Advice for Year 12? (1 Viewer)

ssoans

HSC
Particularly Study Habits and other things I should develop.

Any particular advice for Economics, English, Ext Maths & Physics would be appreciated.

thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The first thing to consider is to have a clear and well-organised study plan, which includes what you're going to study each day as well as how long you expect to be studying for based on what you're studying. Don't study fewer things than you should be as that may potentially make you fall behind in comparison to the rest of your peers. At the same time, make sure you don't study too many things in one go as that can be overwhelming and will negatively affect the effectiveness of your study plan as a result. Determining how much you should be studying each day can be done through multiple trials, meaning you can allocate yourself some tasks to complete on a particular day and see how you go. If you feel those tasks were not much of a problem and didn't take too much time to complete, you should probably add a few more tasks so that you can maximise productivity, allowing you to stay up to date with content.

For English, a good thing to do would be to seek feedback on your written pieces from your teacher as much as possible, allowing you to receive suggestions as to how you can improve your writing. Implementing your teacher's suggestions will likely allow you to improve the quality of your essays, and doing this throughout year 12 will ensure your writing is at its best as you get closer to the HSC exam.

For Economics, I believe knowledge of the content is important, meaning you should regularly be studying and staying up to date with your Economics content, particularly when considering potentially difficult concepts that you might struggle with (in which case you should seek assistance as soon as possible, as you don't want to fall behind). I also think that familiarising yourself with the syllabus would be a good idea, as this may potentially allow you to assess your own knowledge of the content, as well as determining which concepts you feel are the most difficult and may need to focus more on.

I hope this helps! :D

ssoans

HSC
The first thing to consider is to have a clear and well-organised study plan, which includes what you're going to study each day as well as how long you expect to be studying for based on what you're studying. Don't study fewer things than you should be as that may potentially make you fall behind in comparison to the rest of your peers. At the same time, make sure you don't study too many things in one go as that can be overwhelming and will negatively affect the effectiveness of your study plan as a result. Determining how much you should be studying each day can be done through multiple trials, meaning you can allocate yourself some tasks to complete on a particular day and see how you go. If you feel those tasks were not much of a problem and didn't take too much time to complete, you should probably add a few more tasks so that you can maximise productivity, allowing you to stay up to date with content.

For English, a good thing to do would be to seek feedback on your written pieces from your teacher as much as possible, allowing you to receive suggestions as to how you can improve your writing. Implementing your teacher's suggestions will likely allow you to improve the quality of your essays, and doing this throughout year 12 will ensure your writing is at its best as you get closer to the HSC exam.

For Economics, I believe knowledge of the content is important, meaning you should regularly be studying and staying up to date with your Economics content, particularly when considering potentially difficult concepts that you might struggle with (in which case you should seek assistance as soon as possible, as you don't want to fall behind). I also think that familiarising yourself with the syllabus would be a good idea, as this may potentially allow you to assess your own knowledge of the content, as well as determining which concepts you feel are the most difficult and may need to focus more on.

I hope this helps! :D

Thank you, it really does!
'ppreciate it

tito981

HSC
2 tips that i think are the most important for assessments:
-For internal assessments, try to finish most of the content that you are going to be assessed in that term at least 2 weeks before your actual exam (I finished most of my content 3 weeks before).
-After finishing content, find the relevant dot point that you are going to be assessed on and do past papers on them. Aim to know every type of question you are going to be asked and every variation of that question, and the level of knowledge you have on that dot point should be proportional to the marks that it is worth in the exam (e.g. dont study a dot point in great detail if they only tend to be worth 1-2 marks in an exam).

icycledough

HSC

Any particular advice for Economics, English, Ext Maths & Physics would be appreciated.

thank you!
I didn't do Physics or Economics in Year 12, so I can only give you some advice on English and Maths.

Maths - (I'm assuming you're doing 4U Maths cause your other 3 subjects add up to 6 units, assuming English is advanced, if not should apply anyway). 4U is definitely one of the hardest HSC subjects to fully nail down in terms of the topics and understanding how to apply knowledge into practice questions. I would first make sure that you have a solid foundation of 3U Maths, as the two can often collide, and Harder 3U is even a topic which can be assessed in 4U. Next, you should make sure you're thorough with the 2021 rubric and know all the topics they can assess (which in your case would be Proof, Vectors, Complex Numbers, Calculus and Mechanics). Now that you are leading up to the HSC only a few months away, now would be the best time to start getting into the routine of doing past papers, and making sure you are doing them regularly and emanating exam conditions, so a 3hr break without any distractions, just the exam and some paper to write your answers. When marking as well, I tended to mark on the harsher side to make sure I wasn't being too generous (obviously if you've done all the right steps then you can give yourself full marks). A small notebook where you note down your mistakes as well can be very useful leading up to the exam, so you can look over the mistakes you've made and how to make sure you don't make these in the exam.

