Actuary Q: Completion of Part I earns $35000-$40000? (1 Viewer)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Of course they are going to beef it up and make it sound good to put in the article, but I know people who have completed Part I at uni and then gone on to not even work as an actuary, one working at the ABS and another working in Auditing, with only an actuarial degree.

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
that's considering you get a job at the end!
lots of actuaries come out at the end of three/four years of torture and work as a lonely accountant

also it is hard to get part II, let alone get part III
lots of people just get part I and don't bother continuing with it

professional? exprience counts a lot more than a piece of paper

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
actually part 2 is easier than part 1. its mostly bkwork. its just that standards are higher - its recommended u have some financial services experience and to get ur exemptions u need a DN or better.

part 3 is worth it cz u get to choose stuff, eg investments and finance. buts its difficult to get it. cfa is faster if u want a recognised qualification for finance. (according to andrew tang, actl1001 tutor)

grimreaper

HSC
My sister started on around $43 000 after completing part I... but that was with a good company

CrashOveride

HSC
But if you actually finish the degree at uni, that should give you exemptions from part I and II. So i dont know how people end up working with just part I ?

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
That's at macquarie, at unsw, you can only get part2 through an honours year or postgrad.

CrashOveride

HSC
yeah thats what i infered. at maq, if u do single acst its the same deal. if u do combined acst then u get the part II.

so if u do combined acst at UNSW, does it work the same way or unsw bad ?

lawforever

HSC
CrashOveride said:
yeah thats what i infered. at maq, if u do single acst its the same deal. if u do combined acst then u get the part II.

so if u do combined acst at UNSW, does it work the same way or unsw bad ?
yes it does

B commerce (actuarial studies) / B science (maths / statistics / comp science) can get u the part II

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lawforever said:
yes it does

B commerce (actuarial studies) / B science (maths / statistics / comp science) can get u the part II
no it doesn't!
only way through UNSW for part II is if you do honors or masters or if you choose to do the part II subjects without merit ontop of your commerce degree

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
no it doesn't!
only way through UNSW for part II is if you do honors or masters or if you choose to do the part II subjects without merit ontop of your commerce degree
redslert is dead...wrong. u can get part 2 in combined degree with actl/maths or actl/stats cz there are enough electives (still need permission from prof sherris). not sure about comp sci or other sci majors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)