• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Actuarial Studies at Mac or UNSW (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
flyin' said:
As a tutor said last semester, "You don't do Actuarial Studies to pick up. Look around the classroom." No more needs to be said. =p
hahaha i wonder why he said that....it's not like anyone in the class could pick up anyway.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
... said:
redrum, any chance these talents start hanging around the comp labs? ;)
i'll just come to the comp labs then, they do tend to swarm around me for some reason. :D

hahah flyin', funny that YOUR tutor said that! j/k :p

mr phil

HSC
mac or unsw

trust wilbae to ask about the chicks! haha

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yeah, the classroom wasn't a pleasant sight at all =p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
flyin' said:
good pay job (i dunno how you define good =p), career platform (depends on the individual of course, but not as good a platform nevertheless =D), social life (unforuntately you'll have one.. but at wot later cost :cool:)
i'd rather have my sanity, thank you very much :p

bladenia

HSC
N/A
mr phil said:
trust wilbae to ask about the chicks! haha
lol shuddup phil......
um thx u all for your valuable.... input.....

As about the double major and double degrees, whats the difference? do employers favour one over the other? Campus better at MAC? huh? well i jsut gotta see 2moro cause it appeared to be pretty bleak the last time i went for an actuarial lecture intro thingy.

I also hear from one of the students, i think she was in fourth yr that unsw and mac act students regularly get together for outings, true?

oh just from interest...... does any1 know whether what job outlook says about actuaries is true? 9% unemployed is quite painful to read.

The president of actuaries of australia or sumthing like that kept emphasising how it is a very well paid job and good job prospects cause there are only like 1200 fellows in aus. Oh and how many of u graduates actually get properly qualified as a Fellow???

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Minai said:
*looks at minai's av* :uhhuh:

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
bladenia said:
Campus better at MAC? huh? well i jsut gotta see 2moro cause it appeared to be pretty bleak the last time i went for an actuarial lecture intro thingy.
if you're looking at the grey buildings mac loses by a mile, if you're looking at the small size, possibly the green and the lake! then mac has a chance

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I dunno about Actuarials from UNSW and Macq getting together for "outtings". They were prolly friends beforehand?

9% unemployment prolly arises from people have poor grades and/or lack of communication/interview skills or personality. You can "graduate" Actuarial with poor grades (you can "Pass" everything but when you need Credits, Pass isn't much good), and screw up the statistics. And also if you speak no good Engrish den you dun get job likely.

Minai said:
Sanity is overrated (unless you do Actuarial at Macq...)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
Well as for 'good' grades then, what level do u reckon wuld this be?

do u need to be like an olympiad champion or sumthin like prizes and hd in the yearly westpac maths comp is enuff? how about 4u maths, what did most of u act distinction students get????

perhaps u can even give me a raw mark of those practice exams u took so i can have sumthin to compare it against as i study now......

thanks thanks

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
marks in those olympiads and westpac maths competitions don't mean anything

4u wise, everyone is expected or best to have got over 90/100 in both 3u & 4u hsc

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Good grades are basically at least Credits/Distinctions in everything (so you don't have to do anything again). Really good grades are like at least Distinctions/High Distinctions in everything (which is not easy).

Most people are recommended to get at least 90 plus in Ext1/2. But from what I've seen you should at least get 95 in Ext1, and at least a little above 90 for Ext2. But having said that, Ext1/2 don't count for much.

And what redalert posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)