English - as I'm sure you know, you have 4 modules, each requiring a different style of analysis (comparative, critical, creative, etc). Obviously as I'm sure you've heard before, you have 2 options for English: to memorise an essay but make sure you have practiced adapting it to different questions or remembering quotes and analysis and forming your essay with these as the core foundation. Whichever you choose, make sure you fully know your texts inside out and are ready to answer any type of question. A good tip I was told was that for each module, you want to read the rubric and highlight the key rubric words for each module (for example, Module B = critical analysis, critics Module A = resonances, dissonances, etc.) and try to incorporate these ideas into your essays. This way, the marker knows that you have not just done the minimum but that you have gone the extra step and that you actually know your rubrics very well, allowing them to reward you with extra marks when possible. With regards to exam preparation, you can try setting yourself 5 minutes less (so for Paper 2, you could try 35 mins for each essay rather than 40 mins, to allow 5 mins for quickly planning your response). Get as many drafts as done and send them to anyone you can for marking (teachers, tutors, etc.) and feedback.

Hope this helps and good luck for your HSC exams :)

ssoans

HSC
2 tips that i think are the most important for assessments:
-For internal assessments, try to finish most of the content that you are going to be assessed in that term at least 2 weeks before your actual exam (I finished most of my content 3 weeks before).
-After finishing content, find the relevant dot point that you are going to be assessed on and do past papers on them. Aim to know every type of question you are going to be asked and every variation of that question, and the level of knowledge you have on that dot point should be proportional to the marks that it is worth in the exam (e.g. dont study a dot point in great detail if they only tend to be worth 1-2 marks in an exam).
thank you, ill keep this in mind

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

thank you!
For physics try learn the content in depth rather than just basic understanding. Helps make your answers sound better and stand out. Also remember you can use dot points, subheadings, tables, diagrams, in short answer questions for better formatting.

HSC
I would first make sure that you have a solid foundation of 3U Maths, as the two can often collide, and Harder 3U is even a topic which can be assessed in 4U.
I'm no expert on the 4u syllabus, but I thought harder 3u was removed in the syllabus change? Can't find it in the new syllabus document.

icycledough

HSC
I'm no expert on the 4u syllabus, but I thought harder 3u was removed in the syllabus change? Can't find it in the new syllabus document.
Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that. In that case, it'd be best to refer to the latest syllabus

nourished.

HSC

Just study a bit everyday. Online flashcard systems (ie Leitner System) are extremely useful.

The (made up) rule of thumb is: 1 hour everyday is equivalent to 10 hours later on.
  • Maths - do past papers, or practice questions.
  • Economics - prepare cheatsheets for each important concept.
  • English - write your essays early.
  • Physics - do practice questions.
Pick 2 subjects everyday and the corresponding task.

ssoans

HSC
I didn't do Physics or Economics in Year 12, so I can only give you some advice on English and Maths.

Maths - (I'm assuming you're doing 4U Maths cause your other 3 subjects add up to 6 units, assuming English is advanced, if not should apply anyway). 4U is definitely one of the hardest HSC subjects to fully nail down in terms of the topics and understanding how to apply knowledge into practice questions. I would first make sure that you have a solid foundation of 3U Maths, as the two can often collide, and Harder 3U is even a topic which can be assessed in 4U. Next, you should make sure you're thorough with the 2021 rubric and know all the topics they can assess (which in your case would be Proof, Vectors, Complex Numbers, Calculus and Mechanics). Now that you are leading up to the HSC only a few months away, now would be the best time to start getting into the routine of doing past papers, and making sure you are doing them regularly and emanating exam conditions, so a 3hr break without any distractions, just the exam and some paper to write your answers. When marking as well, I tended to mark on the harsher side to make sure I wasn't being too generous (obviously if you've done all the right steps then you can give yourself full marks). A small notebook where you note down your mistakes as well can be very useful leading up to the exam, so you can look over the mistakes you've made and how to make sure you don't make these in the exam.

English - as I'm sure you know, you have 4 modules, each requiring a different style of analysis (comparative, critical, creative, etc). Obviously as I'm sure you've heard before, you have 2 options for English: to memorise an essay but make sure you have practiced adapting it to different questions or remembering quotes and analysis and forming your essay with these as the core foundation. Whichever you choose, make sure you fully know your texts inside out and are ready to answer any type of question. A good tip I was told was that for each module, you want to read the rubric and highlight the key rubric words for each module (for example, Module B = critical analysis, critics Module A = resonances, dissonances, etc.) and try to incorporate these ideas into your essays. This way, the marker knows that you have not just done the minimum but that you have gone the extra step and that you actually know your rubrics very well, allowing them to reward you with extra marks when possible. With regards to exam preparation, you can try setting yourself 5 minutes less (so for Paper 2, you could try 35 mins for each essay rather than 40 mins, to allow 5 mins for quickly planning your response). Get as many drafts as done and send them to anyone you can for marking (teachers, tutors, etc.) and feedback.

Hope this helps and good luck for your HSC exams :)

thank you!!

ssoans

HSC
For physics try learn the content in depth rather than just basic understanding. Helps make your answers sound better and stand out. Also remember you can use dot points, subheadings, tables, diagrams, in short answer questions for better formatting.
I'll remember that, ty!

ssoans

HSC
Just study a bit everyday. Online flashcard systems (ie Leitner System) are extremely useful.

The (made up) rule of thumb is: 1 hour everyday is equivalent to 10 hours later on.
  • Maths - do past papers, or practice questions.
  • Economics - prepare cheatsheets for each important concept.
  • English - write your essays early.
  • Physics - do practice questions.
Pick 2 subjects everyday and the corresponding task.
thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)