accounting + Finance (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Do you think taking finance as a minor will help in your job application/career than just having accy as major?:confused:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Not really answering your questino here, but for most jobs I'd imagine a better WAM would be far more important than which minor you took.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
ok thanks, im dropping finance because its putting too much work load on me that it degrade my performance on my major subject ie Accy.

turtleface

HSC
You don't HAVE to, but I think if you intend to work as an accountant you should do finance, pretty much all that finance-ish work like NPV, Investment decisions, IPO, M&A opportunity scouting etc. in companies are done by accountants nowadays.

At the very minimum make sure you take the Corporate Finance/Financial Management courses.

You can learn it later on the job etc. and through CA/CPA but why not do it now to save you some effort later on

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Well true, if you are pursuing a finance-related career then finance would naturally help :p

(and if you are bad at finance then I guess thats a hint that it shouldnt be a career)

I'm suffering to an extent in the big4 atm because I have very little financial knowledge (haven't taken my first fin course yet..) ... then again I am working for financial services...

In terms of getting a job though.. even if finance related.. I suspect an employer would rather a D grad in acct than a P or C grad in acct/fin .. After all, you could always study for a CFA later?

Some grad accountants start their CFA straight after uni because they have to have experience before they can start their CA, whereas the CFA is very flexible and you can discontinue and recontinue your progress in the course quite easily.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I finally decided to drop fin subject for the time being as I already have 4 subjects for this semester, all of them compulsory/requirement for accy major. I'll take some fin subject again next semester when I'll have only 2 accy subjects ;) its because of Law subject which requires lots and lots of time for reading i just cant spare my time for another subject. Many thanks !

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)