Actuarial Studies with Computer Science (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
ok I am so confused!
i read stuff on here which contradicts stuff in the booklets ARRRR!

ok im doing B Commerce / B Science
wanting to major in Actuarial Studies and Computer Science
is this what my courses should look like?

Year 1 Semester 1
ACCT1501
ECON1101
MATH1151
COMP1011 OR COMP1711

Year 1 Semester 2
ACCT1511
ECON1102
MATH1251
ACTL1001

is that right?

also i read that with MATH1151 requires a combined HSC mark in Ext1&2 Maths of above 180...but i kinda didn't do so good in 4u which dragged my mark down lol and got a combined of around 160-170
can i still do MATH1151 or should i be looking at something else...

thank you!

Last edited:

Mill

HSC
This is all from memory, but my memory is usually damned good:

MATH1151 recommended HSC marks of 186
MATH1141 recommended HSC marks of 180

The subject isn't all that hard though IF YOU WORK AT IT...

maniacguy

The courses you've picked are right, yes.

In terms of the recommended marks - which topics did you struggle with in 4u? Topics like volumes and most of mechanics won't matter in MATH1151/1251, but if you struggled with integration and complex numbers, be prepared to work at them (of course, if you struggled with those two, getting 160-170 should have been near impossible, so you should be okay)

Talk to Dr. Dennis Trenerry in the school of maths - he'll be able to advise you best on what course you might want to do (plus he's one of the lecturers for MATH1151, which is a bonus).

Realistically, I don't see it as making too much of a difference which subject you do, as long as you're prepared to work hard enough to get a good grip on what's being done, as Mill said.

edit: As for reading stuff on here which contradicts the booklets, then some of the booklets are wrong, some of the stuff on here may be wrong, and sometimes both may be wrong (that last in particular if they update their policies, which happens). Use your judgement, or ask the advisors :p

Last edited:

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i wanted to do the exact same subjects as redslert was asking about but today at the advise thing the lecturuer for comm/sci said comp sci wont be counted as a sci subject. please tell me thats wrong

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
i wanted to do the exact same subjects as redslert was asking about but today at the advise thing the lecturuer for comm/sci said comp sci wont be counted as a sci subject. please tell me thats wrong
yes she was wrong!! i was there when she said it wasn't a major for the science....lol a few people were shocked....one was me lol you must have been one too! :p

anyway i asked some of the orange shirt people...picked a good one whom was a computer science student himself...talked for a while and he told me to reconsider my options because since actuarial studies is very demanding, he said computer science is also demanding and to really consider it before i pick it...

ok then i ask him who i can see to make sure i can pick it, tim lambert...i had to wait around like 2hrs just to see him :rolleyes:
so boring waiting for him...he was half an hour late too, asked some people and they said it was usual for him to be late lol

he said that it was alrite to do actuarial and computer science together, as long as the timetable doesn't have any clashes

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
HMMMMz the crappy computer timetable system doesn't allow me to enroll for COMP1011?!

it saids

"Error:Requirements not met for class, student not enrolled "

dammit! what should i do??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)