Votes: 68 16.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 27 6.5%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
katie tully said:
Oh sweet Jesus, I lol'd so hard and my first thought was. Gills? REMEMBER THE HOT GUY, CANT THINK OF HIS NAME, OFF SEAQUEST? THE ONE WITH GILLS?

Hot.
Oh fuck, it turns out that guy hanged himself a few years ago.

Will go rent SeaQuest for nostalgia :(

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
chaldoking said:
Watch EXPELLED :D
Expelled, eh? Wasn't that some completely whacked out creationist propaganda film?

So I heard it didn't get very good reviews:

The general media response to the film has been largely unfavorable. It received an 8% (with 0% being completely "rotten" and 100% being completely "fresh") meta-score from Rotten Tomatoes. Multiple reviews, including those of USA Today and Scientific American, have described the film as propaganda. The Chicago Tribune's rating was "1 star (poor)," while the New York Times described it as "a conspiracy-theory rant masquerading as investigative inquiry" and "an unprincipled propaganda piece that insults believers and nonbelievers alike." One of the few positive reviews appeared in Christianity Today.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science describes the film as dishonest and divisive propaganda, aimed at introducing religious ideas into public school science classrooms
, and the film is being used in private screenings to legislators as part of the Discovery Institute intelligent design campaign for Academic Freedom bills (bills designed to introduce criticism of evolution into school science classes)
Hmm.... It also claims that Nazism, communism and Planned Parenthood (wtf?) are a result of the acceptance of the evolution theory... And oh my, its denouncing science as evil! If it weren't for science, those people wouldn't have been able to make that documentary! They even misquoted Charles Darwin:

John Moore writing in the National Post said:
Stein quotes from a passage in Darwin's writing that appears to endorse the notion that for a species to thrive the infirm must be culled. He omits the part where Darwin insists this would be "evil" and that man's care for the weak is "the noblest part of our nature." When I asked Stein about this on my radio show he deadpanned, "If any Darwin fans are listening and we have misquoted him, we are sorry; we don't mean to diss Darwin."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled

Excuses, excuses...

Well I've done my part in making fun of that. Care to find us some more valid proofs?

Oh, and by the way, you still haven't answered my question. This is the third time I've posted this:

squeenie said:
Chaldoking, if you really are Catholic, then why do you reject the evolution theory? Isn't there a general consensus within the Catholic community that evolution should be accepted?

And yes, I know there are some parts of it they're unsure of, but its better than rejecting it entirely, or worse, ignoring it.

Last edited:

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
staticsiscool said:
SHUT THE FUCK UP CUNT. You fucking stupid cunt. I was talking to martin123 or whoever the fuck it was because they said that if we evolved from monkeys, what happened to the monkey. YOU FUCKING MORON. I was telling them that their understanding of the evolutionary theory was wrong. YOU FUCKING DUMB CUNT LEARN TO FUCKING READ. The end.

Edit: It was bobzz not martin123 i was talking to BUT YOU"RE STILL A FUCKING WANKER WHO CANT READ.

EDIT: What the fuck, you were educating me on evolutionary theory??? You fucking faggoty 08er. I know more about evolutionary theory and origins of the moon/earth etc than you do you little cunt.

Katie, wtf is seaquest?
Are you hearing yourself?!

Well if you think that all 08ers are that retarded, let's see you demonstrate your oh-so-superior knowledge then. Moll knew what he was talking about. If you can't accept it when someone corrects you, then clearly, you need a life.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
squeenie said:
Are you hearing yourself?!

Well if you think that all 08ers are that retarded, let's see you demonstrate your oh-so-superior knowledge then. Moll knew what he was talking about. If you can't accept it when someone corrects you, then clearly, you need a life.
No, I think you and Moll need to learn to read.

If you did, you'd see static's response was to some Christian nut who asked where the original monkey went, if we came from monkeys. Moll interjected when it wasn't necessary.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
I didnt say all 08ers are that retarded, i just called him a faggoty 08er? Also he did not correct me, because i was not wrong. If you would care to go back and look at what i posted, you will see that i did not say anything contradicting evolutionary theory at all, i was commenting on the inaccuracys in bobzz understanding of it. Then faggot boy came in call me a retard and going on to explain the fundamentals of the evolutionary theory. So you too, STFU.

