actuaries - do u get much time for a life? (1 Viewer)

forgotten_dark

HSC
hey I've been thinking of doing actuarial studies for a while now, but I'm still not sure whether to do it or not...I've heard that generally people who take actuarial studies always have their heads in a book, and don't get much time for social activities and sports during uni (let alone once u become a professional working actuary). Is this true? I do study quite a lot, and I'm not saying that I wouldn't if I were to take the course (at Macquarie), but would I still get much spare time, as well as go see my mates and time to play sports on weekends? how many of u actuaries actually play sports and are quite good (representative level)?
Just wondering...

Thanks

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes, you do have time - to see your mates and play sport.

Some actuaries play sport, others don't (like most professions). Are they quite good? What do you mean by representative level anyway?

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
Most acst students I know play some form of sport and some are very good. A lot play in the organised soccer/hockey/cricket/footy seasons.

ASSOC (www.mqassoc.org) also encourages sport among acst students.

ND

HSC
ACST doesn't require more study than any other degree. In fact, i'd say you spend less time studying than you would in a humanties or law degree cos you don't have to write essays throughout your semester.

This sem i've got a total of 9 hours a week (4 of which i go to), so believe me, you'll have heaps of free time. (the work load isn't always this light, but you'll have stacks of free time none the less)

forgotten_dark

HSC
Oh ok cool, thanks guys thats what i wanted to know. I was also wondering...I know u said the kind of maths involved is mainly financial and probability, but do u get to bring other topics in as well very often to solve these problems (eg like complex integrations and heavy algebraic proofs?)

flyin' said:
Are they quite good? What do you mean by representative level anyway?
As in play more than just a standard club/uni team - like reps, regional, state, etc

bong

HSC
Will you have time? Yes

Enough time where you can fit the many hours of training required to be competitive at a decent representative level? Maybe, but doubtful

forgotten_dark

HSC
bong said:
Enough time where you can fit the many hours of training required to be competitive at a decent representative level? Maybe, but doubtful
Thats what i was worried about...I still wanna do the course, but I'm worried that I won't get the time to put in the hrs required to keep playing at state level...

bong

HSC
State level what exactly?

Maybe consider part-time study, but ask yourself if its worth the trouble.

RIZAL

HSC
forgotten_dark said:
Thats what i was worried about...I still wanna do the course, but I'm worried that I won't get the time to put in the hrs required to keep playing at state level...

I'd still encourage you to apply for Actuarial Studies. Not many students would be representing at State level, so you'd actually have something really interesting to talk about in interviews when you are finally applying for a job. A lot of employers are looking for people with real team work skills - something you would obviously have.

And you'll learn time management skills. As ND said, we have plenty of free hours in the week!

ND

HSC
So you're not gonna go to uni at all cos of sports? As i said before, actuarial doesn't take up any more of your time than any other degree.

forgotten_dark

HSC
bong said:
State level what exactly?

Maybe consider part-time study, but ask yourself if its worth the trouble.
as in playing for NSW in hockey. no i definitely dont want to go through part-time study.

I think i might still put down for actuarial as first choice, since u r saying that its not any different to the workload of other courses. thanks for ur time fellas ;)

ks21

HSC
UNSW actuarial would be a lighter workload, u mite wanna consider that.

First year (so far) has been pretty comfortable for me, I stay at college, and I've been playin plenty of stuff through the sessions, (hockey, volleyball, cricket, tennis, soccer, touch footy, squash, cross country, etc), lol, yeh i love my sports.

Yeh, and im not barely passing, session 1 wam 84.25, so yeh (prob drop this session).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)