Advice for timetable :( (1 Viewer)

yasminee96

HSC
Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 9.24.40 pm.png

This^ is my timetable. I'm pretty much fine with most days - i'll deal with them - but i'm having a great dilemma with my tuesday.
Not only do I not get a break, but my BABS lab is all the way on bio sciences, and then immediately after i have a chem lecture back down in law.

So like...that's physically impossible to do lol.

I've tried so many different combinations, and I can't seem to get a timetable that isn't either so packed together that i legit have NO lunch breaks, or I have a problem like this where by the time i actually get to my lecture, i've pretty much missed half of it lol.

And I can't stay back till like 8 or 9 because I live 1.5 hours away and don't drive, and idk i don't feel comfortable taking a train or bus that late at night to my area.

So, my question is, how would I be able to cope with my tuesday timetable? Am I best off watching my chem lecture on tuesday online? And if I am, what happens if it's not available ? :/

any reply will be appreciated >< thank you

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most labs don't go for all three hours anyway - and so you should be able to duck out a few minutes early. If not, just chat with the lab assistant or whatever and say you have a next class at Law and you need to leave early. If you gain a rapport with him/her, they won't mind I'm sure - plus you won't miss much anyway.

Also eat in the lectures. No food that other people can smell, also no noisy food packaging as well - or your lecturer may ask you to leave. Quietly nibbling a sandwich is acceptable. Or, should be unless the lecturer is anal.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
hey i did math1131, babs1201 and chem1031 in my first semester too :) you're overreacting a lot haha. unless you have a disability or something (my bad if you do), it isn't physically impossible to do, it's downhill and will take 5-10 minutes at a reasonable walking pace. classes start 5 minutes after the hour and finish 5 minutes before the hour so that's plenty of time, and it isnt the end of the world if you miss the first 5 minutes of a lecture. and from doing that lab last year, I can tell you it often ends early. eating in lectures is very time efficient :3 after first week there should be less people in lectures, so you can try and sit away from other people if you're afraid of bothering them. i used to catch trains home to parra by myself at 1am, nobody will mess with you if you're a badass motherfucker :cool2:

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah with what shadow dude said, most lab demonstrators are willing to let you out and you would usually be finished with that week' slab within the allocated time. I remember some groups would leave 2 hours in!!! That being said, I pretty much stayed for the full duration of all my labs. A lot of the people who left early slacked off. But your dilemma shouldn't be a problem.

I remember in first semester in first year I had a day from 9am to 9pm with breaks though but the 6-9pm lab was a real bummer. The only thing about late night classes is that the campus is quite beautiful with the walkway lights during the night and so quiet and peaceful.

Last edited:

yasminee96

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most labs don't go for all three hours anyway - and so you should be able to duck out a few minutes early. If not, just chat with the lab assistant or whatever and say you have a next class at Law and you need to leave early. If you gain a rapport with him/her, they won't mind I'm sure - plus you won't miss much anyway.

Also eat in the lectures. No food that other people can smell, also no noisy food packaging as well - or your lecturer may ask you to leave. Quietly nibbling a sandwich is acceptable. Or, should be unless the lecturer is anal.
This makes me feel a lot more calm, thank you! :)

hey i did math1131, babs1201 and chem1031 in my first semester too :) you're overreacting a lot haha. unless you have a disability or something (my bad if you do), it isn't physically impossible to do, it's downhill and will take 5-10 minutes at a reasonable walking pace. classes start 5 minutes after the hour and finish 5 minutes before the hour so that's plenty of time, and it isnt the end of the world if you miss the first 5 minutes of a lecture. and from doing that lab last year, I can tell you it often ends early. eating in lectures is very time efficient :3 after first week there should be less people in lectures, so you can try and sit away from other people if you're afraid of bothering them. i used to catch trains home to parra by myself at 1am, nobody will mess with you if you're a badass motherfucker :cool2:
I'm a lot less badass mofo and a lot more vulnerable girl...and I need to travel down to campbelltown...that station is scary in broad daylight - cant imagine night haha.

