ADFA- Officer Selection Boards (1 Viewer)

ami8000

HSC
Hey Guys,

I was offered a place for OSB's and i was wondering if anyone who has done it could give me a heads up on what to do.
I want to do Civil Engineering in the Army at ADFA.
Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers,
Ami

TheStallion

HSC
OSB's are tough, especially if you have them the day after FSP finishes. The main advice I can give i'll give in points.

1 - When asked maths questions by the interviewers, do the working out loud. So, if they said "what is 10 multiplied by 120", you'd say something like "well, 10x12 is 120 then add another zero, so 1200"

They want the working as well as just the answers.

Also, when it comes to questions like "if you were on the edge of a cliff, would you jump off?" - don't see it as a retarded question that they use to see if you're psycho. Instead of saying 'no' like everyone seems to, give an answer which seems like you thought about it, like "well, if i had a jetpack or a parachute I'd consider it, but not without any device like that"

Oh, and address all the people on the board by RANK, so many fags walk in and say hi, then just sit down. Learn all the ranks for your service, both officer and general entry, and greet them by their ranks. It gives a great impression.

All in all - be calm, and be truthful. Good luck. :)

ami8000

HSC
What do you mean by "address all the people on the board by RANK"

Thanks for the other help though man. Much appreciated.

Ami

TheStallion

HSC
oh and be prepared for a lot of waiting around...
Hehe, a very good pointer. I'll tell you something my careers advisor told me when I went for it - he might have been wrong, but it seemed to make sense, and so I did it.

He basically said that during the break times, you shouldn't be the guy sitting in the corner reading the paper - you should be introducing yourself to others, striking up some casual conversation, etc etc. To quote him - "they're watching you." Always remember, an officer is a leader.

No idea if they actually do watch for things like that, but hey, I did it, and even if it didn't get me extra brownie points, it was great to learn a bit about the other applicants and have a friendly chat.

What do you mean by "address all the people on the board by RANK"
If they're a Flying Officer, don't say 'hey man', say 'good morning flying officer' or something like that. As mentioned above, if you don't know the rank or just cbf, just use "sir" and "ma'am"

mate if you're going for civil, they're not going to ask you maths questions.
If they didn't ask any questions to test your quick thinking ability, then something is screwed up. Even though i've only seen it from the pilot point of view, they should ask a few of them to every potential applicant.

ami8000

HSC
What type of questions do they ask?
&
How do i get in contact with a Civil Engineer?
So should i study ADFA, RMC, Civil Engineering, Current Deployments, Ranks, Employment Training, and grouping (platoon, company)

TheStallion

HSC
I suppose that's fair enough, but in all fairness, the YOU session testing was a joke.

Having said that - you're right, I suppose the jobs and their selection processes differ.

And yeah, study absolutely everything relating to your job, as well as making sure that you have some formulated answers ready for the generic sort of questions, like why you want to join. For those sorts of things, you could just use the answers you used at your assessment day as a basis.

ami8000

HSC
Haha, thanks guys.

Last question sorry. When does the ADFA semester start? xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)