Not open for further replies.

bluecow

HSC
we have studies in the hall like and exam
lie 2 teachers walking up and down
if you talk its a afterschool or saturday detention

dp624

HSC
LOl, i didn't really do much in my frees except wind down. i had a very large amount of frees. i think what's good is to really concentrate in your 'work' periods, get done as much as possible, then you can really relax and wind down during the frees.
also it's nice to talk to people etc

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Huh, I just relax at school and do all the work at home (bar English)
I honestly believe that my school teachers are.. Crap (again, bar English)
So I pretty much relax in my actual work periods, and do all my studying in study periods + outside school. (see above)
That's also why I like to jig school and just go to the local library and study :D (usually when I don't have English)

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
I was convinced before to repeat Maths, but all my friends are telling me no o.0 And I partly don't want to change English classes. As much as I hate my teacher, I'm finally getting used to her xD

How much help would it be for my UAI if I got a few more marks for Extension 1? Looking at the past posts, I saw a "difference is huge in terms of scaled mark". How huge is "huge"? Would it make up for the marks I might lose in my other subjects as a result of the reduced time for study? I think I can improve, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Kind of scared to ask the teacher if I can repeat lol. ARGH I hate being at a low ranked school! I just want a bit higher and people think I aim too high!

PRO:
~Higher mark (hopefully)
~Thinking of studying 3U work anyway for Extension 2 so might as well repeat

CON:
~Lose study periods (bye bye Wednesday last period T_T I liked leaving at lunch)
~More time spent on Maths, less on my other subjects
~I don't like the teachers currently teaching 3U
~Need to change English classes

I think that's all. Even though there are twice as many cons as pros, they are worth different :S

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
ahhliss said:
Kind of scared to ask the teacher if I can repeat lol. ARGH I hate being at a low ranked school! I just want a bit higher and people think I aim too high!
How low is low?

jennieTalia

HSC
Learn things by heart EARLY. Commit quotes to memory, so your not faffling around with the easy crap by the exams.
Memorise facts... basically whatever you need.

I got 96.2, I was very happy with it, and I gotta say I stressed but didn't work too hard haha.
Make it easy for yourself.

Write quotes on bits of paper and stick them around the house in places you will read often e.g. next to your bed, top of computer screen, mirror in bathroom etc. Whilst you brush your teeth keep saying it in your head. Then after a month think about the quotes you know :).

Also, try doing things repetitively, keep a quote in your wallet and say every time you go and buy something, just read the quote/ formula quickly. Make a quote in your msn name, make it your computer background. These things quickly stick in our minds.

Another thing to try, which worked for me, was recording my notes. I put them into minute time slots on my phone and slept with it on repeat through some nights before assessments.

Combine your notes with something fun. Like poetry? Write a poem about WW2, like sport? Every time you try to shoot hoops or something in the garden, before you do it say a formula. If you get a formula wrong- do a pushup. Or something. Make it part of your fitness regime/something you do daily.

Research everything more than the average person. Your english texts etc- check them up on youtube, search scientists up/methods etc, you will be AMAZED what you find... and remember, funnier things mean that they will stick in your head more easily. Search through sparknotes or whatever, buy the study guides (or use your school library) for light reading if you have nothing better to do. Get out many different adaptations of your english texts.
Learn new words to replace crap ones using a Thesaurus for your English stories. Commit them to memory.

One thing I did, was that because I was working at Coles (even during my HSC) whenever I didn't have customers I would feed through a bit of the receipt paper and write down as many quotes as I could from Emma or something. And then after a few more customers I would do another text. Use your free time, especially if you are just sitting there.

Practice essays etc everyone tells you to do, so I won't go into the importance of that... BUT DEFINATELY READ THROUGH ALL PAST QUESTIONS AND PLAN THEM IN YOUR HEAD at the EXTREME minimum.
Have a SMALL half page list on each subject that has the core topics and the pieces within them you need to know. Every now and again come back to it and work your way through, checking that you remember everything. Re-reading is also a good idea. And use YELLOW HIGHLIGHTER and post-its (Yellow is apparently the colour our brain remembers most).

