Advanced maths - 1st year (1 Viewer)

Darknessandsnow

HSC
Im doing a B. of science and I'm considering to chose Financial maths and stats as one of my majors.
I did the normal maths units during 1st sem. (MATH 1001 and 1002) and I'm unsure if i should apply for adv. maths in 2nd semester.
I've done 4U maths during HSC however than was during 2011 (and I pretty much forgot everything).
I found MATH1001 and MATH1002 considerably easy and was able to get HD. My best subject has always been maths.
However I am worried about being unable to catch up or follow with what will be taught in adv. maths (2nd sem 1st year) as I haven't done any maths for the past few years (except last sems).
From what I heard adv. maths is very hard?
Should I stick with normal maths or should I do advanced? Advice anyone? Thanks
:)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What are your reasons for doing advanced? Note that they have removed the majority of scaling effects, so say an 80 raw will not scale up as much as they used to as of last year.

The level of difficulty is not much higher to be honest at this stage (the difference in difficulty between normal and advanced kicks in at 2nd year) so I think you're safe to do so.

If you are seeking a bit of a challenge, I say do it and test the water whilst it's still relatively calm (2nd sem of 1st year as opposed to 2nd year onwards). If you are seeking to get the highest marks possible, then I suggest sticking to normal.

When you say Adv. Maths, are you referring to the title BSc. (Advanced Mathematics) or did you mean just doing advanced units?

Darknessandsnow

HSC
What are your reasons for doing advanced? Note that they have removed the majority of scaling effects, so say an 80 raw will not scale up as much as they used to as of last year.

The level of difficulty is not much higher to be honest at this stage (the difference in difficulty between normal and advanced kicks in at 2nd year) so I think you're safe to do so.

If you are seeking a bit of a challenge, I say do it and test the water whilst it's still relatively calm (2nd sem of 1st year as opposed to 2nd year onwards). If you are seeking to get the highest marks possible, then I suggest sticking to normal.

When you say Adv. Maths, are you referring to the title BSc. (Advanced Mathematics) or did you mean just doing advanced units?

I meant the advanced units. (sorry if it was a bit confusing ;p)
Main reason why I'm thinking of doing an adv. unit in maths is because I'm going to a major in financial maths and stats and like you said, to test the waters cuz from what I heard, first year marks don't count.

I'm actually thinking of doing one adv. maths unit and one normal maths unit (if possible). If so, is MATH1005 or MATH1003 easier?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I meant the advanced units. (sorry if it was a bit confusing ;p)
Main reason why I'm thinking of doing an adv. unit in maths is because I'm going to a major in financial maths and stats and like you said, to test the waters cuz from what I heard, first year marks don't count.

I'm actually thinking of doing one adv. maths unit and one normal maths unit (if possible). If so, is MATH1005 or MATH1003 easier?
The easier of the two is MATH1003, so if you are going to do advanced I suggest doing that.

However, for the benefit of your major, you may want to consider doing the advanced Statistics course too. Again, it is not too different from the normal at this stage.

You are half right about the first year marks not counting. There are two mark systems at USYD. One is WAM as I'm sure you know, another is SCIWAM.

SCIWAM does NOT count first year units, but it is used internally within the Science Faculty (hence the name) for decisions such as Honours entry.

However, if you wish to say transfer to another University, they will be looking at your WAM, which does include first year.

My personal advice (since you did well in both 1st year 1st sem units) is to do both advanced Statistics and advanced Mathematics. I am fairly certain that if you did them both without being told it was advanced, you wouldn't know.

Darknessandsnow

HSC
The easier of the two is MATH1003, so if you are going to do advanced I suggest doing that.

However, for the benefit of your major, you may want to consider doing the advanced Statistics course too. Again, it is not too different from the normal at this stage.

You are half right about the first year marks not counting. There are two mark systems at USYD. One is WAM as I'm sure you know, another is SCIWAM.

SCIWAM does NOT count first year units, but it is used internally within the Science Faculty (hence the name) for decisions such as Honours entry.

However, if you wish to say transfer to another University, they will be looking at your WAM, which does include first year.

My personal advice (since you did well in both 1st year 1st sem units) is to do both advanced Statistics and advanced Mathematics. I am fairly certain that if you did them both without being told it was advanced, you wouldn't know.
Thanks for replying so fast :D

Actually the main problem is my other units, especially for IT. I've chosen to do CHEM1902, Foundations of Computer Systems and bio as well.

I've haven't done Bio during HSC + I'm new to IT. I'm just worried that doing all that might be a bit too much for me. ;/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks for replying so fast :D

Actually the main problem is my other units, especially for IT. I've chosen to do CHEM1902, Foundations of Computer Systems and bio as well.

I've haven't done Bio during HSC + I'm new to IT. I'm just worried that doing all that might be a bit too much for me. ;/
Since your major is in Mathematics, I suggest you place your focus there. So best to do say normal chemistry instead, that will take some pressure off =)

I really doubt it will be much because like I said, the difference between normal and advanced are minimal at this stage.

However, if you were to pick a subject to do advanced in, it is best to do 1005 because of your intended major. You will open more opportunities in the future (subject wise) by doing advanced units. Many future units say "At least 6 cp in advanced etc etc" or "At least a credit in normal".

Darknessandsnow

HSC
Since your major is in Mathematics, I suggest you place your focus there. So best to do say normal chemistry instead, that will take some pressure off =)

I really doubt it will be much because like I said, the difference between normal and advanced are minimal at this stage.

However, if you were to pick a subject to do advanced in, it is best to do 1005 because of your intended major. You will open more opportunities in the future (subject wise) by doing advanced units. Many future units say "At least 6 cp in advanced etc etc" or "At least a credit in normal".
I'm doing a double major, with the other being Chem. I guess I'll chose both adv. versions of the maths units, and try out the first week then decide what happens. lol

Anyways, thanks so much :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)