Votes: 255 61.6%
  • Both

Votes: 68 16.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 27 6.5%

• Total voters
K

katie_tully

I think you need to look up the definition of a communist.
For starters I am not deluded enough to believe all people are equal, they're clearly not.

Maybe you misinterpreted me. :)

HSC
eutopia? EUtopia? the perfect world=everyone equally happy. fuck that, i need schadenfraude

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It's much the same in cases where the Bible or any other book is so obviously illogical (eg Noah's Ark) that it is evident to anyone with any kind of reasoning that the story is just that, a story, a metaphor, not meant to be taken literally.
And yet you might find it easier to believe, literally that a man built a large boat and put animals on it to escape a flood, than that a man was born of a virgin and came back from the dead. :D

BradCube

HSC
3unitz said:
good example indeed.:shy:

oh, and i found a nice and simple site for you to checkout BradCube about evolution and some common misconceptions:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_noway.htm

should give you some topics you can research further if you wish
Cheers for that.
Sorry about my late or rather, lack of reply. I got pretty sick the day after my last post and have been just sitting and stewing on this information for the last week. Stuff like this takes a while to take in for me. It seems to me that evolution is the most reasonable explanation we can make for life's diversity around us.

I have also been thinking about how my faith (Christianity for those not following the thread) in particular fits with this. Grant me the assumption that God exists for this hypothetical. If he does, would it be possible to believe that God had planned evolution from the origin of life or even the from the beginnings of the universe? Knowing which mutations would occur, in which order, throughout the history of earth?

I am also having trouble accepting just how well balanced the life on this earth is with it's ecosystem. Now that may seem like an obvious one at first (life has to evolve to suit it's environment after all) but I am also referring to how the eco-system itself is effected positively by the life within it. I in my reading today I came across reference to an algae that helps regulate the temperature of the earth. It works by building cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) which allows the water to condense to form cloud droplets which reflect sunlight and hence cool the planet down more. It was also said that they also reproduce more quickly in warmer waters and decrease in cooler waters and thereby act as one form of climate control.

*Just did some wikiing on this issue actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_condensation_nuclei

Seems the theory is currently unproven. Either way I think the original point that the both the ecosystem that evolved life that exists within it in seem to compliment each other very well.

In my other thoughts I was also wondering why we have not seen the rise of one animal that has wiped out or dominated the whole planet? Now I realize that the obvious conclusion may be that we are that animal. However my question goes beyond which animal has dominion over the earth, but more to why haven't we seen an animal wipe out every other living species? Ie a virus that has destroyed every living thing?

What do we also attribute to our differing intellectual abilities compared to other animals? Why do we discuss the origins of our existence? Why do we express creativity? It seems odd that there are no other animals on the tree of life that are at the same stage as us.

BradCube

HSC
Ademir said:
It's much the same in cases where the Bible or any other book is so obviously illogical (eg Noah's Ark) that it is evident to anyone with any kind of reasoning that the story is just that, a story, a metaphor, not meant to be taken literally.
I felt like investigating this quickly as upon hearing Noah again, it does seem quite ridiculous. Here are some links however that were first among my search results:

http://www.specialtyinterests.net/the_remains_of_noahs_ark.html

and linked from there with an explanation on the possibility of animals actually fitting inside such a structure:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i2/animals.asp

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
BradCube said:
I have also been thinking about how my faith (Christianity for those not following the thread) in particular fits with this. Grant me the assumption that God exists for this hypothetical. If he does, would it be possible to believe that God had planned evolution from the origin of life or even the from the beginnings of the universe? Knowing which mutations would occur, in which order, throughout the history of earth?
Having evolution being 'planned' from the start totally undermines and, indeed, disobeys one of the fundamental laws of the universe - the law of entropy (Second Law of Thermodynamics; look it up in depth and in context yourself). Planning would disobey the role that chaos inherently has in genetic evolution, not to mention the fact that it would disobey all quantum laws thereof.

