the UAI, but for the HSC and its mark allocations it is considered a different course. This is part of why less than ten people have achieved Band 6 in the last 6 or so years in Standard and a small percentage achieve a Band 5.

Last edited:

steban

violin dude
HSC
yeah i always got confused with the whole, standard/advance being one subject...but then the advance course had a seperate scaling along with being scaled together with the standard, i was like... WHO!!!, so yeah

i find it strange, u guys get to pick your english classes, we just do the assessments during the year, get ranked and watever, then when the subject selection time came, we didnt choose wateva english, it was like 'english', then the teacher see the top watever students then they are the new advance class. but yeah, if u dun have the marks, teacher will put u straight into standard. so yeah, our preferences dont really matter if we are failing bad aha. though i was let into english extension so i presume advance will be coming my way lolz

iEdd

HSC
Remember the english HSC exam is two papers:
English: (Standard and Advanced)
then a second one, which is different depending on whether you do standard or advanced - and advanced scales better here. (I think.)
Have a look at 2001-2003 scaled means.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Same advice as everyone else, doing Advanced first :D

I didn't have a choice a year ago as everyone in year 11 at my school does Adv English, but you do have the choice to drop to Std for year 12. Back then I was thinking, "Heh, I'd most probably drop after year 11, or maybe even ESL," but it turned out that I was in the top 30 for year 11, so now I've decided to stay in adv. Just try it anyhow, what have you got to lose? :p

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Thanks a lot everyone for your input!

I'll try my hand at Advanced and see how it goes next year.
:)

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
Faytle said:
(I made no efforts in Year 9 English, hence why I'm in the class).

To be honest, I'm leaning towards Standard, which is basically taking the easy way out. But then again.. ahh I just don't know!

as u said urself, u made no effort in yr 9 english...but then when u get into years 11 and 12 things are a bit different. u have to put the effort into all ur subjects to get good marks. if ur not wanting to put the effort into advanced, maybe u should go down to standard. but let me remind u, as a person who did standard (after dropping from advanced) BOTH SUBJECTS REQUIRE A LOT OF HARD WORK. standard english isnt the 'easy way out.':sleep:

L

lala91

we can only do english advanced if we do an entire series of novel analysis' in year 10, and only if the teachers recommend us to do advance.
if we dont complete even one of the analysis', we cant do advance.
if the teacher doesn't recommend us, we can't do advance.
this sucks, as i kind of have a teacher who isnt an english teacher..and we dont get along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)