Actuarial Studies/Applied Finance at Mac Uni (1 Viewer)

majan

HSC
Hi guys, ok now i have planned to do the above degree at Mac (beginning in 2008) and yes I have read all the posts about Actuarial Studies in dis forum but jst one last q lol....ok say i get through dis degree and actually manage to get it with all da exemptions and crap....wat r my chances of obtaining a job within 4 months of graduating???

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
there was a debate in the other thread recently.

I'd say you have a damn good chance of getting some kind of job quite quickly, assuming Cr+ adverage, and a good job too...

In terms of actuarial jobs out there, purely, dont know how much is out there in Australia.

majan

HSC
ok im not tryin to be offensive to this dude or anything but dis guy called flyin goes in answer to a question bout job prospects of actuaries:

What kind of demand is there for actuaries? i.e. how hard is it to find a job upon completion of the course?
Well, if you manage to make it through the course, and you have some social skills ... It would be hard not to be able to chose your own company ... instead of findin' one ...

I hope this helps ... I might type more, if I have more time!

but then on another thread says dis on da same topic:

why do they never mention employed-to-unemployed ratios? =p

(hypothetically:

you have 2 actl graduates who earn 50,000 and 45,000 a year fresh out. however, you have 8 actl graduates who earn 0 a year because they're unemployed.

that means an average of 47,500 a year because you'd only get those 2 responding to the survey. whereas the other 8 wouldn't.

it all sounds good and well.)

so hahhaa wat is da truth....?!?!?!?!?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For pete's sake, use English not this perverted asian speak you're using. I just lost several million brain cells trying to decipher your severely inane spouting.

majan

HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....didn't know you had to use proper english in forums...geeeeez...you uni people sure get angry quick

Last edited:
HSC
If you write in English it is much easier to read and people will take your posts more seriously, especially when you are asking for help as you are now.

majan

HSC
hey guys...i just got my uai yesterday..98.95...am i guranteed a place in actuarial studies applied finance now??...also will i be one of the dumbest doing the course or has it changed since the old days where most people that did the course got 99+??

Last edited:

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
majan said:
hey guys...i just got my uai yesterday..98.95...am i guranteed a place in actuarial studies applied finance now??...also will i be one of the dumbest doing the course or has it changed since the old days where most people that did the course got 99+??
Congrats on getting that UAI.

Your UAI isn't an indication of how smart you are. I know of a few people in ACST that got 98+ and have had to drop out of the course since they were failing, whilst people who just scrapped into the course are now getting Ds and HDs. So its all about the effort you put in and if you enjoy the work.

Ans yes you'll get into the course (unless there is a HUGE increase in demand, which isn't going to happen)

hello2004

hey guys...i just got my uai yesterday..98.95...am i guranteed a place in actuarial studies applied finance now??
Yes.

...also will i be one of the dumbest doing the course or has it changed since the old days where most people that did the course got 99+??
I'm sorry to say, but the UAI means shit all from the day you begin.

There will be guys who got a lower UAI who will beat you. And there are guys who got above 99 who you will beat.

xclo

HSC
if u go to macquarie, u'll never find a job... nah kidding. but it seems most actuary graduates go into other sectors such as super, finance, investment banking etc. some of the senior actuary ppl i know told me that firms actually have a hard time recruiting graduates because the pass rate is so low, but finding a job after graduating with a d or hd average shouldn't be any trouble.

majan

HSC
I've heard someone tell me this before, but do people from various businesses really come to uni and offer future contracts for macquarie actuarial studies students?

majan

HSC
lol ur such a pessimist flyin..always sayin its hard to get a job...haha...jkes...nah like im not too worried about the study commitments needed for actuarial studies...i'm just scared about the employment rate for graduates..dats all..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you've done well in uni studies, and can exhibit good communication skills as to pass the interview phases, there isn't much else you can personally do to get hired.

People have to get over this assumption shit is going to be laid out for them once they finish a degree.

majan

HSC
40/53 actuarial graduates in 2006 frm mac gained full time employment...:D:D:D.....woot makes me feel better...

majan

HSC
lol like i messaged the actuarial department at mac and this lecturer replied...

"The survey of 2006 graduates, carried out early in January 2007, showed that 40 out of the 53 who wanted full-time employment had obtained it. Since the data comes from an anonymous survey, we don't have this data subdivided by student results, but my guess would be that those still seeking full-time work would predominantly be those who did not manage to complete their degree in the normal time, plus maybe a few who did complete in the normal time but with low grades."

(We don't yet have data from the 2007 graduates.)

Jim Farmer.

yea i have no idea why the graduate amount was so low...prob didnt survey the rest lolz...

Last edited:

majan

HSC
yea i will be doing actuarial/applied finance at mac uni...thats my first choice since i totally forgot to apply for co-op...n flyin since u graduated im taking u found full time employment...how long did it take you??

majan

HSC
umm since im in 1st yr is it jst best to follow the recommended program for actuarial/applied finance or if not wat subjects should i take up..thnx...

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
majan said:
umm since im in 1st yr is it jst best to follow the recommended program for actuarial/applied finance or if not wat subjects should i take up..thnx...
Yeah follow the recommended program, for all 4 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)