Actuarial/Law (1 Viewer)

jaychouf4n

HSC
Is it worth it? I hear that 3rd year is basically impossible, and it means that you basically have no social life. Though because it has a focus on Mathematics, it makes it very attractive for me.

My other option would be the standard Finance/Law at UNSW, though because Finance has less of a focus on Maths this is less attractive for me.

Another option would be Financial Mathematics/Law At Usyd. The problem is that I have a 99.5 ATAR, and last year's cut off was 99.55, so I might not be able to get in. And also, most of my friends won't be at Usyd -.-

My marks were as follows
Eng (adv):89
Math 3u: 98
Math 4u: 95
Phys: 95
Chem: 92

So which of these options would be best for me? I wouldn't mind being an Actuary, and then move into management. But then again, being an investment Banker would also be interesting for me :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Is it worth it? I hear that 3rd year is basically impossible, and it means that you basically have no social life. Though because it has a focus on Mathematics, it makes it very attractive for me.

My other option would be the standard Finance/Law at UNSW, though because Finance has less of a focus on Maths this is less attractive for me.

Another option would be Financial Mathematics/Law At Usyd. The problem is that I have a 99.5 ATAR, and last year's cut off was 99.55, so I might not be able to get in. And also, most of my friends won't be at Usyd -.-

My marks were as follows
Eng (adv):89
Math 3u: 98
Math 4u: 95
Phys: 95
Chem: 92

So which of these options would be best for me? I wouldn't mind being an Actuary, and then move into management. But then again, being an investment Banker would also be interesting for me :)
High-five for 3 unit maths! But I beat you in 4 unit :p

But anyway, I am considering the same course as you.

I have heard that such combination (Law + Actuarial) is being undertaken by many academically gifted + hard-working students and they are coping it well.

However, for MOST students, such combination can only disintegrate into a social-life killer or even suicide. :spin:

I am thinking like crazy whether I should do that combination or not because I have heard from many people that I would make a good solicitor, barrister or judge and they also said that law degree may intrigue me. Besides, even though I want to be an actuary, there is still a chance that I won't become one. BESIDES, I also wanted to work for UN...so I am not sure if doing actuarial studies would be of benefit if I DO decide to work for UN.

Last edited:

jaychouf4n

HSC
Congrats :p I hear that you did really well, so congrats with your ATAR :D

I know, I don't want to socially suicide T_T I've enjoyed myself SOOOO MUCH these holidays, I can't let it go XD

Haha, we'll see :) Maybe we'll be in the same course in the end, as law buddies XP

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Congrats :p I hear that you did really well, so congrats with your ATAR :D

I know, I don't want to socially suicide T_T I've enjoyed myself SOOOO MUCH these holidays, I can't let it go XD

Haha, we'll see :) Maybe we'll be in the same course in the end, as law buddies XP
Thx man.

But on the social aspect of Uni, I agree. I don't want to become some socially retarded kid for the sake of studying for law + actuarial. Besides, I won't even be able to guarantee that I will succeed either.

I just looked through UNSW Handbook and it says Law + Actuarial is 5 years (combined) and that's LONG. Actuarial + something else is just 4 Years and if you have your eye set on becoming an actuary, actuarial + law is probably not the best course. I reckon the people who do actuarial + law are actually interested in law and they probably do actuarial as back-up (That's my guess).

IMHO, pros of actuarial + law:
- 2 excellent degrees

cons of actuarial + law:
- it's known as a "social life killer" or even "suicide" lol
- too long if you just want to be an actuary
- those two degrees hardly complement each other
- only one major from commerce...=(((

scora

HSC
i think taking both actuarial + law is a bit of a waste, if ur looking to get a job as an actuary sure the law degree might look good on your resume but that's all it'll do (is it worth the extra year or so?)

Also, looking for a job as a lawyer, how would having completed actuarial studies at uni help? But, if you are dead set on doing the two, then by all means do it; although, the workload will kill you.

my 2c

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i think taking both actuarial + law is a bit of a waste, if ur looking to get a job as an actuary sure the law degree might look good on your resume but that's all it'll do (is it worth the extra year or so?)

Also, looking for a job as a lawyer, how would having completed actuarial studies at uni help? But, if you are dead set on doing the two, then by all means do it; although, the workload will kill you.

my 2c
Good point.

jaychouf4n

HSC

my 2c
Yeah that's what I thought. So I'm leaning towards Finance as the comm major atm. Though my mum is REALLY into me going to USYD because she thinks it's like a prerequisite for becoming a CEO -.- I want to go to UNSW because there's going to be more of my friends there, I don't think I'll have as much fun in USYD ><

h3ll h0und

HSC
what is the difference between choosing to do finance major or actuarial major? as in, what different careers do they lead to?

jaychouf4n

HSC
what is the difference between choosing to do finance major or actuarial major? as in, what different careers do they lead to?
Actuarial is a lot more quantative than finance, and so it leads into a lot more technical fields. You become an actuary or an analyst etc. So you need strong logic and a love of maths. Finance leads more to Investment banking so it's far less mathematical.

Misyndo

HSC
cons of actuarial + law:
- too long if you just want to be an actuary
To be an actuary you'll need to pass through all 3 exemptions so even if you don't do the combined actuary/law program, you still won't be an actuary by the 5th year if you did a normal combined actuary/other program which finishes in the 4th year.

I remember reading somewhere that if you do the combined actuary/law program then that exempts you from part 1 and 2 of the actuary requirement.

But if you do combined actuary/other you only get to finish part 1 and not part 2 of the requirement (unless you take up extra credit during the summer holidays or something like that).

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
To be an actuary you'll need to pass through all 3 exemptions so even if you don't do the combined actuary/law program, you still won't be an actuary by the 5th year if you did a normal combined actuary/other program which finishes in the 4th year.

I remember reading somewhere that if you do the combined actuary/law program then that exempts you from part 1 and 2 of the actuary requirement.

But if you do combined actuary/other you only get to finish part 1 and not part 2 of the requirement (unless you take up extra credit during the summer holidays or something like that).
Not at Macquarie.

cyl123

HSC
Not at UNSW.

akqjt

HSC
Do you want to be a lawyer? If not I think doing actuarial/finance would be a better choice. It's a shorter degree and you can always do honours in Finance if you want to go for that extra prestige.

Either way, which ever degree you choose, try and get a minimum 80 average in your non law/actuarial subjects and a 70 average otherwise. Just my observations on the academic expectations of double degree kids (no you don't need a HD average overall).

Misyndo

HSC
I must have been reading the ANU booklet then. Ignore the previous post then.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Law work is getting outsoursed along with everything else so I'd stick to just maths - actuarial qualification isn't really worth it in terms of oppurtunity cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)