Advice for group tutoring? (1 Viewer)

FridgeBoy

HSC
Hi everyone,

I completed the HSC last year and have been doing some one-on-one private maths tutoring. This year a number of people have expressed interest in group sessions. There is obviously more money to be made by offering group sessions but I don’t want to be giving bad quality tutoring to each individual student.

I am wondering how other maths tutors run group sessions. Do you spend some time with each student like a classroom teacher would? Do you teach everyone the same topic or cover a range of different material? How do you set up your class? Do longer sessions of say two hours work better?

I would also be interested to hear what people charge per person for a group session.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thanks

andrew12678

HSC
Although I've retired from tutoring to focus on my career I used to primarily tutor in groups and occasionally in maths (I generally did Phys/Chem more). I set up a spare room in my house which had a whiteboard and two rows of desks and seats so it was literally a classroom-I would definitely that this was worth the investment. I just went through the content on the whiteboard with a set of the class notes provided to the students as well and stopped if anyone had any questions. Students would generally add on anything interesting I would say onto the notes. Additionally I provided a compilations of typical questions along with the notes so I could go through examples if necessary. I pretty much only had 2 hour classes but closer to the exams I would be willing to do up to 4hour marathons. I would charge depending on number of students but my baseline was probably $20 ph for 4 students. Group tutoring is a lot more effort than private because you are expected to prepare more but at the same time you get paid more and is whole different experience on its own-I would dare say it is probably better for your communication skills as well. Best of luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)