Accommodation (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
insects! i love insects!

and i think its John XXIII

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
yep. that's right. i only saw one roach in three weeks.. impressive huh? in the middle of summer too.

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
yep yep, it was John XXIII :)

Apart from the two cockroaches I saw on the first day... I didn't see any for the next two weeks. They are pretty clean...hmm, better than some USyd college. Go to St Johns at USyd... u'd surprise at how many cockroaches you see in a day... quite sickening.

ANU accomodation's good and very clean too.

craz

HSC
im still doing my application...but my referee's are like one of my teachers - one of my past homeroom teachers and my history teacher as well as my current year 12 homeroom teacher (they call it year 12 advisor or something).

s2ophie

HSC
yeh i'm still doing mine. i think my referees are my year adviser and my mum's friend who has known me all my life

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ah ok. Yeah I haven't submitted mine yet either, still considering, will probably do it after I get my UAI so I have a better idea of where I will actually be going.
I don't think you should put a teacher as a personal referee (unless you write they are just a friend instead of teacher) cos it looks like you don't know anyone else...

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
I put down Bruce Hall as my preference.. I had to change it from Johns though.. I just found the prospect of only getting 10 meals and paying fortnightly alot more liberal than having to having 21 meals at Johns (3 meals a day) and paying by the semester..

Im hoping Bruce still does that choice of either 10 or 20 meals a week... anyone ??

2003HSC

So exactly when is everyone putting in their application?
I'm kind of worried about not getting a place and having to search for accomodation elsewhere at the last minute, falling behind on rent, selling my body for food on the streets of canberra and dying in a gutter.
How do they assess you for suitability in accommodation anyway?

s2ophie

HSC
the link in the original post of this thread goes to a page and you can compare the costs there

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by 2003HSC
So exactly when is everyone putting in their application?
I'm kind of worried about not getting a place and having to search for accomodation elsewhere at the last minute, falling behind on rent, selling my body for food on the streets of canberra and dying in a gutter.
How do they assess you for suitability in accommodation anyway?
Its more luck than anything getting into a college.

Don't worry too much if you don't get in, on the website they have a heap of advertisements for people wanting roomates (sometime they want one person to join a house of 4 already) with rent ranging from $50-100 p/w (obviously bills and food on top of this). But yeah that is the second option and you can reapply for the hall/college mid year.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just a quick q bout accomodation at the halls...do they make you leave during the holidays? Cos this will cause problems for employment, employers generally don't like you taking 3 weeks off (and usuallu longer for uni hols)

Ribbon

does anyone have any idea how much it costs to live off campus? I don't want to share, looking for a house at least 2 bedrooms and off street parking a must... not to fussed about age or anything like that, so long as its not too run down.... willing to drive 30 - 45 mins each way to get to uni... anyone have any idea the prices in each area? Every real estate website I look at prices everything around $400.... But i don't know if that covers area further from the centre of the city.... I was thinking <$200.... am I totally crazy?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah if you want your own place it will be at least $300-$400 pw with bills on top of that. The only way you will get anything under $200 pw is to share.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Just a quick q bout accomodation at the halls...do they make you leave during the holidays? Cos this will cause problems for employment, employers generally don't like you taking 3 weeks off (and usuallu longer for uni hols)
With halls of residence and colleges you can stay on during holidays as long as you "apply" to (tell them you're doing it) and pay the applicable fees for the time you remain. Usually it's no problem, so if you have a local job and need to hang around everything works like normal, only without tutes and lectures to get to.

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
Who has actually done their application forms? I keep on putting mine off but i am doing them today. the limits are ridiculous. How is a total of 850 characters going to allow them to assess us!! Stupid thing!

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I did the form a while ago and my Mum and I were laughing at how hard it is to cut back on words. In the end, it sounds like I can't speak English properly and the stuff I wrote doesn't entirely make sense... :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)