Activism in regards to the Gaza question (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Stop The Siege On Gaza

[Please moderators keep this thread seperate to the discussion on the Israel-Gaza conflict as it progresses as it serves a different purpose.]

I implore all members of this fine forum in good conscience to send a letter to your member of parliament. If you don't have the courage to call them and ask in the name of your community to make a statement condemning the actions of Israel in regards to the people of Gaza.

Ask for your member of parliament to condemn the following.

- Targeting of civilian infrastructure by Israel
- 18 month blockade on basic neccesities to life from entering Gaza
- Massacre of women and children
- Blockade of medical treatment and equipment
- Censorship of media and not allowing foreign journalists from entering Gaza to see the atrocities being commited and more

These injustices will not only ensure there will never be peace, but moreso it will only serve to radicalise a generation of young muslims. This must be stopped.

Write to your MP, write to Steven Smith, heck write to anyone you can. Let it be known that we do not support this atrocity.

If anyone has any suggestions to what else we can do please post here.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
John Oliver said:
Letters to MP's won't work Sam, neither will protests. Not enough people give a shit and there is such a gulf in the community regarding arab relations.
I know that. But atleast I want to know that I did whatever I could, as little as it might be to show my disapproval of what's happening in Gaza.

I was satisfied with Kevin Rudd's response which called for an immediate cease-fire and for Israel to honour it's international obligations. There's not much more our country can do in regards to this, but still I will continue condemning it in every venue I can.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
brogan77 said:
why should i care about moon coons blowing up shylocks anymore than i care about african warlords carving up their fellow monkeys or heart disease claiming countless lives in western civilization or peak oil or global warming or what dvd to watch next
I can't tell you what to care about. But if you do care about it instead of silently raging at what's happening, make your voice heard.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Activism on this issue is useless because opinion is so polarised.

This is not an issue which most people don't care/know about which you can raise awareness of.

This is an issue which most people just plain don't agree with you on - something protests are unlikely to change.

Egypt is the only Arab nation with half a grain of common sense. The rest of you lot call for your unilateral ceasefires from Israel and whatnot but totally ignore Hamas and in doing so silently affirm their actions. At least Egypt is asking for a ceasefire so they can send in a peacekeeping force.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
Ignorant ranting
No, just no. The international community has called for the same as what I have. That means most people agree with me on this issue. That there should be an immediate cease-fire, and that Israel should end it's blockade. Even the U.S didn't veto the resolution which recently passed asking for the same thing. Infact, so did the Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

As usual you have no idea what you're on about. Also the media has done a very good job at informing the people about this affair, especially as of late. So it's not as though you're the only informed person. Infact quite the contrary, you are the uninformed person.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
No, just no. The international community has called for the same as what I have. That means most people agree with me on this issue.
No, it means 3,000 people or so from each country have had a little bitch about it in the street and that a token representative at the UN from a bunch of random countries country has blindly signed whatever one-sided resolution the Arabs have proposed.

It's absolutely ludicrous to assert that international opinion supports Hamas terrorists because the anti-Israel groups yell the loudest, but I probably shouldn't expect common sense from you.

m00

HSC
Trefoil said:
No, it means 3,000 people or so from each country have had a little bitch about it in the street and that a token representative at the UN from a bunch of random countries country has blindly signed whatever one-sided resolution the Arabs have proposed.

It's absolutely ludicrous to assert that international opinion supports Hamas terrorists because the anti-Israel groups yell the loudest, but I probably shouldn't expect common sense from you.
you're just mad that the majority of the worlds population are not as easily blinded by propoganda

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
Stop The Siege On Gaza
You can't stop the Israel-Palestine conflict when you can't even stop the fighting in this thread. The fighting will go on.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
You can't stop the Israel-Palestine conflict when you can't even stop the fighting in this thread. The fighting will go on.
Is that a challenge? Lets see if I can't try to do that.

No, it means 3,000 people or so from each country
Can we atleast agree that many times that number of people have protested in Britain? And that it has had an effect on the international community?

a bunch of random countries country has blindly signed whatever one-sided resolution the Arabs have proposed.
Can we agree that asking for a cease-fire from both parties including the rockets fired from Hamas is not one-sided?

It's absolutely ludicrous to assert that international opinion supports Hamas
Can we agree that atleast there is something that asserts that people support Gaza based on the resolution? As opposed to your statement that most people don't agree with me?

but I probably shouldn't expect common sense from you.
Can we agree that regardless of who you think is at fault for starting this that violence will not solve it? Can we agree that starving innocent civilians will not solve this? Can we agree with the U.N resolution that an immediate and durable cease-fire is the first step to a lasting peace?

Lets find things we can agree on.

Lentern

HSC
sam04u said:
Stop The Siege On Gaza

[Please moderators keep this thread seperate to the discussion on the Israel-Gaza conflict as it progresses as it serves a different purpose.]

I implore all members of this fine forum in good conscience to send a letter to your member of parliament. If you don't have the courage to call them and ask in the name of your community to make a statement condemning the actions of Israel in regards to the people of Gaza.