BradCube said:
I am also having trouble accepting just how well balanced the life on this earth is with it's ecosystem. Now that may seem like an obvious one at first (life has to evolve to suit it's environment after all) but I am also referring to how the eco-system itself is effected positively by the life within it.
Well of course it seems like it is - the 'ecosystem', as it is currently, has had several BILLION years to equilibrate (though generally that is an illusion, as the climate and ecosystems causing/supported by that are constantly in flux - elsewise we wouldn't have ice ages, for example).

BradCube said:
In my other thoughts I was also wondering why we have not seen the rise of one animal that has wiped out or dominated the whole planet? Now I realize that the obvious conclusion may be that we are that animal. However my question goes beyond which animal has dominion over the earth, but more to why haven't we seen an animal wipe out every other living species? Ie a virus that has destroyed every living thing?
It's something that biologists like to colloquially call the 'evolutionary arms race'. A virus becomes to virulent; certain animals are immune, and survive to pass on those genes. A predator is too effective as a predator; lack of prey wipes it out or its prey, for example in the case of say the cheetah, develop the means to outrun it. There will never be a 'dominant' animal, though we arrogantly assume that we are it; even scouring the planet with nukes wouldn't kill the chemosynthetic bacteria on the seafloor.[/quote]

BradCube said:
What do we also attribute to our differing intellectual abilities compared to other animals? Why do we discuss the origins of our existence? Why do we express creativity? It seems odd that there are no other animals on the tree of life that are at the same stage as us.
No other animal is at the same 'stage' as us because the conditions that allowed our brains to evolve were unique to us. Our tool use, our social structures - all required bigger brains, and with bigger brains and social consciousness comes SELF-consciousness.

*sigh* You've brought up a big topic hugely under contention, because we don't YET know exactly HOW the structure and complexity of our brains produced the ability to, for example, be creative. We know why - such is the background of the field of sociobiology - but we don't know exactly how. I'd encourage you to explore for yourself.

BradCube

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
1. "Fine tuning" ? The universe is just a constant set of exceptionally chaotic processes, there is nothing fine tuned about it.
Based on these types of responses, I think I have realized that people may not have been aware to what I was talking about. What is known as the fine-tuning of the universe refers to the improbability of life currently existing based only on naturalistic explanations. Ie, our location in our solar system, it's location in our galaxy, and so on. It also refers to characteristics that make up our universe. Ie why physics seem to be set perfectly to allow such a universe to exist. I'll refer you to the first link I found for the evidence of fine-tuning (A Christian website, but it will show you the idea) http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

My second point that "God makes sense of the origin of the universe" also seemed to be interpreted as a "God of Gaps" argument. I would refer you to an article from a man called William Lane Craig which can be found at http://www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.html which is my current reasoning for my belief.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

BradCube

HSC
Kwayera said:
Having evolution being 'planned' from the start totally undermines and, indeed, disobeys one of the fundamental laws of the universe - the law of entropy (Second Law of Thermodynamics; look it up in depth and in context yourself). Planning would disobey the role that chaos inherently has in genetic evolution, not to mention the fact that it would disobey all quantum laws thereof.
But if a God created the law of entropy?

I must thank you for your other responses, by the way. They are always very insightful and hit the nail right on the head. Ta :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
BradCube said:
Based on these types of responses, I think I have realized that people may not have been aware to what I was talking about. What is known as the fine-tuning of the universe refers to the improbability of life currently existing based only on naturalistic explanations. Ie, our location in our solar system, it's location in our galaxy, and so on. It also refers to characteristics that make up our universe. Ie why physics seem to be set perfectly to allow such a universe to exist. I'll refer you to the first link I found for the evidence of fine-tuning (A Christian website, but it will show you the idea) http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

My second point that "God makes sense of the origin of the universe" also seemed to be interpreted as a "God of Gaps" argument. I would refer you to an article from a man called William Lane Craig which can be found at http://www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.html which is my current reasoning for my belief.
Well there's your problem and your source of confusion - you're looking at the science from the veil of Christian rubric.