Yeah with what shadow dude said, most lab demonstrators are willing to let you out and you would usually be finished with that week' slab within the allocated time. I remember some groups would leave 2 hours in!!! That being said, I pretty much stayed for the full duration of all my labs. A lot of the people who left early slacked off. But your dilemma shouldn't be a problem.

I remember in first semester in first year I had a day from 9am to 9pm with breaks though but the 6-9pm lab was a real bummer. The only thing about late night classes is that the campus is quite beautiful with the walkway lights during the night and so quiet and peaceful.
So i should pretty much aim to get my lab stuff done so that i could leave early enough to get to my next lecture right? Sweet. Thanks.

Yeah i've seen pictures. But nope campbelltown station at around 10:30-11 is not as pretty...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you probably don't have to go to the lectures for chem if you did it in the hsc, they spend like the first 4 weeks on how to do mole calculations lol

yasminee96

HSC
you probably don't have to go to the lectures for chem if you did it in the hsc, they spend like the first 4 weeks on how to do mole calculations lol
I dropped chem like straight after titrations.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
Your chem 1031 lecture repeats on thursday, so you could skip the Tuesday one and do the Thursday one, giving yourself a break (I think).

yasminee96

HSC
Your chem 1031 lecture repeats on thursday, so you could skip the Tuesday one and do the Thursday one, giving yourself a break (I think).
I'm quite sure these lectures would cover different material?

She speaks the truth.
I always do.

?? Im curious but what happens? Im starting to tremble myself lel
hahaha, as a male (as double standard-ish as this sounds) it's not as bad for you. I had some creepy older bloke pretend he was lost and didn't know which bus to take, so that he could take the same bus as i, and asked me really personal questions and was uncomfortably close to me in broad daylight. Luckily my awfully scary dad decided it was a good idea to pick me up from the station that day...

Kittikhun

HSC
On the train at around evening time to deep night from Glenfield down to Macarthur station, you have a good chance of coming across drunkards; bogans; promiscuous and immodest women and men; feral kids; people who feel a need to talk at the top of their voices with every second word being the f word or something like that; very loud music with sexually suggestive lyrics also with swearing; sometimes the showing of private parts; bullying--basically anything anti-social you can think of happens at least a few times a day from Glenfield down to Macarthur station on the trains. I've even been threatened once at Minto station when some 12 year old bogan kid with his cap on the wrong way on his head saw some money I was carrying in my hand as I was walking down the platform. He said, 'Give us that money, I like it.' and was punching his fist against his hand trying to scare me to give him the money, but he didn't go through with it. He was probably trying to look hard to impress somebody, but if you just give them a blank face and then look away like you don't give a s&?%, they will most of the time do nothing.

I'm quite sure these lectures would cover different material?
hahaha, as a male (as double standard-ish as this sounds) it's not as bad for you. I had some creepy older bloke pretend he was lost and didn't know which bus to take, so that he could take the same bus as i, and asked me really personal questions and was uncomfortably close to me in broad daylight. Luckily my awfully scary dad decided it was a good idea to pick me up from the station that day...
Yeah, they will. To be frank, I think you're stressing too much about this, which is normal for someone who is just starting out at uni (I was the same as you). As said previously by others, 95% of the time for bio labs, you will finish early, sometimes even an hour early for some courses, therefore giving you enough time for a break. In some bio courses, a tutor may even offer an hour during the week for those who missed out on their scheduled lab to catch up on stuff they missed. You could also find a buddy in bio who isn't doing chem to write up notes for you or to just give you the answers. Also, from my experience, most of the questions in your bio prac book can be answered through research on the internet; the prac is only for hands-on experience, in my opinion. In fact, answer as many questions as you can in your prac book from research on the internet before the lab, and I'm sure you'll finish way early for maybe even a 90 minute break.

