Advanced English (1 Viewer)

I am the Law

HSC
I am currently doing Advanced English. Throughout the preliminary course I felt that I somewhat struggled with the requirements, contributed to by the fact that I didnt undertake as much preparation as I probably should have. I was wondering whether a combination of preliminary, as well as the HSC course and increased effort may remove some of the daunting nature of Advance english? How can I turn this around?

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
Absolutely. Make sure you're prepared when assessments come around because in all honesty they're not as hard as they seem, especially if you're lucky enough to get the question/s beforehand. I went pretty badly in the prelim course for Advanced, I was ranked about 20th at the end of the year and wasn't looking forward to the HSC year at all. I managed to end up 4th for the HSC year and got 2nd in the trials which I was really happy with, so it's definitely possible to turn it around if you put in the effort needed. Just make sure you know the texts well enough to adapt to any question they throw at you - be prepared to study all of the speeches or poems if you elect to do them for Module B, and same deal for AoS. Study a variety of related texts for the same reason - don't be afraid of using photos, paintings or even songs (provided you're familiar with techniques specific to their form, and that includes musical techniques) because that can add interest and let your essay stand out from the crowd.

Anyway, good luck with the HSC and hopefully you can turn it around - just make sure you put in the effort this term because believe me, this is when you can make ground on the others!

TooSleepy

HSC
i hated english -.-
but my teacher noticed i was struggling *cough*horribleranks*cough* so then he just said i could talk to him about stuff so now every now and then i just see him with some work from class or a piece of writing ive done and he just offers constructive criticism and like....more detailed and personal things i actually need to do to stop being so crap at english..

also...preparation=good!
this whole year i neglected my notes a LOOOTTT so by the time exams came around....it wasnt pretty

so, do the whole make notes as you go thing on all the important stuff youve done in class! and with texts make sure youve read them twice, or at least have a very good list or mental bank of insightful comments to make that can work for lots of different questions....(obviously actually reading the text would be better :p)

but seriously....english isnt that bad, you just have to know the right stuff to say and how to say it well
i would seriously suggest talking to your teacher about your english in general because (theyre the ones who are gonna be marking your assessments) they know best...and it may be kinda scary, but they probably feel super good about helping students :)

also, all of this stuff is just what my teacher/friends/family have told me after i had a bit of a breakdown about how much i hated english and why it was so horrible that it has to count for hsc...seems to be working...so far :)

I am the Law

HSC
Thanks for your advice guys, i really appreciate it. I will try to sunmit work to my teacher prior to handing in tasks etc. and get feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)