Actuarial External Exams (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hey. I'm considering getting some of my exemptions by sitting the external exams held by the IAA. I was wondering what was the difference between the university exams and the external exams in terms of difficulty, workload, etc? Btw, although the IAA curriculum for Part 1 is the same as that for the IA in the UK, do you think it would be possible to sit for the Part 1 (Core Technical CT) equivalent external exams from the SOA and then seek recognition? I am considering this option as it may be less expensive to due to the exchange rate >< and also because the SOA exams appear a lot easier than the IA CT exams.

Thanks!

Affinity

HSC
It would be some hassle to do some from IoA and some from SoA. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone as hard working and focused as you :D, I've heard about people who passed SOA part 1 and part 2 in two years. ... and another tihing.. you would have to go out of Australia to do the SOA exams... so it might not be worth it after all.

And.. thought you shoved actuarial studies to the back of your mind :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Out of interest for those wanting to sit the Spring SOA Exams

Sydney, Australia Courses 1-4, 6, EA-1, EA-2B: Patrick Chan, AMP Life Limited, 33 Alfred Street, report to level 1 for more details,
phone: 612 9257-7935, e-mail: patrick_chan@amp.com.au

Affinity, this coming from sum1 who carries a calculus bible around with him all the time? moving on to real analysis now? :D
i wanna get exemptions at my own pace...thats y im considering SOA exams:D...as uni is meant 2 b enjoyed!

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
§eraphim said:
:D...as uni is meant 2 b enjoyed!
What a revelation...
and excuse me..
There are people who don't find learning as a punishment

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
What a revelation...
and excuse me..
There are people who don't find learning as a punishment
anything enjoyable is done at ur own pace

maniacguy

Quite so. Sadly the uni pace is simply too slow for most of the learning to be enjoyable :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
maniacguy said:
Quite so. Sadly the uni pace is simply too slow for most of the learning to be enjoyable :D
you overload, and you still can't get enough!

maniacguy

Minai said:
you overload, and you still can't get enough!
I actually meant that's *WHY* I'm overloading. Just at the moment I'm convinced it's quite enough!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
im thinking of sitting the IA external CT exams (part 1) in the summer holidays. is that a good idea? i am thinking of taking that after my maths subjects which would provide a good foundation.

CrashOveride

HSC
Seraphim: I thought you wanted to get into Quant analysis...why are you after actuarial exemptions ?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
im keeping my options open. anywayz, im tryin to think of it as summer school without the lectures or tutes:D

ramanij

can someone plz explain the process of being a professional actuary step by step
cheers

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
http://www.actuary.mq.edu.au/profession/exams.shtml

umm its essentially the same for nsw

EDIT: also have a look at this site http://www2.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/ser...utInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_UG_Actuarial

essentially to become a professional actuary (i.e FIAA- fellow of the Institute of Actuaries Australia) u must complete their 3 parts...at uni u can be completely exempted from part 1 and part 2(if u do honours or a double degree)...part 3 is completed externally via the institute and there is a professionalism course to b attended after part 3

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
it would make more sense, since you're in australia, to do part 1 with the institute.

ive heard that people who do it externally do it at their own pace with less pressure as fails aren't recorded just passes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)