actuarial studies major + pther major? (1 Viewer)

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
hi, i m new to unsw , in Bcom, intending to be major in actuarial studies and accounting . However, according to the year handbook , i need to take Math1151 instead of the Econ1201 if i wanna to be major in actuarial studies ... my concern is ..what if i decide not to take actuarial studies after the first year , and only want to take accounting as my major ??does it affect anything ??? (for accouting , econ1201 is a must take module)

Thanks !!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
hi, i m new to unsw , in Bcom, intending to be major in actuarial studies and accounting . However, according to the year handbook , i need to take Math1151 instead of the Econ1201 if i wanna to be major in actuarial studies ... my concern is ..what if i decide not to take actuarial studies after the first year , and only want to take accounting as my major ??does it affect anything ??? (for accouting , econ1201 is a must take module)

Thanks !!
What do you intend to do for your electives? If you're gonna do more actuarial courses in first year and then decide to quit, I think you can get them counted as options but if not, then it will take you a little longer to graduate.

As for accounting, you're like everyone else in that you have to spend first-year doing 1A and 1B and its not until 2nd year that you then continue with the required acct courses and actually have done the prerequisites to be able to do further option courses for the major. Put simply, you won't be able to do any acct electives until 2nd year.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
thanks for your reply!!

Here is the what i found in the year handbook

"Program Structure
Studies leading to the award of the Bachelor of Commerce degree normally consist of 144 units of credit (24 courses) to be completed over a period of three academic years.

The program consists of six Core Courses (36 units of credit) as listed below
Note: Actuarial Studies students should refer to the relevant plan page for core course requirements."
Core Course List
Students wishing to complete a major in Actuarial Studies should complete
instead of ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A and ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B"

from the handbook, it means that if i want to be major in Actual studies, i have to do MATH1151 and MATH1251 to replace for Econ1202 and Econ1203...(both of these two modules will be completed in the first year)

however, my concern is what if i decide not to do actuarial studies anymore after the first year and only want to be major in accounting ??in this case , i dont have the two econ1202 and econ1203 modules. If do , do i have to retake the two modules in order to meet the graduation requirements ??

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
oh , and there is one more question . as for doing accounting , i noted that we have to do some extra modules in order to be eligible for the CA programme (5 extra modules)... but if i m doing double major, the electives that i can do is only 12 uoc ( 2 modules ) , then where on the earth i m given the time to do the 3 more extra modules ?? do i enrol in non-award class ?? or do i attend summer school? or can i take extra uoc in a sem ?? ( but the max is only 24 ??) thanks !!!for help !!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
however, my concern is what if i decide not to do actuarial studies anymore after the first year and only want to be major in accounting ??in this case , i dont have the two econ1202 and econ1203 modules. If do , do i have to retake the two modules in order to meet the graduation requirements ??
I really don't think so. I'm quite certain that your actuarial courses will be counted instead of you having to do econ1202/1203. The thing is, some other com people who do combined degrees with science/engineering instead do their own maths courses as opposed to econ1202/1203. As for you, these actuarial courses are quite harder and by completing them, will be a sufficient substitute for QMA/QMB.

I Robot

HSC
movie hunter said:

Thanks !!
If you choose to do MATH1151 and MATH1251 in 1st year, and you opt to not continue with Actuarial Studies Major in 2nd year, then you must complete ECON1203 (which is absolute minimum 6 units of statistics required).
The reason is that ACTL2002 is the statistics course which you complete for Actuarial Studies.

Hope that helps

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
I said:
If you choose to do MATH1151 and MATH1251 in 1st year, and you opt to not continue with Actuarial Studies Major in 2nd year, then you must complete ECON1203 (which is absolute minimum 6 units of statistics required).
The reason is that ACTL2002 is the statistics course which you complete for Actuarial Studies.

Hope that helps

why do i need to need to take econ1203 ?what does it to do with actl2002??econ1203 is considered one statistic course??

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
why do i need to need to take econ1203 ?what does it to do with actl2002??econ1203 is considered one statistic course??
Read the previous post. The actuarial course that would substitute econ1203 is not even available to you until 2nd year and if thats the case, you wouldnt do it if you dropped out.

