Actuarial Studies advice (1 Viewer)

InvisibleMe

HSC
im doing Bcom/arts....ive been considering actuarial studies but i dont know whether its right for me. How good is good at maths ext2? i got 84...=[ and i'l be honest i did struggle abit through it.

how hard is actuarial studies? i am interested in maths but uncertain if this is the path i would like to take...hearing thats its very demanding and stressful. also esp when i also want to study chinese under the BArts. is it wise though with this kind of combined degree?

Is it good to give it a go ? or im just afraid i might fail miserably then wat options would be left to take? does that mean i fail Bcom? o_O

i need some major advice. i have to make a decision asap seeing as first yr maths is diff in Bcom for actuarial studies. thanks in advance.

ks21

HSC
You could always just do the actuarial maths and see from there if u like it or not. MATH1151 replaces QMA (ECON????). If you decide not to do an actuarial major they wont make u do QMA (as MATH1151 is sufficient).

Btw, Chinese + Actuarial Studies = good money, lol

Affinity

HSC
try and see how you go. Don't worry too much at this point, do Accounting, Econmics, Maths + your art subject for this semester.

Btw, Chinese + Actuarial studies is not good money... you won't have any advantage over native chinese. Only take it if you like it.

Last edited:
HSC
Yeah im thinking about actuarial studies too...but im probably being unrealistic
How hard is it? I did shit in ex2 but thats because i never did the homework. I never bothered learning mechanics or the harder 3u....but i imagine the maths involved would be integration and rates of change sort of thing...is that right?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
probably not. lots of people who got 180+ still struggle badly with math1151. at the first lecture last year tacon told us all 'this is the hardest first year undergrad maths course in australia'.

Affinity

HSC
IMHO it depends on how the person got their 180.

emin3m26

HSC
I've just enrolled in UNSW's BCom/BSc (actd/math).
Really wanna know where I can find "work experience in a financial services company, preferably in an actuarial graduate role"?

I need it to meet the requirement to be permitted to enrol in the Part II courses in my 4th year.
Can anyone give me some ideas/advice?

Thanks a lot.

ks21

HSC
Well, your best bet is to send your resumes to small actuarial firms and offer them your services for free.

milton

HSC
blackfriday said:
probably not. lots of people who got 180+ still struggle badly with math1151. at the first lecture last year tacon told us all 'this is the hardest first year undergrad maths course in australia'.
no shit.

the calculus section should itself be worth at least 6 units.
it's not "hard" in the sense of being difficult, the level of difficultly is similar to 4u but the pace is waay too fast. in a 2hr lecture, they would cover what probably took 2 weeks in the classroom

but it's quite ironic that at the moment, that right now we're learning limits and differentiation which is yr 11 material, but we actually learn it "properly"

you won't appreciate how lax high school maths is until you do math1151

btw, i'm wondering, how many ppl drop out of actuarial by the end of the yr, blackfriday?

schmeichung

HSC
1st year enrolled into maths, or actl1001 ~ 200ppl?
this year actl3001,actl3002 ~110ppl
u may assume ~50% drop out rate in 2 years time? sure this is not an accurate answer but rough image of it

implicity

HSC
In 2006, we had ~ 173 doing math1151, and it dropped to ~ 140 in math1251.

And it's not that hard if you do the work :) It helps if you enjoy doing maths too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)