advice about B Dentistry (1 Viewer)

mz del piero

hey,
im currently a yr12 and have been considering to study dentistry at Sydney for the past 3 years. I know that it has become like medicine in that you have to complete a pre-requisite degree before you can apply for a bacholer of dentistry...
is there anyone who is currently studying a pre-req. degree to get into dentistry?? What is your advice on it all...and what degree do you recommend i apply for as my pre-req...
thanks heaps...

naturalCo.

Interstate universities such as Melbourne and Queensland offer an Undergraduate Dentistry course.

nac

i'm currently in my 3rd yr of b med sci and also planning to do b dent. even though they say any degree is ok i think it's best to choose a science related degree as you will need 1st yr chem and biology plus yr 12 physics knowledge for GAMSAT.

or u can sit for UMAT and apply for undergrad dentistry at umelb.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by nac
i'm currently in my 3rd yr of b med sci and also planning to do b dent. even though they say any degree is ok i think it's best to choose a science related degree as you will need 1st yr chem and biology plus yr 12 physics knowledge for GAMSAT.

or u can sit for UMAT and apply for undergrad dentistry at umelb.
yeah, but u can still meet those requirements with a bachelor of science degree as well. :)

5c

HSC
how many years do u have to do b4 becoming a dentist in practice?

crackerj

HSC
N/A
B Med Sci is not 'the best' pre-degree to get into Usyd dent, since not many people have been actually into dent from Usyd B. Med Sci..

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by crackerj
Don't know but it's a statistical fact in last year..

At least it's not 'the best' degree to do to study dent...
i would say, that it is the best degree to prepare u for gamsat for sure- its a well known fact!!

crackerj

HSC
N/A
:)

Not really... many med sci people still go to the preparation course (one course, I wouldn't name, costs about $1000) for GAMSAT... So I think it is a hype that b. med sci is 'the best' degree to 'prepare' GAMSAT or get into med/dent...

However it is good that b. med sci covers various scientific areas from anatomy to microbiology.... So it's up to people's choice...

Whatever degree you do, the most important thing to get into Usyd Dent at the end is the interview...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC

Not really... many med sci people still go to the preparation course (one course, I wouldn't name, costs about $1000) for GAMSAT... So I think it is a hype that b. med sci is 'the best' degree to 'prepare' GAMSAT or get into med/dent...

However it is good that b. med sci covers various scientific areas from anatomy to microbiology.... So it's up to people's choice...

Whatever degree you do, the most important thing to get into Usyd Dent at the end is the interview...
why didn't u want to name the prep. course?

na, but medscience will help u acheive the "assumed knowledge" for the gamsat (first year chem, bio, etc.) and also it will help u out when u start dentistry for sure (and maybe get exemptions from a couple of subjects??)...so yeah, it prolly is the "best" to do...but then again u can get into dentistry with any old degree (even wif a useless one like B Arts). :D

crackerj

HSC
N/A
"B arts is as useless as B med sci....."

i.e. All degrees have their own values...

and no exemption exits in Usyd Dent....it's a 4 year program..

The degrees which help you to achieve "assumed knowledge" for GAMSAT: every degree... even art... (provided that you can do science subjects in arts in 1st year right?)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...The degrees which help you to achieve "assumed knowledge" for GAMSAT: every degree... even art... (provided that you can do science subjects in arts in 1st year right?)

yeah, but its easier to get the assumed knowlege through med. science, as it is part of the course, and also medscience is helpful if ur thinking abt. graduate med. as well. :)

crackerj

HSC
N/A
I'm not thinking about grad med/dent anymore because I'm in... And I did adv. science in Usyd... and I find my degree quite helpful in preparing GAMSAT (science part, of course)..

In terms of GAMSAT, It's not the matter of the degree... it's the matter of subjects you choose and some effort...

The ultimate thing is not a medical degree but residency training...and more and more... and in CV, would b. med sci stand out?... I don't know but I've heard directly from sub dean of med that it doesn't stand out... rather other degrees do stand out..

I could tell you this much... but not more than this.... good luck for those people who start studying in Usyd this year...!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I'm not thinking about grad med/dent anymore because I'm in... And I did adv. science in Usyd... and I find my degree quite helpful in preparing GAMSAT (science part, of course)..

In terms of GAMSAT, It's not the matter of the degree... it's the matter of subjects you choose and some effort...

The ultimate thing is not a medical degree but residency training...and more and more... and in CV, would b. med sci stand out?... I don't know but I've heard directly from sub dean of med that it doesn't stand out... rather other degrees do stand out..

I could tell you this much... but not more than this.... good luck for those people who start studying in Usyd this year...!
oh yeah, i get what u mean!!! after u get ya med. degree, its better to have something different under ya belt ei??

anyways...what course ru doing- ru in graduate med. or still doing adv. science...if so what major ru working towards?

mz del piero

thanks

thanks heaps to everyone who has replied, u all have been great and your help is appreciated...
thanks again...
is it possible to complete a B med sci at macquarie and then complete a B dent at sydney??? does sydney uni take preference to whether you have studied there or elsewhere???

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by mz del piero
...is it possible to complete a B med sci at macquarie and then complete a B dent at sydney??? does sydney uni take preference to whether you have studied there or elsewhere???
na, that shouldn't matter- in the end all depends on how u go on the gamsat....but then again they might prefer uni. syd graduate... *spooky music* :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)