Advice for Yr 11 student starting Advanced English (1 Viewer)

BabyBlueVamp

HSC
Hi,
I have chosen for the prelim course, advanced english.
can people give me advice on how to proceed in the course, what should i expect, tips and advice.. and like what types of assignments and assessments would i expect? Would there be creative writing as well as essays.
And this girl already gave me her valuable advice on writing essays, but i would like everyone's views on it.
How to write during exams, how to plan. How to best prepare for English. And anything about english, even if it regards what is in the new syllabus.
All help will be appreciated.. :D

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
umm, yes there is creative writing, english should basically be the same as previous years
basically just essays and creative writings and probably a speech somewhere as well.
To prepare for english, u shud know ur texts really well, and have written a few essays on ur texts with different questions and ask ur teacher what can be improved etc.

georgefren

HSC
okay - advanced english should be one of the easiest subjects your doing.

Memorise a general brief creative - its much more important to memorise specific wording and language than the structure.

Memorise a general brief essay plan - its much more important to memorise the structure and bulletpoint plan than specific wording. remember a few quotations that will work with any point and integrate them properly.

You may have a comprehension. Just answer the damn questions, this section is like a free 15 marks as long as you dont screw up.

There may be a speech ... i do debating and just did it like a debating speech. signposting and structure are the most important things.

BabyBlueVamp

HSC
Oh okay,, but like what study methods would u suggest. like shud i practise essays often.. or read more books.. lol..

and are there any books like excel english or sumthing.. that is good for advanced english preparation

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
BabyBlueVamp said:
Oh okay,, but like what study methods would u suggest. like shud i practise essays often.. or read more books.. lol..

and are there any books like excel english or sumthing.. that is good for advanced english preparation
reading books isn't very important, maybe for creative writings...but still not important.
u'll only need it maybe if ur doing a genre study for ext. english.
u shud work with ur teacher, ask for practise essays and feedback
as with english textbooks apparently they're releasing some soon but u probably dont need any for prelim, just get study guides if u feel u need them

rellenayyy

HSC
psh. i did shit all.
slept in pretty much every lesson. that i went to.
but i hate english.
placing 11th for me is like winn.
maybe i'll try this year.
i suggest you stay awake for all lessons though =]

-tal-

HSC
More than anything, know your set texts and related ones very well. I mean it, if you get a movie, you should be able to visualise most scenes and pick out techniques to write about.

Memorise the themes and important points and general idea of the module. If it's the comparative texts module, make sure you can draw parallels between the 2 texts.

Be original in your arguments. Always have an opinion on everything before consulting any books.

Constantly writing essays may help, but it's quite tedious when there are other ways of getting better at English. Just reading over your own essay (you are your biggest critic) and constantly rewriting that one essay is much better than writing different ones all the time. Turn that one essay into an epically perfect one.

Badger your teacher into checking your essay

Before tests, make sure you have memorised an introduction. You have no idea how hard it is to come up with a great one in the middle of an exam. Have a strong conclusion. Lots of people suck at this. Work on it a lot.

Creative writing is so easily underestimated. Can't help you much here, except to let yourself go wild. DON'T WRITE CLICHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

georgefren

HSC
agree with above.

although creative writing is only 15/105 marks in the advanced course, so its not THAT important. its much more important in 3unit, where its 25/50 marks. and of course in 4 unit, where it could be pretty much all.

suzlee

HSC
-tal- said:
Before tests, make sure you have memorised an introduction. You have no idea how hard it is to come up with a great one in the middle of an exam. Have a strong conclusion. Lots of people suck at this. Work on it a lot.
thank you so much! you're great help...
and other people too :)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
agree with above.

although creative writing is only 15/105 marks in the advanced course, so its not THAT important. its much more important in 3unit, where its 25/50 marks. and of course in 4 unit, where it could be pretty much all.
So are Essays and Creative Writing the only texts that you'll be asked to write during the Advanced English HSC Exam.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
So are Creative Writing and Essays the only Text Types that you'll be asked to write during the Advanced English HSC Exam?

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
can someone pls list the topics that are covered in Advanced and Extension English?

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I have chosen for the prelim course, advanced english.
can people give me advice on how to proceed in the course, what should i expect, tips and advice.. and like what types of assignments and assessments would i expect? Would there be creative writing as well as essays.
And this girl already gave me her valuable advice on writing essays, but i would like everyone's views on it.
How to write during exams, how to plan. How to best prepare for English. And anything about english, even if it regards what is in the new syllabus.
All help will be appreciated.. :D
read the text and practice finding techniques as quick as possible.
it will save your time a lot:)
and practice essay and creative writing

Freckles14

HSC
So are Creative Writing and Essays the only Text Types that you'll be asked to write during the Advanced English HSC Exam?
Not necessarily. You could be asked in Section 1 to write a speech, memoirs, travelogues, journal entries etc etc, not just a narrative. The Modules paper could have you writing in interview, speech or report format, not just essay format. They might offer up a choice of which format to use however.

As for general advice... read books. Lots of them. It'll improve your writing style and you can practise picking up techniques and all that. And make sure you can answer a technique question - use TIE as my English teacher tells us: name the Technique, Identify an example of it in the text, and then Explain what the composer's trying to tell you.

Actually read the texts. Don't just study-guide them or watch the movies. Read them from cover to cover, even if it's a sucky book such as Jane Austen's Emma.

Don't memorise essays. Seriously, just don't. But do know your texts inside-out. If you've only learned one essay you can only answer one question really well, but if you've learned the text, you can answer pretty much anything they throw at you.

That's all I can think of. :)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Not necessarily. You could be asked in Section 1 to write a speech, memoirs, travelogues, journal entries etc etc, not just a narrative. The Modules paper could have you writing in interview, speech or report format, not just essay format. They might offer up a choice of which format to use however.

As for general advice... read books. Lots of them. It'll improve your writing style and you can practise picking up techniques and all that. And make sure you can answer a technique question - use TIE as my English teacher tells us: name the Technique, Identify an example of it in the text, and then Explain what the composer's trying to tell you.

Actually read the texts. Don't just study-guide them or watch the movies. Read them from cover to cover, even if it's a sucky book such as Jane Austen's Emma.

Don't memorise essays. Seriously, just don't. But do know your texts inside-out. If you've only learned one essay you can only answer one question really well, but if you've learned the text, you can answer pretty much anything they throw at you.

That's all I can think of. :)
You're the first person who told me not to memorise essays.

jennieTalia

HSC
For the person who asked about Extension 1 english topics

You do one topic with 2 prescribed texts and 2 of your own choice.

The topic list should be in the Ext1 area :)
xxx

jennieTalia

HSC
You're the first person who told me not to memorise essays.

I'm the second
Fuck memorising them.
I got band six just by knowing my texts thoroughly and understanding what the hell I was talking about.

If you are going to memorise an essay, don't expect to be able to use it. Their questions are generally angled in some way to try and avoid people just plugging in prepared responses!

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I'm the second
Fuck memorising them.
I got band six just by knowing my texts thoroughly and understanding what the hell I was talking about.

If you are going to memorise an essay, don't expect to be able to use it. Their questions are generally angled in some way to try and avoid people just plugging in prepared responses!
What was your mark? Every kid I know who got 95+ memorised essays and worked on their adapting skills to incorporate it into an apt answer.

Is it a good idea to memorise short stories and write them in the Exam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)