Edit: Read above. also IM FUCKING RAGING. Man i can almost understand why chrisitians get pissed when they have to argue with fuckwits like you two. Almost. If i was retarded, maybe.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Oh snap...

I stand corrected then. But was there really a need to post those kinds of insults, though?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I would suggest that our readiness to manipulate human genetics for reproductive services would also be driving this?

KinKaida

HSC
I'm not a believer in the Christian theory of creationism. I'm actually an agnostic.

However, for those of you that have decided to interpret the concept of Adam and Eve as incestuous - the concept of Adam and Eve may just be an idea, a metaphor. Whether you take it literally or not, is up to you... However, then there's a good chance you'd take everything else literally too... Which would be rather unfortunate.

But, I've gone through the 'god made everything', 'science can explain everything' phases. And i've realised that religion is almost entirely subjective, and neither science, nor religion can actually explain everything.

That's my POV.

Monika D

HSC
The arguments for creationism are shit.
The "father" of intelligent design Phillip E Johnson had a degree in literature. He knew shit all about science.

Last edited:
HSC
KinKaida said:
But, I've gone through the 'god made everything', 'science can explain everything' phases. And i've realised that religion is almost entirely subjective, and neither science, nor religion can actually explain everything.
Yes, but science doesn't claim to be able to explain everything (at the present moment). Whereas most religions say that what we don't understand we aren't meant to.

studentcheese

HSC
I'm an agnostic. Adam and Eve can't be proven but evolution can. i.e fossil records and the lot. I opted for Evolution.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
KinKaida said:
I'm not a believer in the Christian theory of creationism. I'm actually an agnostic.

However, for those of you that have decided to interpret the concept of Adam and Eve as incestuous - the concept of Adam and Eve may just be an idea, a metaphor. Whether you take it literally or not, is up to you... However, then there's a good chance you'd take everything else literally too... Which would be rather unfortunate.

That's my POV.
Adam and eve, actually nearly all of genesis, was a vision seen by moses, which he recorded. The whole story of creationism is a vision of moses', i think (correct if wrong). Maybe its all God wanted them to know at that stage; maybe thats all they could understand at that point in history. We are, as a whole, much more intelligent than we were that long ago.

You're right in saying that religion cannot actually explain everything. That's because when christians can't explain something, "God doesn't want us to know everything". Religion is entirely subjective, there can be no correlation between religion (at least in the sense of christianity) and scientific theory.

However, i think it would be possible to eventually explain everything through science, at least through an observable point of view.

danpayne

HSC
fair enough that religion cant prove evrything, but science cant either, and never will be able to. I believe that there can be no differentiation between religion and science, they are interlelated.
the big bang, can be easily explained through religion and science, as can evolution. its naive to hold the idea that its either religion or science.... it can always be both

HSC
danpayne said:
fair enough that religion cant prove evrything, but science cant either, and never will be able to. I believe that there can be no differentiation between religion and science, they are interlelated.
the big bang, can be easily explained through religion and science, as can evolution. its naive to hold the idea that its either religion or science.... it can always be both
Cool yeah I always refer to my bible when I'm trying to find the definition of space time or understand universal expansion or redshifting/blueshifting and the doppler effect. It's weird how the answer to each question tells me to kill gays.

j3ffr0

journeyintosound
HSC
i believe that when god asked adam whether he was lonely, he told adam that the perfect woman would cost him an arm and a leg...so he asked, what can i get for a couple of ribs?

Creationism is a theory that is as plausible as any theory i concoct on a weekend binge. David Hume also criticized the way in which theists try to make out that their beliefs are on an equal footing with those of naturalism. This poll even enforces to some people that creationism is a choice that is just as valid as science. However this is not true! Evolution is very much a proven fact and although theists will always argue that gaps in the fossil record are proof of creationism, i would like to ask just how likely it is for an animate object to fossilize? fossilization is not a likely consequence and this is why there are gaps in evolutionary records.

ah, and as for the high percentage of Americans that believe the earth was created in 7 days, the key word there is 'Americans'. i wouldnt be surprised if the same percentage believed that universe revolved around time square or that crispy cream doughnuts were created on the 8th day.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)