Advantages of studying subjects Chemistry, Physics & Biology (1 Viewer)

ennny

HSC
I have selected the 3 sciences and many say im stupid because of the workload it contains. Is there any upsides to studying the 3 courses?

ennny

HSC
Lets say your a B student and maths and english are your strongest subjects, science a good idea? and btw what do they mean by the workload? and why do you wish you had done it?

ennny

HSC
wow you actually opened my eyes quite alot! but i want to get into dentistry and i have to get a high mark in gamsat correct?

Currently i picked
Ext Math
Adv English
Physics
Chemistry
Biolog
SDD

Should i drop
Biology for a more relaxing and easier subject to get the marks?

But i am very good at my Mathematics and English! plus commerce is a high for me

I heard science is like mathematics and english combined? so is that true?

-tal-

HSC
dv3 said:
Ext maths is soooooooo hard (basically its the workload of 2 mathematics courses). But.... since yr 11 doesnt count for anything, just do it and then when yr 12 hits, drop it or change to Mathematics as yr 12 mathematics is almost the exact same as yr 11 extension maths.

Physics and chem is hard as hell, i wouldnt suggest doing both because later on if you change you're mind about them, you only change one to senior science (Yr 10 Science) and the other one you can only drop.

For biology, once you begin the course (from day 1), you instantly get an assessment task which is like 30% or something. Its extreamly hard but its much easier (according to others) than physics and chem.

Advanced English is pretty much the same as Standard English although the only difference from i hear is that the text are different. In Advanced you will be studying old boring text i.e. shakespear etc and in standard you will study fun exciting easy modern texts. Although the syllabus i pratically the same. You still have to analyse, compare etc. Its just the texts thats different. But if you hate english so much then its still better to stick with advance as you will never "EVER" get a band 6 in standard(i know there have been only 1 person to get a band 6 in s.english, but c'mon that like winning the lotto). Also, if anyone is trying to convince you to go down to standard DON'T especially if your looking for a really high UAI (94 i think) as you wont get it especially if you choose to do the 3 science subjects.

Last but not least Software. Software is basically one of the most boring subjects ever. Most teachers who teach software wont actually teach you at all. Its better just to buy the HSC Excel text book and study that for 2 yrs (actually it takes only 2 weeks to study the full HSC courese of SDD, as basically all you do in class in bludge). Although SDD is easy for me, but for other people it may not be (probably cause its so boring, you day dream alot)

I would suggest you pick:

At least one science subject (physics would be better as it shows how everything is created etc but chemistry is fun when it comes to experiemnts, i love wasting and burning matches ;) )

Mathematics (pick extension if you want but be prepared)
Advanced English (and extension if you are REALLY!! good at it but most people fail so....)
Biology (hmmm maybe change (or you could change on your science sub.) to Economics and or business studies since you love commerce)
SD&D (Easy but boring + make you day dream alot + your surrounded by people who think they know everything, but in reality they don't)

Goodluck in deciding
Whoa! Shit!! You make english, ext maths and chem sound harder than it is! No arrogance intended, but like all subjects, as long as you do the work, and study before exams, it's not so hard. Marks are proportional to effort, and to some extent natural talent for the subject. (though, tbh effort is worth more).

If you really want to do an humanities subject, do it. Go with your gut instinct on this - it sounds all softy, but if something doesn't feel right, it's not.

I recommend you do legal in that case, easy and interesting.

h1958buglid

HSC
Bio is actually a really fun subject.... you'll find your classes will be full of discussion.. and with science in general you'll be doing lots of experiments and practical things... I do biology and theres a fair bit of content - but the exams are easy! and its actually enjoyable to an extent to study :)

ennny

HSC
actually im going to drop biology sadly... its not because its bad or anything but i know that i wont enjoy it. So i'd probably take advice from dv3 about changing from biology to economics because one i do well in commerce. Two the teachers who teach it are the best!. Three my school does exceptionally well in economics. 4 it scales okay?. and 5th i love commerce. I might drop Physics since its really demanding but im aiming for the really high uai's to go into psychology which is 96!

HSC
Don't leave biology! Biology is best and easy subject i ever had! I do all sciences and theres not much work load than as much total of maths and english.

If you do it, it will be much good!

runnable

HSC
Biology is indeed easier than Economics. I do both of them and am currently first in both.

For Bio Trials I did the study over a weekend and smashed it. While I needed to study throughout the holidays to clinch that Econ exam.

