Advanced English scaling (1 Viewer)

mary.g

HSC
I was trying SAM and after I put my estimated marks in and got a UAI, I then swapped Advanced English for Standard English and put all the same marks in, but the UAI was higher. I thought Standard English got scaled down.
So I was just wondering why, by doing Advanced English I would get a lower UAI? Is it because most people in Advanced would do really well and therefore my mark would be closer to the average, whereas if I did Standard my mark would be higher compared to most other students?

And also, I've heard that if you go to a good school you're marks get scaled up. I used to go to a good school but now I'm doing the HSC at TAFE. While there are serious and smart students who make an effort, there are also the slackers who are only there to get Centrelink benefits. Would you have to do really well in your subjects in order not to be affected too badly?

As you can see, I'm worried about my UAI. :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The English Advanced and Standard biggest misconception is exactly what most students make.

English Standard AND Advanced are scaled in the exact same way

2 identical RAW marks in Standard English and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled mark.

Standard and Advanced English are scaled as one course despite what others say.

But now you will ask "Why is it on the list of scaled means, Advanced and Standard english are different when you said they are scaled the same?", or in your case why does substituting English Advanced with English Standard result in a higher UAI?

The answer to this is simple. They are reported separately. i.e. They combine the candidature of English Standard and Advanced and scale it as a single subject, they are then separated and the scaled mean is determined and reported. It just so happens the scaled mean of Standard is typically lower than Advanced. This doesn't mean it scaled any better or worse than Advanced.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
but den dat means dumbin down can happen in english rite?

so if ur gud at english, u cud dumb down 2 standard, ace everyfink, n get better den wat adv. eng kids wudda got?

dat cant be it..

JTN

HSC
live.fast said:
but den dat means dumbin down can happen in english rite?
Well i don't think you dumb down english more then you just did, :)

But i totally agreee, adv should be scaled higher, it just seems wrong!

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i always thought advanced scaled better but yeah, i like the advanced course better anyway, and its also a prequesite for all the uni courses i wanna do

mary.g

HSC
Yeah, I agree that Advanced is a better course for going to University anyway, but you would think it would be scaled higher than Standard.

sinist4

HSC
Advance is the same as standard... but only the texts are abit harder, and if you want to get into uni, you might as well work that that little bit extra. As you hav to write the same amount of essays anyway, i think :)

ko0l

Old man
HSC
Then I'd better of doing English Standard then?
Since all the students who think they are capable of doing English Advanced and when they actually do good in the course but i do crap compared to them then that means i should just do standard?

I'd rather do standard and try to get a Band 5 or 6 come top 2 % or something.
Think about the number of students who got Band 6 and Band 5 for standard english last year (2005). .... less than 2% got band 5 and less than 1% got band 6.. lol

ko0l

Old man
HSC
Information from UAC SCALING Report 2005

what does all this mean?
what does all this mean?
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf#search="hsc 2005 scaling report"

If Advanced and Standard English are scaled as a single group, why does
the same HSC mark give different scaled marks in Standard English and
Advanced English?
This issue has been raised since 2001. Since it is likely to be raised again, the explanation will be repeated.
HSC marks and scaled marks are different marks. HSC marks are the marks released by the Board to
students and are the result of the standards-setting exercise. Scaled marks are, however, based on raw
HSC marks.
 In 2 unit English all students complete a common paper (Paper 1) which counts for 40% of the
total mark. Advanced and Standard students then complete separate papers that count for 60%
of the total mark.
 The Board then uses Paper 1 to place the marks of the separate Standard and Advanced papers
on the same scale so that a total (raw) examination mark can be calculated for 2 unit English.
The marks for Standard and Advanced students are deemed to be on the same scale.
 The Board moderates school assessments using these raw examination marks.
 The raw HSC mark which is used for scaling is then calculated.
 The raw HSC marks for the Standard and Advanced English students are combined, and scaled as
a single course. A raw HSC mark yields the same scaled mark for Standard and Advanced students.
 The Board aligns the raw examination marks against standards separately for Standard and
Advanced students. As a result, Advanced students on a given raw mark receive a higher aligned
mark than Standard students on the same raw mark. Consequently an aligned HSC mark
corresponds to different scaled marks for Standard and Advanced students. This gives the
appearance that Advanced students have been disadvantaged, but this is not true.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf#search="hsc 2005 scaling report"

Terumoto

HSC
To what people have been saying about the adv. course:

BS... The advanced course is terrible.

How can an english course focused around trying to say the right things to please your marker by "analysing" (a) complex text(s) through a narrow scope and writing about it in 40 mins, possibly be anything useful?

HSC English FTL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)