Advanced Mathematics (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
Is there any difference between undertaking Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) and doing Bachelor of Science with advanced units of maths? Oh man the huge disparity in the ATAR requirements is really confuzzling.

Thank you!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Not really. It's just a fancy title.

But if you finish your first year with a distinction average you can transfer into the advanced maths stream if you wish.

sida1049

HSC
Not really. It's just a fancy title.

But if you finish your first year with a distinction average you can transfer into the advanced maths stream if you wish.
Thanks for the response!

One thing that I've noticed is that MATH1904 Discrete Mathematics (Advanced) isn't offered this year, which is slightly deterring considering that it seems like something that isn't just useful, but also interesting. Is it likely that they will resume this unit for 2016? (And I don't mean it as a probability problem... hahah.) If they don't offer MATH1904, and I take a lower stream of Discrete Mathematics, would it interfere with graduating with B Science (Advanced Mathematics)?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Thanks for the response!

One thing that I've noticed is that MATH1904 Discrete Mathematics (Advanced) isn't offered this year, which is slightly deterring considering that it seems like something that isn't just useful, but also interesting. Is it likely that they will resume this unit for 2016? (And I don't mean it as a probability problem... hahah.) If they don't offer MATH1904, and I take a lower stream of Discrete Mathematics, would it interfere with graduating with B Science (Advanced Mathematics)?
No, it will not interfere.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Thanks for the response!

They haven't offered MATH1904 for ages.

I do B Science (Advanced Mathematics) and have done MATH1004, there's literally no difference.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah MATH1904 hasn't been offered since 2007.

It won't matter if you take a lower stream to begin with, in fact, there isn't actually any requirement that you do advanced junior maths at all. The Advanced Mathematics degree only requires you to do minimum 2 advanced intermediate maths subjects, and minimum 4 advanced senior maths subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)