adapting to past questions (1 Viewer)

lozzipops_87

HSC
just a quick question, for a while now they have been saying "how has your understanding bieng broadened by the study of transformations" does that mean you can write in first person.
and how exactly would u adapt an essay to that question, like would you say,
"through the study of transformations i have learnt how much influence context has on form and meaning"
somebody help.. just give me a brief idea
thanku

GOODLUCK EVERYONE!!

evette13

HSC
Yes, u write in first person although sometimes you can get full marks writing in third ie 'one's understanding of transformations is broadened...'
Last years question was VERY similar to the one u wrote, have u seen some of the standards answers? Basically you can say that transformations has increased ur knowledge on context and meaning or the changes in societies or changes in values or just generally the changes over time?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
In answer to your question, yup!

Although the ordinary conventions of writing essays is not to have personal pronouns, when faced with questions incorporating the word "your" you are allowed to use my, or I, etc Or even a 3rd person perspective as eve pointed out.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I disagree. I think for transformations, it's similar to Journeys, where you say "The responder's understanding of transformations..." or "One's understanding of transformations", or "Our understanding of transformations..." and avoid 'my' or 'I'.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
I disagree. I think for transformations, it's similar to Journeys, where you say "The responder's understanding of transformations..." or "One's understanding of transformations", or "Our understanding of transformations..." and avoid 'my' or 'I'.
I agree with this - while it's of course permissable to use first person responses in an essay question, it is not advisable as third person promotes the formality neccesary for essay writing. Last year when I did Advanced course I would rather have cut off my own pinky than write essays that were informal and first person, and that is inclusive of last years question. It's doable, but unless you know how to write well with first person for essays and it works for the question, then avoid it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)