Economics also scales better than Biology and you should definitely do it if you like Econ and Bio equally.

jessi90

HSC
advantage is that you have a slight advantage when starting a science degree at uni but then again there's always bridging courses available. also they scale relatively well so if you are capable of doing it then go ahead

RioTinto

HSC
N/A
Hey guys does anyone know another theory that accounts for the changes in animals and vegitation other than "The Theory of Evelution". Need help Bio question.........

runnable

HSC
RioTinto said:
Hey guys does anyone know another theory that accounts for the changes in animals and vegitation other than "The Theory of Evelution". Need help Bio question.........
Yea, theres also the Theory of EVOLUTION.

jks...

Theres Creationism as well.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
If you're good at science, I advise you to do it, as they scale quite well. Then in the end of year 11, decide whether to drop a science or not. Currently I'm thinking of doing for the HSC:

Advanced English, 4U Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Economics.

I'd definitely have to drop biology in order to pick up 4U Maths, and I'm keeping Economics because I'm really good at it and just in case if I drop back to 3U Maths :)

beccygoddess

HSC
I was always an A/B+ student in science, but history/english was my best subject. I chose chem as my science subject (coz i thought that I would be able to do it, having always done reasonably well in science). Just got my trial back and got 41%. Granted, the average was 51%, but still.
Srsly, do economics. It is one of my favourite (and best) subjects, and is so much more relevent to the real world than science is.
Having said that, one of my friends does bio and chem (her mum's a science teacher) and is coming 1st and 3rd in them, so if you are naturally good at science, give it a go.
Just remember to give yourself extra units, in case you decide to drop something. I can drop chem now, coz i have 12 units, but if I couldn't, then I would die.
You can always pm me if you need any advice about any of the subjects I'm doing, or just general advice about the HSC

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I got 2/120 for my YEAR TEN science.
Not to brag or anything but I dont think all science won't be that challenging for me.
Back to the fundamental question:
Which is the hardest??!?!?!??!?!?
There are so many conflicting ideas that ARE VERY HARD TO DECIPHER!
I guess it depends on the person. I'm learning prelim physics with my tutor and it seems quite easy enough.
Any thoughts welcome about this

(I am however worried about Ext English. My mark was 73% (95/120) and i still got in but I'm worred that it will pull me down.)

Owell, I would recommend all science for those who have a good understanding of the FUNDAMENTALS in science. Generally, if you have a good understanding you'll have the avid intrest:uhhuh: and that always helps.

Doing next year:
Ext Maths
Ext Eng
Physics
Chem
Bio
=12

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC
Sainteced said:
I got 2/120 for my YEAR TEN science.
Not to brag or anything but I dont think all science won't be that challenging for me.
Back to the fundamental question:
Which is the hardest??!?!?!??!?!?
There are so many conflicting ideas that ARE VERY HARD TO DECIPHER!
I guess it depends on the person. I'm learning prelim physics with my tutor and it seems quite easy enough.
Any thoughts welcome about this

(I am however worried about Ext English. My mark was 73% (95/120) and i still got in but I'm worred that it will pull me down.)

Owell, I would recommend all science for those who have a good understanding of the FUNDAMENTALS in science. Generally, if you have a good understanding you'll have the avid intrest:uhhuh: and that always helps.

Doing next year:
Ext Maths
Ext Eng
Physics
Chem
Bio
=12
THANKYOU for your very comprehensive insight into HSC Science subjects.

No sarcasm intended; PROMISE! :)

HSC
with the science subjects, all that matters is if you put the work in :)
(i do all 3 sciences btw)
i did no work in yr 11, and my marks reflected that... i got 49% in yr 11 exit exam for chem, and 57% for physics...
however, i have done my summaries and sorta constant revision this year, and managed to get 74% in chem half yearly and 80% for physics :) dont know trial marks yet...

but yeah, it just depends on if you"re willing to put in the work

lionking1191

HSC
those 3 aren't too stressful if you spread your workload evenly throughout the year.

i'm mean, eco. modern and ancient is much worse (and crapper scaling)

shaon0

HSC
ennny said:
I have selected the 3 sciences and many say im stupid because of the workload it contains. Is there any upsides to studying the 3 courses?
I recommend taking the 3 (major) sciences but biology is a lot of memory work and involves no skill (that is why i am dropping it next year). Take Physics and Chemistry if you are in the top 5 for science in yr10. They really complement one another but they are a lot of work.
So if you like science or are really good at it, why not take it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)