advice about subjects (1 Viewer)

Breakingthegirl

HSC
good evening...i'm the newest member of BOS!
how exciting!:)
so here i am...all ambitious...porting a new thread.
i was just hopping to gain some advice about dropping a subject. I do 13 units at the moment...but am thinking about dropping 2umath.
my preliminary report revealed that i was either 1st or 2nd in every subject except 2umath which was a 7th. Do you think dropping math would be a disadvantage?
i don't particularly enjoy math....i'm doing averagly atm.
i realise that nobody cares...but if anyone has any wisdom...hit me with it
thanx

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Haha we care, just don't show it at times. ;)

Umm... 7th out of how many? Also, depends what your mark was exactly, how good your school generally performs in the HSC, etc. 7th is still a pretty good rank, though.

Oh, and welcome to BOS. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It all depends on what your other subjects our, what UAI you are aiming for and is 2 unit mathematics needed for your career path? What is your 2 unit rank out of 7th? All of your other ranks are excellent and if you carry them through to the end of the HSC you should have little trouble assuming you preform in the exams getting a good UAI.

Welcome Breakingthegirl to BOS.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Yeah, but Breakingthegirl could be coming 7th, and like, getting 99%. Of course, that means that 6 people got 100%. :p
But ranks do matter, and seeing from how good you did in your other subjects, it's probably highly likely that if you put just that little bit more effort, you could raise your rank in maths.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Breaking THE GIRL!!!!!!

ELL OHH ELL!!!!!!!111!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Welcome to BoS Btg! :wave:

In addition to what the others have said, I think you should consider if you have enough time to spend on each of your subjects. Is it too much work for you? Or are you handling the 13 units fine? If it's a little too much work, you could consider dropping maths.

Also, what course are you thinking of doing in uni? Because many subjects require you to have studied at least 2 units of maths for the HSC.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
7th might not sound as excellent as 1st or 2nd. You have very high expectations of yourself, which is great.

Your preliminary rank is not necessarily an indicator of your performance in the HSC. My mathematics rank in year 11 was way below the middle but I ended up being 6/~120 at the end of year 12. If you continue to be consistent and push yourself a little, you'll have no trouble topping maths.

My suggestion would be to keep maths, as it is an assumed knowledge in many university courses, such as Medicine and Engineering. However, if you're set out on studying something that you know won't require maths, you can drop it.

Good luck!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
true!

welcome to BoS first of all.

and u can keep all 13 units for now; and see how the HSC course is and how u are doing in it. for all u knw; u could be a genius in maths and magically accelerate (marks wise) in it.
if (however) u don't like a subject later on in the year; u can always approach ur year advisor and ask to drop the subject!

all up to you ...

P

pLuvia

Welcome to BoS~!

If you find stress with those 13 units than by all means drop it if you don't like it, but if you don't then don't, it's good to have back up subjects.

But as Dreamerish*~ said, preliminary is not necessarily an indication of how well you did or how well other people did, also if you physics it will help

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Firstly, welcome to BoS. :)

i don't particularly enjoy math....i'm doing averagly atm.
My advice is that if you don't enjoy the subject, and you're not likely to start enjoying the subject, drop it. Your workload is heavy as it is, so your time is stretched fairly thinly. The most important thing about HSC subject choices is that you like the ones you pick. At the very least, you need to be able to motivate yourself to study, and if you don't really like it, this gets harder and harder.

Riviet and Dreamerish have excellent points about maths and uni - it is a prerequisitie for many subjects, although you can take bridging courses later on. However, if you're not looking to take a degree needing maths, that removes this from the equation.

In the end, the decision's up to you. Remember that you can still get top results in the HSC no matter what subjects you do - as long as you do well in those subjects. If you don't like Maths, and you're not going to start liking Maths, drop. You've got 13 units and it sounds as though you're already doing quite well across the board. Dropping Maths will give you more time for your other subjects, and remove what could very well become a tiresome chore. That's my take. :)

I_F

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
7th might not sound as excellent as 1st or 2nd. You have very high expectations of yourself, which is great.

Your preliminary rank is not necessarily an indicator of your performance in the HSC. My mathematics rank in year 11 was way below the middle but I ended up being 6/~120 at the end of year 12. If you continue to be consistent and push yourself a little, you'll have no trouble topping maths.

My suggestion would be to keep maths, as it is an assumed knowledge in many university courses, such as Medicine and Engineering. However, if you're set out on studying something that you know won't require maths, you can drop it.

Good luck!
damn.

just realised how frekain inspiring Dreamerish's replies are concerning school; etc.
hahah

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
damn.

just realised how frekain inspiring Dreamerish's replies are concerning school; etc.
hahah
Thank you very much.

P

pLuvia

shinji / d3sp said:
damn.

hahah
They've always been inspiring :) If I can remember so :D

Breakingthegirl

HSC
hey! thankyou to all who replied
i didn't think anyone would..and so quickly (the amazement ofcyberspace i guess)
you have given me alot to ponder
i am adament on studying Medicine or possibly physiotherapy. there is nothing stating that maths is required for either of those. but i've heard alot of rumours that if you don't have math then you won't be selected for an interview for med!
hmmm...
thanx again!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Breakingthegirl said:
hey! thankyou to all who replied
i didn't think anyone would..and so quickly (the amazement ofcyberspace i guess)
you have given me alot to ponder
i am adament on studying Medicine or possibly physiotherapy. there is nothing stating that maths is required for either of those. but i've heard alot of rumours that if you don't have math then you won't be selected for an interview for med!
hmmm...
thanx again!
If Mathematics is not a prerequisite, then you may apply regardless of whether or not you've studied maths during high school. However, if it is strongly recommended or an assumed knowledge, it would be helpful to enrol in a bridging course.

Seriously though, coming 7th is nothing to worry about - of course unless it's 7 out of 7 people
, but in most cases it's out of around 100. You may consider dropping something you don't particularly enjoy, but if you're doing so well and are interested in all your subjects, then you can pick one at random?

Think about how contributive your subjects are to your future career, and remember that it's never too late to drop a subject (a girl in my grade dropped EE1 after trials!) so there's still time.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Breakingthegirl said:
BAHAHAHAHAHA...whats funny?
There was a previous BoSer called Breaking - it sounds like you're calling him a girl.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Breakingthegirl said:
hmmm...
thanx again!
Don't you worry, they're only rumours. What's more important is that you are doing sciences. Which one(s) are you doing? I would think you'd be doing chemistry and/or biology, which are most useful for medicine.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
There was a previous BoSer called Breaking - it sounds like you're calling him a girl.
or maybe it's coz the linkin park song .. "Breaking the habit" .. i unno.

in my grade; my 2u class consists of about 40-50 people?
3u class is even less. 10 ppl ~_~.
and not to mention the teacher hates me; and i have the same teacher for 3u and 2u. >_<
she always gives me crap reports! *GRR*

Breakingthegirl

HSC
coming 7th is nothing to worry about - of course unless it's 7 out of 7 people
, but in most cases it's out of around 100.

actually my school is fairly small. there are only approx 25 2u peoeple

Dreamerish...you're great!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)