Since you need to do a stats course and you dropped out of actuarial, you'd have to do econ1203 being as its now one of your core courses for an ordinary commerce degree.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
tallkid34 said:
Read the previous post. The actuarial course that would substitute econ1203 is not even available to you until 2nd year and if thats the case, you wouldnt do it if you dropped out.

Since you need to do a stats course and you dropped out of actuarial, you'd have to do econ1203 being as its now one of your core courses for an ordinary commerce degree.

the 2 core modules are econ1202 and econ1203 , but as a actuarial major , i need to do Math1511 and math1251 to substitute them ( all these modules are to be taken in the first year), if i decided to drop actuarial in the 2nd year , i have to take econ1203 even though i have math1251 ?? isnt math1251 is a module which can substitute econ1203 ??can math1511 can substitute for econ1202 then ?

thankks !!

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
i sort of get it now ... let me clarify again !

if i drop out from actuarial studies in the 2nd year:

math1511 can substitute for econ1202 (means i dont need to take econ1202)
math1251 cannot substitute for econ1203( means i need to take econ1203 in my 2nd year because it is a statistic module)

but isnt econ1202 a statistic module too ??

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
i sort of get it now ... let me clarify again !

if i drop out from actuarial studies in the 2nd year:

math1511 can substitute for econ1202 (means i dont need to take econ1202)
math1251 cannot substitute for econ1203( means i need to take econ1203 in my 2nd year because it is a statistic module)

but isnt econ1202 a statistic module too ??
Look, if you drop out of actuarial first year, then you have to do econ1203.

Econ1202 is probably a somewhat easier version of your first year actuarial maths course so there is no need to have to go back and do an easier version of what you've already passed.

Econ1203 is completely different from Econ1202. It's all mostly stats as opposed to econ1202 which is a combination of calculus, financial maths and a few other things. You wouldnt have done it in your actuarial so you'll need do it for an ordinary com degree. You're not special either because engineering kids who decide to switch to com after first year have to do it too.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
Quantitative Methods A - ECON1202

Faculty: Australian School of Business
School: School of Economics
Course Outline: ECON1202 Course Outline
Campus: Kensington Campus
Career: Undergraduate
Units of Credit: 6
EFTSL: 0.12500 (more info)
Indicative Contact Hours per Week: 3
Equivalent: ECON2291
Excluded: ECON2291, MATH1011, MATH1031, MATH1131, MATH1141, MATH1151
Fee Band: 3 (more info)
Further Information: See Class Timetable

that is what i found out about econ1202 , it says"math1151 is an exclusion " , which means the students would be excluded from taking econ1202 if they have taken math1151??

so if i decided to drop actuarial studies in the 2nd year , i would have to find extra time to take econ1203, can my UOC exceed 24 per semester ? do the school allow me to do so ?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
Quantitative Methods A - ECON1202

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/images/col2/tlCorner.gif
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/images/col2/trCorner.gif Faculty: Australian School of Business
School: School of Economics
Course Outline: ECON1202 Course Outline
Campus: Kensington Campus
Career: Undergraduate
Units of Credit: 6
EFTSL: 0.12500 (more info)
Indicative Contact Hours per Week: 3
Equivalent: ECON2291
Excluded: ECON2291, MATH1011, MATH1031, MATH1131, MATH1141, MATH1151
Fee Band: 3 (more info)
Further Information: See Class Timetable

that is what i found out about econ1202 , it says"math1151 is an exclusion " , which means the students would be excluded from taking econ1202 if they have taken math1151??

so if i decided to drop actuarial studies in the 2nd year , i would have to find extra time to take econ1203, can my UOC exceed 24 per semester ? do the school allow me to do so ?
What you're referring to is overloading and for your case, they wont allow you to overload as a first year student. Only final year students (i think penultimate year students too...) with decent marks get permission to overload so its not an option for you just yet.

You can just do econ1203 in 2nd year by the looks of it at anytime (semester 1, 2 and its also available in summer school).

I think we've dragged this thread on way too long so I HOPE NOW you know what your options are...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)