• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advice/Info for 2004 HSC students (1 Viewer)

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
thatd depend on ur hsc experience

in my experience unis alot like the hsc...in terms ull alwayd have assessments loomin oevr you....but in terms of constant study...it depends on ur own knowledge in teh subject..how its structured, its easier in teh sense they tell u whats gonna be exaomined, its harder because no ones gonna hold you or push you

but ;
*expect t be lonely at first
* work out where your library is, ull need to know
* be careful with fines
*learn about all the pros and cons, if u pm me for usyd, natstar for uws, santat slayer for uow..ect ect im sure wed all be more then ahppy to tell u all the insider ideas (where the best coffee is...ect ect)
* work out soem time managemnet the pentalties for late work suck
* hds can be easy and cant not be depends on teh subject and how good/ lucky you are
* stress is relative i dont find uni stressful but i do a degree i adore, the people at my uni are awsome
* if your lecturer mentions a book they DO expect u to go read it
* do your tute reading tutors can tell when u havent
* if you dont do your tute reading ull be stuffed for exams
* dont buy text books till u get the EXACT list from your lecturer!

thats all i can think of for now...prospective usyd student i have a email of handy hint (im a mentor for arts) so if u want ill email such tips to you

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
u only do 2 classes of 1 subject per week- 1 tute and 1 lectuer
science units at my uni are typically 3 hrs of lecs and 3 hrs of labs each week, the lectures covering completely new material each lec, and the labs often requiring several pages of lab reports...joyous days.

anyways, expect to have fun, but don't expect it to be all a massive piss-up/orgy, there is serious work involved.

Lainee

HSC
shelley said:
*learn about all the pros and cons, if u pm me for usyd, natstar for uws, santat slayer for uow..ect ect im sure wed all be more then ahppy to tell u all the insider ideas (where the best coffee is...ect ect)
Ohhh, I want some insider ideas! Why couldn't you have gone to UNSW?! :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
shannonm said:
you people are , again, overrating uni to these poor hsc kids

what they say is correct if they are going for a HD average or something, you can pretty safely to jack all for 80% of the session, and study during stuvac (at about half the intensity you probably did for hsc) and still pass decently
if you only want a pass and just a pass you can probabyl get away with less work as above. but if you want decent marks you're going to have to work hard.
the courses are demanding so no work for the whole semester means you'll be well and truly stuffed when exam time comes.

so don't expect to bludge

expect to be there for less hours and still not manage to do anything constructive with your free time

Shen86d

HSC
lol.. very true..

how many hours per week is a course usually?

Shen86d

HSC
also.. for the new courses.. do u still need at least like.. at least 75+ uai to get into them ?

Shen86d

HSC
oh and antoher thing, on my uac guide, it only shows the new courses for 2004.. what of the new courses for 2005? where can i find those?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Morpheus said:
No one can tell you what uni is. You must experience it for yourself.
You will either hit it off with people or you won't. You will either love the subject manner or realise your preconceived ideas were totally false. You will either appreciate everyone treating you like an adult or you will drown in the amount of responsibility you suddenly get burdened with.

The main point would be that you are expected to be mature enough to be able to work things out for yourself. If the lecturer sucks don't go on a hissy fit, instead put the time in and read the notes and work with fellow students etc.

Also a lot of people suffer from big fish in a small pond to small fish in a big pond syndrome when they hit uni.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As nat said, the contact hours vary by uni and program and course choice...

For example, I have a friend doing journalism (or similar) at UNE, she had a grand total of 4 contact hours per week, only one of which was compulsory.
Another friend, doing Economics/Law at Newcastle had around about 10ish

Whereas science units (at Newcastle, at least) typically have 6 contact hrs/week (3 hrs lecs, 3 hrs labs), so you can expect upto around 24 contact hrs/week.

However, what the other programs lack in contact hours, from what I can figure, they more than make up for in required readings...like, science units there typically aren't any required readings (although, good luck with the labs if you don't do some voluntary reading beforehand!) [with the exception of the reading you will do for lab reports, my reference list is usually the best part of a page long!], whereas friends in programs with less contact hours spend hours at a time reading.

EDIT: but along with program choice, course choice also plays a role, for us, 'true' science units (eg, biology, chem, etc) have the 6 contact hrs/week, whereas other "science" units, such as geog or psych (the " because the validity of calling them a science is questionable) may have 3-5 hrs/week.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
All universities have a prescribed rule for study, somewhere. At UoW, the amount of study you should do totally for one subject per week (including lectures/tutorials) are the amount of credit points doubled in hours. That is, a normal six credit point subject needs twelve hours of total time spent on it weekly. An eight credit point subject needs sixteen. It works out so that per week, you're supposed to do forty-eight hours of study.

Exam period isn't like the HSC. It's much nicer. You were competing in the HSC, since the HSC was a ticket into uni. You're in uni now, you've got little to worry about. Exams should be easier.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ps get degrees. Whatever may come, just remember that line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)