Ask for your member of parliament to condemn the following.

- Targeting of civilian infrastructure by Israel
- 18 month blockade on basic neccesities to life from entering Gaza
- Massacre of women and children
- Blockade of medical treatment and equipment
- Censorship of media and not allowing foreign journalists from entering Gaza to see the atrocities being commited and more

These injustices will not only ensure there will never be peace, but moreso it will only serve to radicalise a generation of young muslims. This must be stopped.

Write to your MP, write to Steven Smith, heck write to anyone you can. Let it be known that we do not support this atrocity.

If anyone has any suggestions to what else we can do please post here.
Before you issue your requests to Kevin, Smithy, your local MP, your ambassador to the UN and anybody else you intend to lobby might I suggest you add to your list of demands
-Condemn Hamas for incessantly firing upon Israel, in doing so putting at risk the lives of innocent Israeli's and drawing Palestinian citizens into a dangerous conflict with a state many times there size.
-Condemn Syria for providing support and refgue to prominent Hamas members.
-Condemn Jordan for having it's head in the bloody clouds.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lentern said:
Before you issue your requests to Kevin, Smithy, your local MP, your ambassador to the UN and anybody else you intend to lobby might I suggest you add to your list of demands
-Condemn Hamas for incessantly firing upon Israel, in doing so putting at risk the lives of innocent Israeli's and drawing Palestinian citizens into a dangerous conflict with a state many times there size.
-Condemn Syria for providing support and refgue to prominent Hamas members.
-Condemn Jordan for having it's head in the bloody clouds.
Lentern your first point is especially relevant. Hamas using their ineffectual weaponry have even killed innocent Palestinians due to their utter incapacity to target anything. Rather they tend to aim in a general direction and hope for a hit. So yes, I would always include a cease-fire from both sides as being absolutely neccessary. Your other points however assumes that we should not recognise Hamas as the legitimate government of Gaza and so that will only undermine the Gazans and ensure that there wont be a peaceful resolution, so we'll take that out of the equation. Would that be fine with you?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
I don't even know who my MP is. & who the heck is Steven Smith.

0o
Find out online or I can find out for you.

Steven Smith is the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Lentern

HSC
sam04u said:
Lentern your first point is especially relevant. Hamas using their ineffectual weaponry have even killed innocent Palestinians due to their utter incapacity to target anything. Rather they tend to aim in a general direction and hope for a hit. So yes, I would always include a cease-fire from both sides as being absolutely neccessary. Your other points however assumes that we should not recognise Hamas as the legitimate government of Gaza and so that will only undermine the Gazans and ensure that there wont be a peaceful resolution, so we'll take that out of the equation. Would that be fine with you?
I must missunderstand what you say seems frightfully close to saying we won't bother condemning them for attempting to do malicious, dangerous things because most of the time they don't have the skill to pull them off. Secondly how on earth can you say that we should condemn what Israel is doing but we shouldn't condemn Syria for openly supporting Hamas. There is a strong difference between resourcing Hamas and merely recognising them. I am pretty sure we recognise Robert Mugabe, doesn't mean we should be giving him guns.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lentern said:
I must misunderstand what you say seems frightfully close to saying we won't bother condemning them for attempting to do malicious, dangerous things because most of the time they don't have the skill to pull them off.
Not at all. We should openly condemn Hamas for attacking civilian targets proportionally to the damage they have caused. That should be fair. But what's more important than just a condemnation is an agreement that it should stop immediately.

for openly supporting Hamas.
In good conscience we shouldn't condemn uninvolved parties where there is no evidence to support such claims. Until now analysts have confirmed that the Hamas rockets were made in Gaza using such materials as fertiliser and other materials commonly found therein. That has been confirmed by Israeli intelligence. If it can be proved that Syria helped in some way they should be condemned. By the same token in fairness, the United States should be condemned for arming Israel. Israel would by extension also be condemned for it's use of incendiary weapons on civilian targets.

All that can be included to the OP as soon as we both can agree.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
sam04u said:
I was satisfied with Kevin Rudd's response which called for an immediate cease-fire and for Israel to honour it's international obligations. There's not much more our country can do in regards to this, but still I will continue condemning it in every venue I can.
So what more do you hope to achieve by bothering our gallant MPs? Are you accusing our government of complicity, or are you congratulating them on their condemnation?

This is unnecessary

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
So what more do you hope to achieve by bothering our gallant MPs?
Well for starters possibly a deterioration in relations with Israel due to it's utter disregard of the international community. I mean why should we continue to treat a state so seriously that doesn't even care what we think? And secondly, a repeated call for justice.

Are you accusing our government of complicity?
Not at all. But you do have to recognise that on Israel's 60th anniversary Kevin Rudd did not find time in his congratulation of Israel to provide a more even-handed response to the situation. Perhaps in the future we can aim for a more neutral position in regards to the situation, or one which more openly calls for peace.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
By all means, convince yourself that this will go some way in helping the people of Gaza

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)