Advice for uni preferences (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
So last chance to change preferences end in a few days, and I'm still unsure how to rank my preferences, and what path I should take.
I wanted to do a combined law degree at either USYD, or UNSW, but my ATAR (98.7) is below the cut off which is about 99.7
So if anyone could give any advice for my questions, it would be greatly appreciated :)

1) I applied for EAS, and was wondering if USYD or UNSW tend to give out bonus points for combined law, or are there a very limited amount of spots available, and would probably go to students with a higher ATAR. *note: I applied after the on time applications, but before the final closing date. Will this severely affect my chances of being granted bonus points?=|

2)How difficult is it to transfer from combined law at UTS into UNSW or USYD?

3) If I chose a degree that I realised wasn't suited to me, when is the earliest I can transfer out?

4)I didn't do any sciences for my HSC, but did chem in prelims, and do have an interest in the science field. If I did a Bachelor of Science would that disadvantage me, even if I completed a bridging course ?

Thankyouuu:)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
1)Both unis accept EAS for Combined Law. USYD only accepts about 30 students through that scheme. Last year's cut off for entry under that scheme was like 97.80. UNSW doesn't have a cap but it also cuts off around 96-97. I am not too sure if it will affect you getting bonus points.

2) Transferring across uni is done through UAC. I don't know about other unis by at UNSW we guarantee at least 100 spots for internal transfer, meaning if you did a degree at UNSW and wish to transfer to do combine/law, there are at least 100 spots. The WAM required is around 80 (although this year they accepted people with a WAM of 76).

If you are able to transfer from UTS to either USYD/UNSW, you might not get all your courses recognised as equivalent courses. Thefore you will have to spend extra time at uni to catch up or extend the length of your degree.

3)With combined degrees you can drop one of the degree asap. If you are doing Combined Law at UNSW, I know that you can swap the degree you are combining with law whenever but must be by about Week 4 of that semester.

Don't know about other unis but at UNSW generally after 1 year.

4)I don't do science so I won't know.

irenefu

HSC
1)Both unis accept EAS for Combined Law. USYD only accepts about 30 students through that scheme. Last year's cut off for entry under that scheme was like 97.80. UNSW doesn't have a cap but it also cuts off around 96-97. I am not too sure if it will affect you getting bonus points.

2) Transferring across uni is done through UAC. I don't know about other unis by at UNSW we guarantee at least 100 spots for internal transfer, meaning if you did a degree at UNSW and wish to transfer to do combine/law, there are at least 100 spots. The WAM required is around 80 (although this year they accepted people with a WAM of 76).

If you are able to transfer from UTS to either USYD/UNSW, you might not get all your courses recognised as equivalent courses. Thefore you will have to spend extra time at uni to catch up or extend the length of your degree.

3)With combined degrees you can drop one of the degree asap. If you are doing Combined Law at UNSW, I know that you can swap the degree you are combining with law whenever but must be by about Week 4 of that semester.

Don't know about other unis but at UNSW generally after 1 year.

4)I don't do science so I won't know.
Wow thanks for the info!:)
When you say USYD only accepts 30 ppl under the EAS scheme, is that just for combined law, or does that include all the courses that they offer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)