Look at the science. Not the science as a complementary adjunct to religion; religion has no bearing in the context of science. Look at the science. I really can't stress that enough.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Kwayera said:
Well there's your problem and your source of confusion - you're looking at the science from the veil of Christian rubric.
Over the years, many people have challenged me with a question like:

‘I’ve been trying to witness to my friends. They say they don’t believe the Bible and aren’t interested in the stuff in it. They want real proof that there’s a God who created, and then they’ll listen to my claims about Christianity. What proof can I give them without mentioning the Bible so they’ll start to listen to me?’

Briefly, my response is as follows.
Evidence

Creationists and evolutionists, Christians and non-Christians all have the same evidence—the same facts. Think about it: we all have the same earth, the same fossil layers, the same animals and plants, the same stars—the facts are all the same.

The difference is in the way we all interpret the facts. And why do we interpret facts differently? Because we start with different presuppositions. These are things that are assumed to be true, without being able to prove them. These then become the basis for other conclusions. All reasoning is based on presuppositions (also called axioms). This becomes especially relevant when dealing with past events.
Past and present

We all exist in the present—and the facts all exist in the present. When one is trying to understand how the evidence came about (Where did the animals come from? How did the fossil layers form? etc.), what we are actually trying to do is to connect the past to the present.

However, if we weren’t there in the past to observe events, how can we know what happened so we can explain the present? It would be great to have a time machine so we could know for sure about past events.

Christians of course claim they do, in a sense, have a ‘time machine’. They have a book called the Bible which claims to be the Word of God who has always been there, and has revealed to us the major events of the past about which we need to know.

On the basis of these events (Creation, Fall, Flood, Babel, etc.), we have a set of presuppositions to build a way of thinking which enables us to interpret the evidence of the present.

Evolutionists have certain beliefs about the past/present that they presuppose, e.g. no God (or at least none who performed acts of special creation), so they build a different way of thinking to interpret the evidence of the present.

Thus, when Christians and non-Christians argue about the evidence, in reality they are arguing about their interpretations based on their presuppositions.

That’s why the argument often turns into something like:

‘Can’t you see what I’m talking about?’

‘No, I can’t. Don’t you see how wrong you are?’

‘No, I’m not wrong. It’s obvious that I’m right.’

‘No, it’s not obvious.’ And so on.

These two people are arguing about the same evidence, but they are looking at the evidence through different glasses.

It’s not until these two people recognize the argument is really about the presuppositions they have to start with, that they will begin to deal with the foundational reasons for their different beliefs. A person will not interpret the evidence differently until they put on a different set of glasses—which means to change one’s presuppositions.

I’ve found that a Christian who understands these things can actually put on the evolutionist’s glasses (without accepting the presuppositions as true) and understand how they look at evidence. However, for a number of reasons, including spiritual ones, a non-Christian usually can’t put on the Christian’s glasses—unless they recognize the presuppositional nature of the battle and are thus beginning to question their own presuppositions.

It is of course sometimes possible that just by presenting ‘evidence’, you can convince a person that a particular scientific argument for creation makes sense ‘on the facts’. But usually, if that person then hears a different interpretation of the same evidence that seems better than yours, that person will swing away from your argument, thinking they have found ‘stronger facts’.

However, if you had helped the person to understand this issue of presuppositions, then they will be better able to recognize this for what it is—a different interpretation based on differing presuppositions—i.e. starting beliefs.

As a teacher, I found that whenever I taught the students what I thought were the ‘facts’ for creation, then their other teacher would just re-interpret the facts. The students would then come back to me saying, ‘Well sir, you need to try again.’

However, when I learned to teach my students how we interpret facts, and how interpretations are based on our presuppositions, then when the other teacher tried to reinterpret the facts, the students would challenge the teacher’s basic assumptions. Then it wasn’t the students who came back to me, but the other teacher! This teacher was upset with me because the students wouldn’t accept her interpretation of the evidence and challenged the very basis of her thinking.

What was happening was that I had learned to teach the students how to think rather than just what to think. What a difference that made to my class! I have been overjoyed to find, sometimes decades later, some of those students telling me how they became active, solid Christians as a result.

