acrylic nails or gel nails...what is better? (1 Viewer)

xoxo

HSC
well im thinking of getting some coz my nails are absolutely gross at the moment...so what would be better to get? is there a difference in quality/look/price? and how much approx would they be?
thanx

Lori.

HSC
I've only ever had acrylics, the french-tip ones. They stick a white plastic extension on your nails and then paint the acrylic on top. I think if you get gel nails, then they only stick a clear extension on your nails, but they still paint the same acrylic stuff on top ?? With the clear ones you pretty much have to always have a colour over the top, but with the french tips, you can wear them as is.
Yeah, i know I dont really know the answer lol but i'd suggest going for the french tips, they don't cost much more than gel. The cost can be between $40 and $80, depending on where you go.
Stay clear of American Nails, because apparently they are one of those places that pay their staff like $2 an hour and you'll get crap service. Also stay clear of any place that has more seats for their customers than staff, because chance is that they keep admitting customers and the staff rotate and work on several people at a time, and then mess up your nails! Its better to go to a hairdressers or beauty salon that is a bit quieter and more professional. The acrylics last for a while, so you don't want to have anyone mess them up!
I hope that helped, good luck!

katykins

i never meant to lie,
in a bulletproof vest, with the windows all closed
HSC
acrylics last longer, gels are healthier for your nails cause they let them breathe. as for price, its more expensive to get them done at a beautician than one of those asian sweatshops, but they do look much nicer and its more relaxing at a beauticians cause they spend more time on you and arent fussed about 15 other people each

Skeeta

HSC
i had gel nails with white extensions.

The gel is better for your nails, however it isnt as "tough" and doesnt last as long as the acrylic nails. You can get white tips, colours etc. with either

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
i'm terrified of getting acrylics/gels because i heard your nails are horrible and soft once you take them off. i'm a bit thingy about nails so i think it would freak me out too much. just sticking to growing mine.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
i'm terrified of getting acrylics/gels because i heard your nails are horrible and soft once you take them off. i'm a bit thingy about nails so i think it would freak me out too much. just sticking to growing mine.
Yeah I got acrylics for my yr 12 formal, and it HURT so badly. All the filing is painful, and there's a lot of it. The girl who did mine filed the ridges out of my nails, so my nails were dull, thin, bumpy and ugly until they grew out (about 3 months).

The nails looked really pretty and lasted ages, but it just wasn't worth the initial pain or the bother of taking them off. Growing nails and getting a manicure would be better.

Lori.

HSC
If you have them done professionally it wont hurt as much, and if you have them taken off professionally, they do it so that the top layers don't get ripped off either, so they wont be too soft

xoxo

HSC
im just so hesitant because my friend had acrylics for her formal last year and says that her nails are still very brittle and dotn grow like they used to...and this girl wouldnt have gone to a cheap place to do them....i have nice nails...but they look fross at the moment coz of all my work and break like all the time...
still so unsure...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
GJV said:
If you have them done professionally it wont hurt as much, and if you have them taken off professionally, they do it so that the top layers don't get ripped off either, so they wont be too soft
Oh this was at a professional place, not done by a student or anything. I think she might have been overactive with the electric file. She definitely didn't seem to realise that filing skin HURTS.

I refused to go back to get them taken off because I knew she'd just file them off and destroy my fingers (again) at the same time. So I did it myself with special remover stuff. It took ages but there was no filing involved.

Maybe it was just the place I went to. Never going back.

arrested development
HSC
xoxo said:
im just so hesitant because my friend had acrylics for her formal last year and says that her nails are still very brittle and dotn grow like they used to...and this girl wouldnt have gone to a cheap place to do them....i have nice nails...but they look fross at the moment coz of all my work and break like all the time...
still so unsure...
why don't you just buy some clear nail strengthening polish first and see if that makes a difference to keeping them looking neat and even? :)
i would try and stay away from any kind of fake nails if you can... i've heard lots of "horror stories"!

Lori.

HSC
You can try OPI nail envy - that is probably the best nail hardener around. And you can use a good cuticle oil with calcium to grow them stronger.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
well the only way i've head that you can avoid the soft nails from having them removed is to just always get them filled in and never fully take them off! :)

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
if you're unsure of getting gel or acrylics, maybe you could just settle for a nice manicure instead? (cheaper too) i'm sure your current nails can be fixed up with just some loving and a nice colour :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)