• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

Brando_1992

HSC
hey guys, been reading this forum for a little while now...trying to figure out as much as i can about this gap year program....

i applied for the program on the 1st of May...the first day it opened...and i still havent heard anything from them. :mad1:

latest email i've gotten from them is the... "Thank you for your patience and congradulations for applying early in this years campaign".

have many people applied like....in the first month that you could... and still not heard anything?? I've been a bit frustrated not really knowing anything and if i have a chance of actually getting in or not....:burn:

seems a bit crap to have applied on the first day and not heard anything while others have applied weeks later and gotten YOU seesions and all that stuff way before the early appliers....(if thats a word) :p

Enchantress91

HSC
hey guys, been reading this forum for a little while now...trying to figure out as much as i can about this gap year program....

i applied for the program on the 1st of May...the first day it opened...and i still havent heard anything from them. :mad1:

latest email i've gotten from them is the... "Thank you for your patience and congradulations for applying early in this years campaign".

have many people applied like....in the first month that you could... and still not heard anything?? I've been a bit frustrated not really knowing anything and if i have a chance of actually getting in or not....:burn:

seems a bit crap to have applied on the first day and not heard anything while others have applied weeks later and gotten YOU seesions and all that stuff way before the early appliers....(if thats a word) :p
I'm in the exact situation as you matey. Applied 3rd of May, been checking my inbox 10 times a day and still no word from DFR. And I thought I was the only one! Maybe we just... don't "belong" lol. Guess we'll have to wait for a 2nd round offer!

ila3

HSC
I rang up to see what was happening and got my assesment day booked..id say its worth giving them a call too!

rizz_31

HSC
hey good stuff ila! good luck on ur assessment day, wat position r u goin for?

yeh it definitely is worth giving them a call, never trust emails etc because after my assessment day they told me all i have to do is wait for the call for my enlistment, but i later found a from a friend who also did the assessment day that he had to get an external blood test b4 they would tell him about his enlistment...

anyway so i rang them up and turns out that they forgot to give me the blood test forms before i left on my assessment day so now the forms are being sent out to me...it was lucky i called them or i might never have gotten through to enlistment!

basically call them if u have any questions!!!!

mggail

HSC
yeh i did the same sort of thing, forgot I had to send in some papers after the YOU session gave them a ring to see what was happening and they were like, well we're waiting for you to send stuff up... haha i was like oh duh.. how long after you booked till your assesment day?

rizz_31

HSC
i actually had a really cool guy who gave me the brief interview at my You Session who took me up to the assessment floor and booked me in for an assesment day then and there, but i dont think thats how they usually do it lol....they like to move through the process quickly so they can start all the second round ppl so i imagine it wouldnt take too long

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I got my assessment day about a few days after I put in all my forms and whatnot, so to anyone that is waiting, definately give them a ring and get it all sorted.

I remember someone saying that this intake is full and they won't be processing anyone until september. I can't remember if this was someone from defence force or somewhere else, so don't take my word on that. Definately hang in there though!

To anyone that is going on to an Assessment day soon, pretty much the only tip there is is to study study study the job you want, also study a little bit on your second preference, if you have one. The sheet they give you with study material is great for this, coupled with some googling and wikipedia use.

Anyone else got their date yet? I want to know who will be suffering with me at Kapooka! :D

Last edited:

rizz_31

HSC
nah man, i'm still waiting to get the blood test done, i wish they would hurry up and send me the forms!!! i hate waiting!!!!

have u got ur enlistment date yet, if so, when r u goin?
u prob said this already but what job?

mggail

HSC
ohhk thanks yeah they were going to give me the assesment day then but they were too busy to put the medical details in, annoying since it just delays all of it and I really want to get in!

Brando_1992

HSC
have you not rang them up yet?

if you have, keep pressuring them....

if you haven't, that wasn't very clever....ring them up asap and ask...don't get anywhere without being proactive...
sorry, havent logged in for a little while..

Yep, I called em up...asked what was happening and all i got in response was what i already know....that the 2nd round offer will be completed by mid september...

the funny thing is....right after i hung up...i checked my email again on the adf website...and i've gotten a 2nd email saying the same thing....thats the "thank u for your patiance and congradulations for applying early in this years gap program"... :confused:

the woman pretty much said..."dont panic, your application is still probably being processed.." didnt really help me out much :mad1:....and i dont like that word "probably"

If only that "first in first served rule" still applied :p ....I just hope i can get in...

Then again....if i can't...i'm most probably (theres that word again! :p) going to join the army reserves...

toadie

HSC
hey Brando_92. I'm in the exact situation as you are. I also tryed ringing them, all I got was theres no chance on improving the probability of getting in to a YOU session. I think in ila 3's case he/she already had done a YOU session and rang for an assesment day.

I also applied on the first day. which adds to my frustrations.

Brando_1992

HSC
ohk...i guess that does make sense in ila3's situation...oh well...guess im just gonna have to hold my breath till mid september.

mikey168

HSC
Hey all, first post here. I've applied for the ADF Gap Year 2010 in the Army as a Rifleman. Just wondering if anyone else here is doing the same. Also i completed year 12 in 2008 and are currently completing a TAFE course this year but after the the Gap Year program, I thought it would be perfect for me. Does anyone have a opinion whether doing this would help or hinder me doing the Gap Year.

ila3

HSC
How!?!...lol....what did u say to them to make em do that?

well id had my you session and just rang up to see what was taking so long ( it had been a few weeks) they checked all my stuff out aptitude test and paperwork and then booked me in!

...oh btw lol yea toadie thats what happened!

Last edited:

Tim_107

HSC
Hey all, first post here. I've applied for the ADF Gap Year 2010 in the Army as a Rifleman. Just wondering if anyone else here is doing the same. Also i completed year 12 in 2008 and are currently completing a TAFE course this year but after the the Gap Year program, I thought it would be perfect for me. Does anyone have a opinion whether doing this would help or hinder me doing the Gap Year.
I graduated in 2007, however in WA we r 17 when we graduate, so its the same (for me) as if i graduated in 2008 in NSW. I dont think it would hinder u doing it, well i hope not, but i know some people that have done it a year out of school and they said its fine. should be a good yr, good luck.

mikey168

HSC
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't to sure if being out of school would be better or worse for the gap year. Really hoping to go as rifleman, although i have heard infantry is full at the moment, i don't know if their are a certain amount of place for Gap years or i have to do another job.

Tim_107

HSC
when i did my YOU day the recruiter said places were really competitive, apparantely due to the white paper they had to cut back the positions (originally they said they'd increase by a certain amount, but they only ended up increasing by much less), but if u show them that u r thinking of making a career out of it, then theres no reason why they wouldn't want you, afterall they r making an investment in us, and they want people who rn't just going to do it and not even consider joining after.

As for infantry i cant comment on that, i'm applying for air force, altho i dont think it would be full, as they are accepting people right up till september to try out, but its a possibility, i reckon the best ADF-GY program would be the army, altho dont be suprised if when ur stationed to a barrack, you get this sh!t jobs, (you are doing it 4 times as fast as everyone else), anyway good luck in getting a YOU session, if u pester them and keep ringing up, then it shows your keen and is a point of difference to everyone else, kind of like a job interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)