additional study resources (1 Viewer)

travalina

HSC
(Not sure if this is the right forum) hey people im doin my hsc in 2006 like most of you, i got 80's in all my subjects but i'd like 85-90 so i was wondering about additional resourses ( eg excel). so can people list resources they found useful for the following subjects

PDHPE

ENGLISH ADVANCED

SOR I

LEGAL STUDIES

BUSINESS STUDIES
Thanks

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
business studies:

longman business studies hsc course
business studies in action hsc course
cambridge hsc business studies (not that good but if you like colour then yeah lol)
business studies hsc course: year 12 business studies workbook (allows you to see how most business studies questions are structured and what is expected)
board of studies business studies student answers

SOR:
macquarie hsc studies of religion
excel studies of religion
living religion
new studies in religion
board of studies studies of religion student answers

for english i suggest you get excel study guides for the texts you are studying. they provide summarys, key quotes and even shows how an essay for the module should be written.

Last edited:

travalina

HSC
thanx for the help, anyone else? does anyone know of any good book stores from which to purchase these, that would help greatly

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Try looking around all soughts of book stores like Dymocks and Borders to find the books you need.

Lavenderpup

HSC
completely education bookstores -
five senses in westfield north rocks
yorke books parramatta

HSC
N/A
If you're anywhere near Penrith, it'd be good to check out Nepean Educational Supplies (aka. NES books) on Abel Street.

They stock a wide range of textbooks for HSC subjects, as well as lots of study guides, by Excel, Macquarie and others. They also stock loads of English texts and study guides. It's a pretty damn good shop.

Dymocks and other book shops also stock Excel Study Guides, so that'd be worth checking out.

For specific subjects, you'd probably benefit from creating a thread in each of those subject forums, asking what books members found most useful.

As for SOR, I can recommend to you the Excel study guide for that. I love the way it's set out and find it very readable. In fact I open it up often just for my own pleasure! 'Living Religion' 2nd Edition by Longman books is also worth checking out.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
How about you give the 2005ers a bit of extra cash?

Theres like 1000 of them selling their old books and I'm sure theyll be more than greatful if you showed some interest in their stuff.

It'll be second hand, but how bad can it seriously be? Plus, you'll get em for like half price or less. Check out the Buy/Sell forums

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
dymocks in the city practically has everything. you should check it out.

HSC
N/A
Does anyone else here love textbooks? In the junior years I hated them because they were for subjects I didn't really care about, but I love my senior textbooks.

I'm glad we have to buy our own, I want to keep them all :)

HSC
N/A
You should also check out the Board of Studies 'Standards Packages' for those subjects. They're CD-ROMs with samples of student answers from previous HSC exams. BOS says, "The examples chosen illustrate answers which earned marks at the borderline between each pair of performance bands. Where possible, answers earning full marks are also included as exemplars."

Ask your teachers or subject co-ordinators if they can lend them to you. I'm pretty sure they should have them. If not, you can purshase them yourself through the Board of Studies E-Shop.

Pubert

HSC
Im not sure if these is the right forum but it seems like a good thread for this sort of thing....

Can someone please suggest good chemistry and economics books to buy for yr11?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Pubert said:
Can someone please suggest good chemistry and economics books to buy for yr11?
Chemistry Contexts, Concrete Chemistry, and Conquering Chemistry are all good, you should at least get two of those so your summaries are thorough and cross-referenced. For eco, I use the Global Economy textbook, which is updated every year, and a good core textbook if your school is using it.

Pubert

HSC
Riviet said:
Chemistry Contexts, Concrete Chemistry, and Conquering Chemistry are all good, you should at least get two of those so your summaries are thorough and cross-referenced. For eco, I use the Global Economy textbook, which is updated every year, and a good core textbook if your school is using it.
Is chemistry contexts the same as chemistry in context because i have purchased physics in context and it seems rather usefull.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I can't believe it has not already been mentioned. The boredofstudies resources found through the home page contains some great last minute study guides, summaries of course work and examples although it is best to use these in conjunction with study guides.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Pubert said:
Is chemistry contexts the same as chemistry in context because i have purchased physics in context and it seems rather usefull.
The prelim one is just called Chemistry Contexts, hsc one is Chemistry Contexts 2, published by Longman. If you're sure the textbook you're referring to has a "the" in between, then it's probably a different textbook that I haven't seen before. But Chemistry Contexts is a very detailed textbook and is much more comprehensive than the other two and definitely worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)