Adv. English is a joke (1 Viewer)

thomas_hb

HSC
fleepbasding said:
Your story was most amusing and entertaining. It has universal appeal and resonates with egocentric, elitist teenagers across the state.
Perhaps in your over enthusiastic application to fellating the English Faculty at your school you misunderstood the concept of sarcasm...though you did somehow manage to use it to good effect yourself...was that pre-prepared for you also, those English teachers are good arent they?! Even prepare you for dissent!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
thomas_hb said:
Perhaps in your over enthusiastic application to fellating the English Faculty at your school you misunderstood the concept of sarcasm...though you did somehow manage to use it to good effect yourself...was that pre-prepared for you also, those English teachers are good arent they?! Even prepare you for dissent!
Although I was over enthusiastic in my felatory endevours, I did understand the sarcasm and general tone of the composers text. That is what made it entertaining I suppose, the masterful adoption of the 'literary' voice, through effectively integrated pomposity.

thomas_hb

HSC
kols_kebabs said:
Regarding the pronunciation of "Hyperbole" mentioned in the original post, well...

She said that Hi-per-bo-ley is the proper way, but in a contemporary context Hyperbowl is common and accepted.
Well it's not with any self-respecting English speaking person, and never should be. It's only accepted as a way to stop dropkicks from feeling bad about themselves.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
my sharona said:
I disagree, you will get nowhere in life if you can't communicate or think for yourself...

...Maybe the course may reward people who can regurgitate the same essay a million times, maybe your teachers don't so much teach as just present you the answers and expect you to memorise them...

If you are suggesting that the English courses espouses said values you are contradicting yourself.

The original poster is not demanding a total dismissal of English as a subject all together, just a make-over.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
thomas_hb said:

I am sorry sir, but as the author of the post in question, I must alert you to that fact that, contrary to your interpretation, with the exception of one particular paragraph (I am sure you are astute enough as to pick up on the one i refer to) there was no sarcasm in the whole post.

It was in fact tonal to my natural manner of speech.

To my friends who appreciated my anecdote, I salute you.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
thomas_hb said:
Well it's not with any self-respecting English speaking person, and never should be. It's only accepted as a way to stop dropkicks from feeling bad about themselves.
What is so bad about the natural evolution of the language anyway? Not referring to that example in particular - but you will notice that the English language is a mesh-mash of different European languages and thus a bastardisation in the first place. Also, you will find significant difference between not only today's English and the english spoken in the 19th century, as well as significant difference between English then and English from the Middle Ages. I know this sounds a bit like a "wanky post-modern" thing to say (aesthetic egalitarianism), but why should the state of literary discourse today be regarded as a degeneration from Shakespearean discourse (or indeed, any other state of language in the past)? Besides, wasn't it Shakespeare who invented words like "pertain" - words that are now regarded not as neologisms but part of respectable transactions of meaning?

Last edited:

thomas_hb

HSC
_dhj_ said:
What is so bad about the natural evolution of the language anyway? I know this sounds a bit like a "wanky post-modern" thing to say (aesthetic egalitarianism), but why should the state of literary discourse today be regarded as a degeneration from Shakespearean discourse
In my opinion it isnt' "Shakespearian" to pronounce words properly. The so called "natural evolution" you speak of is, at a stretch, natural, however I would argue manufactured by morons, and, it is not in any way an "evolution". It is not evolutionary for us as humans to develop an allergy to oxygen, it is deadly, so to start mispronouncing words isnt an evolution, it's a dismissal of the principals of elocution, and as any linguist will tell you, mispronounciation is poor form for people that speak a language secondary to their native tongue, so surely mispronounciation by people who are native speakers is not only shameful, but indicative of a malfunction of the education system.
And so we get back to my original point...seeing as so many people can barely speak properly, surely we should focus on grammar and elocution rather than sipping chardonnay and discussing bullshit poetry.

Yes, it is beginning to become in our society, acceptable for people to be publicly ignorant...Howard's regime has encouraged this by making tertiary education more difficult to get into, and by his pursuit of narrow minded public policy.

But people who want lay claim to being able or diligent in the language have no right to make mistakes...either get it right, or shut up and stop telling me how good you are at English, because I contend that there is a vast void of difference between people who excel at the"Advanced English Course" and people that can actually articulate themselves in any intelligible sense.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
thomas_hb, (W)hy can I not send you private messages?

thomas_hb

HSC
Im not sure... I propably disabled it months ago.

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
No need my friend, it was not of great importance.

If the occasion does arise, I will know where to find your email.

Thank you for your concern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)