I'm a visual learner so I made use of my textbooks with my friend and we re-captioned all the pictures in them with something funny about things we have done e.g. Me and Pauline playing hide-and-seek. originally it was for a laugh, but then it helped me to remember the Iron Curtain and things like that in Modern later on!

I'm not sciencey or mathsy, so this is more for the drama/histories kids out there.

Being organised is really important. I sort of skipped this and couldn't find anything to study with during HSC weeks :O. But remember, the more notes you write, read and gather... THE MORE YOU GET TO BURN AT THE END OF IT (And that feeling is damn good)

jennieTalia

HSC
dp624 said:
LOl, i didn't really do much in my frees except wind down. i had a very large amount of frees. i think what's good is to really concentrate in your 'work' periods, get done as much as possible, then you can really relax and wind down during the frees.
also it's nice to talk to people etc
I spent a lot of frees doodling. Hahahaha :)
And ended up making about 3 picture books. life is sweet :D

katie21792

HSC
gurmies said:
You can get 100 with any combination of subjects provided you do well. That is, however, highly dependent on scaling and allignment. In laymans terms, there's an inverse relationship with how high up YOU have to be in comparison to your school's rank. What I mean is that suppose you want 99+. I know at my school Sydney Tech, you need to come approximately top 10 to get that mark, as my school is now 33rd (-_-). At other schools such as James Ruse, I think you can still rank 100th and get a UAI of 99+.
wow your school is across the road to my school. I don't even know what my school is ranked, but apparently it went up this year so fingers crossed.

wLym

HSC
My advice:

1. Dont let bad marks get you down. Its the ranking taht counts. You need a lot of push and energy for the trials and the external exams.
2. Do assessments not for the marks, but to learn the content. Remember, marks from your asseessments are moderated by the school, and the only assessment mark you will get in the end is based on external examinations and ranks. External exams are the important ones!
3. Remember to focus on the syllabus content that is not included in assessments. A lot of people concentrate too much on assessments, and forget about otehr important syllabus content, mainly small detail. Plugging in gaps is very important.
4. Dont concentrate on the time you have wasted. A couple of weeks is a long time, just dont lose heart, and use the couple of weeks you DO have left to the best of your ability. Youd be surprised how much track you can make for in 2 weeks, or even a week (if you are confident and work well). <---remember this piece of advise in the time between trials and the actual hsc.
5. If something doesnt feel right, inform your parents and teachers immediately. Dont let anything spiral out of control until the last minute.
6. Try your best, and dont aim for a UAI, you will only become obsessed with it. Aim to do your best, and to make the most of the experience. There is no worser feeling than coming out of the hsc, and realising that you focused on the wrong things. Just make it simple, and do what is in front of you, dont obsess about the otehr stuff.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
wLym said:
My advice:

1. Dont let bad marks get you down. Its the ranking taht counts. You need a lot of push and energy for the trials and the external exams.
2. Do assessments not for the marks, but to learn the content. Remember, marks from your asseessments are moderated by the school, and the only assessment mark you will get in the end is based on external examinations and ranks. External exams are the important ones!
3. Remember to focus on the syllabus content that is not included in assessments. A lot of people concentrate too much on assessments, and forget about otehr important syllabus content, mainly small detail. Plugging in gaps is very important.
4. Dont concentrate on the time you have wasted. A couple of weeks is a long time, just dont lose heart, and use the couple of weeks you DO have left to the best of your ability. Youd be surprised how much track you can make for in 2 weeks, or even a week (if you are confident and work well). <---remember this piece of advise in the time between trials and the actual hsc.
5. If something doesnt feel right, inform your parents and teachers immediately. Dont let anything spiral out of control until the last minute.
6. Try your best, and dont aim for a UAI, you will only become obsessed with it. Aim to do your best, and to make the most of the experience. There is no worser feeling than coming out of the hsc, and realising that you focused on the wrong things. Just make it simple, and do what is in front of you, dont obsess about the otehr stuff.
Good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)