accounting and actuarial studies majors ?how hard ? (1 Viewer)

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
hey, i m new to this website . so glad i found it. I will be in unsw in 2009, doing commerce...
i intend to be major in accounting and actuarial studies ...but heard that actuarial studies is a very very tough and heavy subject , so not sure whether i can copy with the 2 majors ? or i just take acct and finance instead?? any folks are major in acct and actuarial studies ?????

thanks for advice !!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
movie hunter said:
hey, i m new to this website . so glad i found it. I will be in unsw in 2009, doing commerce...
i intend to be major in accounting and actuarial studies ...but heard that actuarial studies is a very very tough and heavy subject , so not sure whether i can copy with the 2 majors ? or i just take acct and finance instead?? any folks are major in acct and actuarial studies ?????

thanks for advice !!
I don't do actuarial but it is a tough major. By all means, if you have decent HSC math marks and are confident and intuitive with your maths, then do it. A lot of actuarial people I know combine this major with finance as finance to them is just an easier version of actuarial so you might want to think about doing that. That's my input. I'm sure someone else who is around can give you more detail.

coeyz

HSC
Yes it is a heavy and tough major

You don't really need to be smart, but hard-working person to succeed in actuarial education.

Aiming 65 points for every actuarial subjects is the minimum requirement for you to stay in this career I would say.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
hollyy. said:
would i find it harder cause i only did 3 unit maths?
4u isnt a prerequisite but there have people who did only 3u and seem to breeze through the course without difficulty, but you need to achieve at least E4 i assume.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
coeyz said:
Yes it is a heavy and tough major

You don't really need to be smart, but hard-working person to succeed in actuarial education.

You need to be smart to succeed in actuarial. Notice how I said 'intuitive' in my previous post. It's because actuaries not only need to be good with their maths but in addition, be able to apply it to a given, more often than not abstract situation. Knowing your maths is great but knowing how how to make it work in a real world situation is what gives those an edge over the other people who will be doing this major with you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)