Advanced Maths vs Standard Maths (1 Viewer)

michael_77

HSC
Hi, I did my first advanced maths test for my HSC this week and i got around 60%. I was wondering is it better to be getting around 60% in Advanced or around 85%-90% in General maths.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It's really hard to say, 60% in your school might be a 90 in another. In terms of hsc final marks that are reported by bos to you, an 85-90 in general is definitely better than a 60 in advanced maths.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
They mean Mathematics and General Mathematics.
I think Mathematics is a far bit superior to General in terms of scaling and worth ect but if you really bad in it then meh....though I do Ext2 so I can't really talk about it lol

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
What was your class average? Unless the average was 95+, I wouldn't even think of dropping to General Maths. The test may have been relatively difficult, and besides - it's only the first one.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah we need some more info to help you decide.

Go and investigate your rank.

*points to a sign on the wall reading: RANK IS IMPORTANT*

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
keep with the 2u. It gets easier as the topics begin to gel and things click into place. in our class people improved their marks in every assessment we did. as things begin to make sense [im going to go out on a limb here and sound like a mega nerd] maths gets more fun, and the 2u course has much more challenging and interesting material. i wouldnt be too concerned with 60% for a first assessment.

also heaps of people that dropped to gen at my school got lazy and didnt get anywhere near 80-90%, they were getting aobut 40-50% which is kinda depressing.

Best wishes!

Mercedes

michael_77

HSC
The average was around 70%, most of the advanced guys didnt do that well, but the 3unit and 4unit people did well

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
With the average at 70, I'd keep it. Remember the 4-unit guys don't actually complete the 2-unit course, and the 3-unit people are expected to be ahead of the 2-unit guys.

I_F

HSC
michael_77, from someone who has completed both the advanced maths course, and the general maths course, take my advice and do either advanced maths or no maths.

I wasn't really good at advanced maths, but doing anything lower then it doesn't really benefit anyone.

It doesn't mean that you're stupid if you can't do advanced, it just means that you aren't mathematically inclined.

Also keep in mind that a mark of 60% (depending on the test) may be reasonable.

berra

HSC
guys, iv also got an issue... im constantly getting 95+ in general mathematics, nd im wondering if i would be able to cope with Mathematics... i mean do i need 2 hav preliminary knowledge to do the course?

HSC
Berra; you won't be able to cope with advanced. It sort of goes against normality to go UP after year 11 anyway.

-------

If you do twelve units, all of which are strong.. Definitely drop maths all together. I think pretty much every dux of my school in the past 4 years has advised dropping maths all together :eek:

But that’s because they were humanities inclined. The problem is most people think that maths is a necessity.. It isn’t compulsory, only English is, so if you don’t really like doing it, then don’t do it at all. You are not compelled to do maths.

No on to the marks.. General maths is scaled badly. The maximum mark you can *really* get is ~88 (when comparing with adv.) - but advanced is a pain in the arse, so it might be easier for you to get a high mark in gen. then adv. But you have to remember, that it might also be easy for everyone else, and that's the catch.

This whole thing isn't about how well you go... its about how well you go in comparison to everybody else.

berra

HSC
i will never drop math! i know it's not a necessity, but i enjoy it so much... and i may consider doing accounting, and everything seems to be so easy, so u do the math... but you're probably right, it will be hard to cope with all the new things in advanced. i guess i might be better off in general... who knows :)

gwemma88

HSC
i have just dropped down to General and am finding it really easy.

If you are doing twelve units and think Mathematics is almost definitely going to be your extra two units that dont count and are finding Mathematics really hard and stressful, DROP!

What is the point of stressing yourself out completely over Mathematics which is going to be extra units anyway, when you could cruise through General? Anything to relieve stress in the HSC has to be a bonus.

Just make sure you are definitely certain they are your extra units and you are good at all your other subjects because General scales pretty bad.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
gwemma88 said:
i have just dropped down to General and am finding it really easy.
Sounds like a good decision made, all the best with G unit. ;)

P

pLuvia

Of course, general maths is year 9 - 10 and a bit furthur maths

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah some of the stuff in general is very basic, i was flipping through a textbook one day and i came across "finding the gradient of a line". :rolleyes:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I love how you guys call the second lowest course "advanced".

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
michael_77 said:
Hi, I did my first advanced maths test for my HSC this week and i got around 60%. I was wondering is it better to be getting around 60% in Advanced or around 85%-90% in General maths.
It also depends on what you are considering as a future career. Obviously, you choose the subjects that pave the way to that career.

Talk to your teachers, and review your performance over this year as a whole. And remember, it's the first HSC assessment task, and if it was worth, like, 15%, then altogether it's worth 7.5%. And that's without your ~60% being scaled. :p

Last edited:

tacuric

HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
keep with the 2u. It gets easier as the topics begin to gel and things click into place. in our class people improved their marks in every assessment we did. as things begin to make sense [im going to go out on a limb here and sound like a mega nerd] maths gets more fun, and the 2u course has much more challenging and interesting material. i wouldnt be too concerned with 60% for a first assessment.

also heaps of people that dropped to gen at my school got lazy and didnt get anywhere near 80-90%, they were getting aobut 40-50% which is kinda depressing.

Best wishes!

Mercedes

A few in my school was the oppisite. They got 35-45% and once they dropped they literaterly got between 95-100%.
OMG!!!
It made even me consider dropping.
It looks better to have advanced on the HSC than General.
Even if you only get 65-75%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)