Advanced or ESL? (1 Viewer)

exploringlife

HSC
Hi guys, I just joined and am still learning how to navigate this thing. Anyway, this dilemma has been on my mind since the beginning of time: Should I stick with Advanced English or move to ESL?

I am doing relatively alright in Advanced, averaging among everyone else. Not doing as well as I hoped though (I guess I didn't try... at all.) Anyway, is it true that if I do well in ESL instead of just averaging in Advanced will help my ATAR? I am still unsure of what I want to do but are there any other advantages/disadvantages of doing ESL/Advanced?

Also, I like doing creative... but they don't do it much in ESL?

Oh and also I am 100% eligible as I have been in Aus for less than 5 years. Please help... this has really been troubling me... :(

Last edited:

exploringlife

HSC
Yes, I have. I asked the ESL teacher and he said there isn't a reason for me to not do ESL if I am eligible to, as he has great confidence that I will do well if I don't slack (like some students who move to ESL and slack as they think the workload will be less and easier).

Also, I talked to my current Advanced teacher, who said that it is completely up to me, as I am not doing that terribly in Advanced either. I mentioned my like for creative so she said that is sort of the deal breaker I guess...

I sought the opinions of some of my friends and they all gave me their opinions, which I appreciate, but it only makes my decision that much harder as they all differ.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe look at the historical performance of previous years cohorts?

Do you like/don't mind Advanced English?

Do you friends in your class(semi terrible reason but still a point to consider)

Freyo

HSC
Wrong thread btw but anyway, I was in your exact same position where I was averaging in advanced but could still do ESL. I decided to do ESL and trust me, it was the best decision I ever took! I know to you now you feel like there's no reason why you shouldn't challenge yourself but by the time the HSC comes the difference really shows when you're going in the HSC exam with about two essays memorised compared to 5 or so that the advanced students have to do. It takes A LOT of pressure off which means not only do you get better marks in English, you also gain an advantage over everyone else by having more time to study for your other subjects. ESL also scales about just as well as advanced and your results will get boosted up anyway because the majority of people doing ESL really struggle with the subject whereas you have an opportunity to differentiate yourself from the rest by your writing and comprehension

anniebghs

HSC
Wrong thread btw but anyway, I was in your exact same position where I was averaging in advanced but could still do ESL. I decided to do ESL and trust me, it was the best decision I ever took! I know to you now you feel like there's no reason why you shouldn't challenge yourself but by the time the HSC comes the difference really shows when you're going in the HSC exam with about two essays memorised compared to 5 or so that the advanced students have to do. It takes A LOT of pressure off which means not only do you get better marks in English, you also gain an advantage over everyone else by having more time to study for your other subjects. ESL also scales about just as well as advanced and your results will get boosted up anyway because the majority of people doing ESL really struggle with the subject whereas you have an opportunity to differentiate yourself from the rest by your writing and comprehension
I second this. I was in a similar situation, except I decided to do ESL right at the start of year 11. We had a pretty strong ESL cohort, and for me it was still tough work to top the subject as everyone was extremely competitive! But it seriously took so much pressure off me, and I could use all that time to focus on my other subjects while my Adv friends cried their hearts out all the time. Work load is so much less, fewer essays to memorise, its just gr8. And HAHAHAH it feels good to do well in a subject and be ranked well, ya feel ;) I personally did not regret doing ESL ever since.

Regarding creative, to me Mod B ESL (living and working in the community) was sort of like a creative, because you basically make up all of the info to answer the stimulus/question.

Good luck!

exploringlife

HSC
Thanks so much for your input, guys. Really appreciate your opinions!

I just talked to the ESL teacher today and she said that just because ESL is easier, it's not necessary it's a guaranteed Band 6. But of course, if I try hard enough... ;) Yeah I'd actually prefer to do ESL as some of my good friends are there, whereas in Advanced we aren't as tight of a group and I don't have many friends there.

Really cool to see the significantly lesser workload in ESL, another factor in my decision! Seeing some of my friends topping ESL as well gave me the chills as they seem like they are really enjoying it, most of all, they are doing well in it.. That gave me a push as well in my decision.

Anyway, I am still deciding, but I do agree with my teachers that I should make that decision ASAP as time is running out. I would still appreciate it if other people who have any more advice or have been in a similar situation could help me out! Thank you so much to those who did! :D

exploringlife

HSC
Hi guys, I've decided to move to ESL, as it would be a lesser workload and i have tons of friends there. I think I would be happier too. :D
Thanks for everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)