OK, I don't know what happened there, but my gut feeling says that you over-analysed it. Perhaps the bloke was really lost (he's old), or maybe he is a lonely chap and just wanted someone to talk to. Or he might be a divorced dad who has children that don't contact him anymore, and maybe you just remind him of one of his daughters who he misses. Who knows? From my experience, especially in Campbelltown, old people are really nice, and never molesters (only those oafish 30-50 year old blokes are, I reckon, and they are rare and mostly drunk when doing really stupid s&?%). I've had some really wonderful conversations on the train with old people--they are really nice people who just want to have a chat. In my opinion, if he isn't touching/groping you in any way or asking you about your romantic life, just have a friendly chat with him (I'm pretty sure he only asked you about school or your career aspirations and something like that). I'm not having a go at you, by the way--maybe he was being really creepy on you and was hitting on you romantically--but it just seems weird for an old bloke with white hair to be trying to seduce a young woman. Old people are usually very gentle and kind.

yasminee96

HSC
On the train at around evening time to deep night from Glenfield down to Macarthur station, you have a good chance of coming across drunkards; bogans; promiscuous and immodest women and men; feral kids; people who feel a need to talk at the top of their voices with every second word being the f word or something like that; very loud music with sexually suggestive lyrics also with swearing; sometimes the showing of private parts; bullying--basically anything anti-social you can think of happens at least a few times a day from Glenfield down to Macarthur station on the trains. I've even been threatened once at Minto station when some 12 year old bogan kid with his cap on the wrong way on his head saw some money I was carrying in my hand as I was walking down the platform. He said, 'Give us that money, I like it.' and was punching his fist against his hand trying to scare me to give him the money, but he didn't go through with it. He was probably trying to look hard to impress somebody, but if you just give them a blank face and then look away like you don't give a s&?%, they will most of the time do nothing.
Yes. This is pretty much a perfect summary of trains from glenfield to macarthur.

Yeah, they will. To be frank, I think you're stressing too much about this, which is normal for someone who is just starting out at uni (I was the same as you). As said previously by others, 95% of the time for bio labs, you will finish early, sometimes even an hour early for some courses, therefore giving you enough time for a break. In some bio courses, a tutor may even offer an hour during the week for those who missed out on their scheduled lab to catch up on stuff they missed. You could also find a buddy in bio who isn't doing chem to write up notes for you or to just give you the answers. Also, from my experience, most of the questions in your bio prac book can be answered through research on the internet; the prac is only for hands-on experience, in my opinion. In fact, answer as many questions as you can in your prac book from research on the internet before the lab, and I'm sure you'll finish way early for maybe even a 90 minute break.

OK, I don't know what happened there, but my gut feeling says that you over-analysed it. Perhaps the bloke was really lost (he's old), or maybe he is a lonely chap and just wanted someone to talk to. Or he might be a divorced dad who has children that don't contact him anymore, and maybe you just remind him of one of his daughters who he misses. Who knows? From my experience, especially in Campbelltown, old people are really nice, and never molesters (only those oafish 30-50 year old blokes are, I reckon, and they are rare and mostly drunk when doing really stupid s&?%). I've had some really wonderful conversations on the train with old people--they are really nice people who just want to have a chat. In my opinion, if he isn't touching/groping you in any way or asking you about your romantic life, just have a friendly chat with him (I'm pretty sure he only asked you about school or your career aspirations and something like that). I'm not having a go at you, by the way--maybe he was being really creepy on you and was hitting on you romantically--but it just seems weird for an old bloke with white hair to be trying to seduce a young woman. Old people are usually very gentle and kind.
Thank you so much! That's really relaxing me a lot more. And I guess that's true, even in school it was just pretty much to get hands-on experience in bio, as opposed to chem labs.

And nah, he wasn't THAT old. He was middle aged. Somewhere between 30-40 i'd say. Was asking me where abouts i lived, where i was going, where i was coming from - stuff like that. I answered to not be rude, because like you said hey he might just want to talk, but none of the info i said was true...just in case. Plus, as soon as my dad rocked up to pick me up, he didn't even say bye and just walked away...

But yeah, elderly people are generally really nice! :)

Kittikhun

HSC
OK, fair enough. You did the right thing. That guy is freaking freaky. Who the hell asks those types of questions to a stranger?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)