Accounting Jobs - WHY hard? (1 Viewer)

latvia

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I have read/heard about accounting (entry-level) jobs to be very tiring and stressful, and I was wondering if you could share your experiences/views here.

Is it hard because it's boring, in that you do the same thing over and over but each task isn't exactly rocket science (requiring a lot of difficult and complex thinking)? Or hard because each task you need to do is extremely difficult and takes a lot of time and effort and you might not get it right? Or is it that you need to communicate with a lot of people whom might be really difficult to deal with? Or that you need to do many many things at once?

Please share, and thanks for your kindness.

latvia

HSC
N/A
DownInFlames said:
Hard because of people trusting you with their money?

Keeping constant up-to-date knowledge could be part of it.
And possibly boring. We're really not sure.
Thanks for your insight.
Have you worked in an Accounting firm or as an accountant before?

roadcone

HSC
latvia said:
Thanks for your insight.

it's not necessarily hard per say. it just sucks at times because you are at the bottom of the food chain and therefore obliged to do the shitty stuff no one else wants to do... it gets much better once you have the power of delegation though.

also, i am talking about it from an accounting firm perspective... commerce i believe is a completely different matter.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
latvia said:
Thanks for your insight.
Nope. My insight is more like the educated guess of a maths kid.

When you think about it, people go to accountants for help with all sorts of issues like their Shares/Stock and such things, and if you give them bad or outdated advice you're probably going to screw them over. To me, that would be stressful.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
^ .. that's not the only job an accountant does.

Difficulty would depends on where you work.
I know some accounting graduates who don't even go into the accounting field.. there's banking, admin, management, etc

There's graduate programs for one, where the person would alternate between departments each week, so you get experience doing different duties and you can choose to stay at which department you feel is best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)