Advanced Science student projects (1 Viewer)

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
I was wondering if anyone (in particular, students of BSc(Advanced)) knows anything about special projects that are on offer to students by the various departments in the Faculty? (eg. like who to contact, the central coordinators, staff members involved, etc.)

By 'special projects' I mean a variety of possible extensions to the standard science courses available to BSc(Adv.) students.
Eg. extra reading-courses, research projects, additional lab-work, advanced units and courses, etc...

I was thinking along the areas of Mathematics, Physics, and/or Chemistry projects.
In fact, if anyone can list them that would be fantastic!

I'm not from UNSW so I don't know a whole deal about this - so apologies if my question seems awkward or silly. But I'd imagine as part of any "Advanced Science" degree, undergrad. students would be offered small individual research projects to complete under the supervision of some academic staff throughout their degree?
But correct me if I'm wrong please.

Or do they do more of this kind of stuff over at USyd?

Any suggestions, advice, and information regarding this are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps ppl! :D

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
who_loves_maths said:
I was wondering if anyone (in particular, students of BSc(Advanced)) knows anything about special projects that are on offer to students by the various departments in the Faculty? (eg. like who to contact, the central coordinators, staff members involved, etc.)

By 'special projects' I mean a variety of possible extensions to the standard science courses available to BSc(Adv.) students.
Eg. extra reading-courses, research projects, additional lab-work, advanced units and courses, etc...

I was thinking along the areas of Mathematics, Physics, and/or Chemistry projects.
In fact, if anyone can list them that would be fantastic!

I'm not from UNSW so I don't know a whole deal about this - so apologies if my question seems awkward or silly. But I'd imagine as part of any "Advanced Science" degree, undergrad. students would be offered small individual research projects to complete under the supervision of some academic staff throughout their degree?
But correct me if I'm wrong please.

Or do they do more of this kind of stuff over at USyd?

Any suggestions, advice, and information regarding this are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps ppl! :D
Maths extension activities:
- skipping subject prereqs
- overloading subjects in a semester (very flexible)
- allowed to do postgrad subjects
- project (aka reading) courses are available, but no one does them

Not sure if the Maths staff have time to supervise a lot of projects, as usually they're choc-a-block teaching.

Physics extension activities:
- optional 1st yr project
- extra labs

Physics probably has more opportunities as they are involved in a lot of experimental work, and following that data analysis.

It would be a good idea for you to go through the maths and physics websites yourself (www.maths.unsw.edu.au and www.phys.unsw.edu.ua) in order to get a good feel for the research strengths of each department, how this affects the way they teach their courses, and also to see what current projects they are working on.

Btw, why do you ask? Transferring from ANU?

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Do these actually count towards the 30uoc Level III subjects one would need to get into maths honours? Theres quite a bit of postgrad units that I seem to be more attracted to than 3rd year ones.

But yeah, theres 3 reading courses. The only difference I see between them is they're worth different amounts of credit, with the higher credit value meaning the longer the essay you need to write.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Do these actually count towards the 30uoc Level III subjects one would need to get into maths honours? Theres quite a bit of postgrad units that I seem to be more attracted to than 3rd year ones.

But yeah, theres 3 reading courses. The only difference I see between them is they're worth different amounts of credit, with the higher credit value meaning the longer the essay you need to write.
I think so, but I think usually you do them as electives on top of the minimum requirements for the major.

I don't think you need to submit an essay, just a set of polished lecture notes and maybe an oral exam.

who_loves_maths

HSC
§eraphim said:

Not sure if the Maths staff have time to supervise a lot of projects, as usually they're choc-a-block teaching.

Physics extension activities:
- optional 1st yr project
- extra labs

Physics probably has more opportunities as they are involved in a lot of experimental work, and following that data analysis.
Thanks for that §eraphim.
I am surprised that you guys are allowed to enrol in postgraduate units - at what stage are you allowed to do this btw? Surely not in first year?

§eraphim said:
It would be a good idea for you to go through the maths and physics websites yourself (www.maths.unsw.edu.au and www.phys.unsw.edu.ua) in order to get a good feel for the research strengths of each department, how this affects the way they teach their courses, and also to see what current projects they are working on.
Yes been there done that. Does not help; which is why I posted.

§eraphim said:
Btw, why do you ask? Transferring from ANU?
Absolutely not :p.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
3rd yr, but requires lecturers to enrol you in manually.

who_loves_maths

HSC
Iruka said:
The school of maths people basically aim to please: they will let you enrol in what ever you want to if they think that you can cope with it. I have heard of people doing 3rd year subjects as early as first year, and if you can convince them that you can cope, they will let you do honours subjects in 2nd year (I know 'cause I did one). I think it really depends on the particular subject, though. Some 4th year subjects require alot of prior knowledge from 2nd and 3rd year; others just require a certain degree of "mathematical maturity." (These are the type of subjects that you are more likely to be able to get into early.)

They also run vacation scholarships in the summer holidays.

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/students/current/ugvacation.html

I don't know much about the vacation scholarships, as hanging around uni in the holidays isn't really my idea of fun. Has anyone else on BOS done one? Any comments?
Thanks Iruka.

The vacation scholarships allow you to be enrolled in one-off research projects with academic staff member(s) done over the summer at any university which offer the scholarship (but not controlled centrally, meaning you have to apply to the specific departments/schools). It usually endures a period of 7 to 9 weeks beginning in early January and ends just before semester 1 begins.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There are some lab projects offered in the School of Biotech and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS) for third year students. I am doing one now.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
§eraphim said:
hi

can u skip subj requirements (eg: bio/chem/maths) like if a guy decides to do a adv sci major in say immunology/microbiology?

thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
mr EaZy said:
hi

can u skip subj requirements (eg: bio/chem/maths) like if a guy decides to do a adv sci major in say immunology/microbiology?

thanks
No you cannot skip first year bio/chem/maths because they are the prerequisites to second year microbiology subjects. They don't care whether you are an advanced science or science student.

In adv science, you need to do an additional honours year. So yes, that's an extra 1 year.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Survivor39 said:
No you cannot skip first year bio/chem/maths because they are the prerequisites to second year microbiology subjects. They don't care whether you are an advanced science or science student.
Exceptions are made for the best students.

For the few who are talented enough, it is possible to get your program varied ie. can 'accelerate'. Those students must speak with the Associate Dean, and get it approved. Of the few students are like this, typically they are those who top the State in Olympiads and the likes.

Advanced Science can be combined with Arts. You will apply to the Advanced Science program through UAC, upon acceptance of the offer, and when it comes to enrolling, you can choose between Adv Sci or Adv Sci/Arts - but they are the SAME UAC code.

ice&dht

HSC
N/A
Adv Sci can also be combined with Arts or Social Science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)