BradCube

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Ha ha, as I said, it was a very quick search, I didn't take much time checking the sites they were actually coming from. Just took a brief read through to make sure that it made sense. If there is a problem with the actually points raised in the article let me know - because I would like to know :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
BradCube said:
But if a God created the law of entropy?

I must thank you for your other responses, by the way. They are always very insightful and hit the nail right on the head. Ta :)
Entropy by definition defies 'creation'.

No worries. :)

BradCube

HSC
Kwayera said:

Look at the science. Not the science as a complementary adjunct to religion; religion has no bearing in the context of science. Look at the science. I really can't stress that enough.
You must understand that from my point of view that is a lot easier said than done. Whilst I will always en devour to look at the evidence I see with a clear set of eyes and mind, when I come to a point where I find a contradiction there are three options available to me:

1. Ignore the facts (not an option)
2. Discard my previous belief (not a preference)
3. Re-interpret how this new evidence actually fits with my previous belief.

It is only after I have exhausted options 1 and 3 (which includes actually investigating the facts) that I will look at discarding my previous beliefs. So in my case, I would always prefer to find explanations of how my belief in Christianity fits with science and not discard the whole thing as soon find something that seemingly contradicts what I believe.

I hope that appears as logical to others as it does to me.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
In times like these I am always tempted to bring out the old "What is more likely? Which is more logical? That the earth was around and happily developing on its own for four billion years before the barest hint of the Christian god or, indeed, ANY god or deity, mere thousands of years ago? Or that some omnipotent, omniscient being (qualities which are generally as impossible to disprove as prove) preordained and then created it all, and we only "discovered" this fact (albeit at first incorrectly; our Word appears to be more correct than God's) a scant two thousand years ago?" argument, but I find the deployment of such a tactic to be generally unfair.

BradCube

HSC
Kwayera said:
In times like these I am always tempted to bring out the old "What is more likely? Which is more logical? That the earth was around and happily developing on its own for four billion years before the barest hint of the Christian god or, indeed, ANY god or deity, mere thousands of years ago? Or that some omnipotent, omniscient being (qualities which are generally as impossible to disprove as prove) preordained and then created it all, and we only "discovered" this fact (albeit at first incorrectly; our Word appears to be more correct than God's) a scant two thousand years ago?" argument, but I find the deployment of such a tactic to be generally unfair.
Please, I encourage you to have a read through http://www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.html

I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts on the argument.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
BradCube said:
Please, I encourage you to have a read through http://www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.html

I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts on the argument.
I tried. One of my main initial contentions is that the author speaks as a philosopher, not as a scientist. It is a narrative of rhetoric and apparent logical conclusions; his idea of Hilbert's Hotel is actually logical fallacy. He tries (and fails) to use mathematics to support an argument that is, again, pure rhetoric; to argue, for example, that an "infinitely distant starting point" is in fact "no starting point at all", as an allusion to the beginnings of the universe, is to ignore the framework behind WHY we tend to regard the universe as "infinite" (it isn't, but in effect to us). He does actually try to justify it with Hubble's discovery that the universe is expanding, but his conclusion - that the idea of infinite density before the big bang is the same as no density, as nothingness - shows a profound misunderstanding of some of the most basic quantum theory.

Further to his "Second Scientific Confirmation" (of what, I'm still asking), I quote:

The second law seems to imply that, given enough time, the universe will reach a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, known as the "heat death" of the universe. This death may be hot or cold, depending on whether the universe will expand forever or eventually re-contract. On the one hand, if the density of the universe is great enough to overcome the force of the expansion, then the universe will re-contract into a hot fireball. As the universe contracts, the stars burn more rapidly until they finally explode or evaporate. As the universe grows denser, the black holes begin to gobble up everything around them and begin themselves to coalesce until all the black holes finally coalesce into one gigantic black hole which is coextensive with the universe, from which it will never re-emerge.
Wrong. He misunderstands both the implication and the actual contextual process of heat death, especially in the event of a Big Crunch. He's also wrong about a lot of the opposite of it; the fact that he refers to "some scientists" and does not cite his work to the appropriate sources on that subject is hugely telling.

It's about there that I stopped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)