ACCG353 or ACST300 (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think would be the best subject to choose between accg353 & acst300?

I have heard 353 is very hard, the lecturers are terrible and the text book is no help :( however I was under the impression they were changing the course because many people complained!! Also I found 253 not too bad but the final difficult (this subject has also changed and now is easer :mad:

ACST300 I have heard is a LOTT of theory from most people? However I was recently told that it isn't too hard and the final isn't bad either?

Next semester I am doing ECON 335 / 360 and then got to decide b/w these other 2!! I am trying to push my GPA up a bit so was wondering which subject is easier in regards to obtaining a higher mark?

Sorry for the long question, I hope someone can fill me in :)

Regards Kutay

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Hey man,

I am in the exact same position as you! I am planning on doing ECON335 and ECON360 next semester and just done ECON200 and ACCG253. Howd you go into 253 and 200. I feel I done pretty good in both of them but you never know until you receive your results! I am not going to do ACST300 or ACCG353. For ACST300, All actuarial students do it meaning that you pretty much have to work your ass off to get a D or HD. ACCG353 I heard is just hell so not doing it aswell. I am going to do ACCG329 and ACCG352 next year. Why don't you do them 2 as they give you PSA compliance?

Take care dude

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey peter,

the only problem is that i can only choose between a select few! i am doing a b-com (fin) degree so i dont have much to choose from.. i was told that also with acst300 but most act are not so great with theory so its a positive. a mate said it was easy but then another person i spoke to said was boring?? not sure what to do.. really dont want to do accg353 i might go and just doing acst300

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Hey peter,

the only problem is that i can only choose between a select few! i am doing a b-com (fin) degree so i dont have much to choose from.. i was told that also with acst300 but most act are not so great with theory so its a positive. a mate said it was easy but then another person i spoke to said was boring?? not sure what to do.. really dont want to do accg353 i might go and just doing acst300
Hey dude,

I am doing an applied finance/law but don't you get to choose 2 of ECON335, ECON350 and ECON360 and 2 of ACCG353, ACCG329, ACCG352 and ACST300? But I think if you're doing Bcomm finance you can actually choose 4 of any of those units I have mentioned so you could for eg pick all the ECON units. I transferred to B applied finance at beginning of this year because I honestly didnt know what I could do with a Bcomm majoring in finance. You don't get any PSA accreditation etc.

If I were you, don't do ACST300 because you don't get that certain accreditation as stated earlier. Also miss ACCG353 and do 329 and 352. But do whatever you want of course. Anyways, how did you go in ECON200 and ACCG253. ECON200 final was quite a shocker don;t you think?

Take care man.

atreus

HSC
i have heard that the acst300 content is very dry, but u can see the exam on e-reserve to see what its like. the thing with accg353 is that theres an assignment and mid semester exam, whereas acst300 is a series of in class tests and the final.

also, if anyone has the ACSTINFO tab in their blackboard list of units, could u pls pm me.

Mathmatics85

HSC
Ive been contemplating as to what to choose between 352 and 353.. And im leaning towards more to 352.. I duuno why, but 352 looks a bit more interesting and useful since the entire unit focuses on managing portfolios..

taikee

HSC
N/A
If you're talking about usefulness, 353 would seem more useful. Plus it's the next stage of 253 and 253 talks about portfolios as well anyways.

peter2222

Banned
HSC
If you're talking about usefulness, 353 would seem more useful. Plus it's the next stage of 253 and 253 talks about portfolios as well anyways.
No its not. ACCG329 and ACCG352 are very important units and are much better to do than ACCG353 and whatever else. 329 is the prerequisite for 352. I heard 353 is a bitch subject and very difficult etc. Plus you don't obtain the PSA compliance if you dont do 329 and 352.

taikee

HSC
N/A
Difficulty doesn't relate to usefulness, but fair enough. Can you explain what is PSA or RG146 compliance?

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Difficulty doesn't relate to usefulness, but fair enough. Can you explain what is PSA or RG146 compliance?
To be honest, I am not 100% sure what they are and what they really do other than give you certain qualifications for certain areas. I am sure the BOS member Supra and Luke would be able to give an affirmative answer. I have just heard that with those compliances, they enable you to go into more certains areas. Lets just wait until someone with a more knowledgeable expertise gives their resolution on RG 146 and PSA compliance.

Monstar

HSC
Isn't Accg329 very mathematical based?

and by the way, Kutay, Rule of thumb i understand is; 'stay the fuck away from the acst kids'. therefore i reckon you should go with accg329 with accg352/accg353. Thats what i'm doing man.

What econ units are you guys gonna choose?

taikee

HSC
N/A
Looks like econ335 and 360 are my choices now. Initially, econ350 and 360 appealed to me more. But I heard about some media assignment that seems stupid so I'm having second thoughts about 350 now.

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Isn't Accg329 very mathematical based?

and by the way, Kutay, Rule of thumb i understand is; 'stay the fuck away from the acst kids'. therefore i reckon you should go with accg329 with accg352/accg353. Thats what i'm doing man.

What econ units are you guys gonna choose?
Hey dude!

I am going to be doing ECON335 and ECON360. I would rather than ECON350 instead of 360 but problem is that ECON350 is only offered first semester and would fuck my plan up. So I am just going to do it next semester along with ACST201 and Criminal law. What units are you doing next semester Monstar? You doing ECON335, ECON360 and ACST201 as well???

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Looks like econ335 and 360 are my choices now. Initially, econ350 and 360 appealed to me more. But I heard about some media assignment that seems stupid so I'm having second thoughts about 350 now.
I also heard that they got rid of that media assignment for econ350. So it doesnt seem to be so bad. I probably wouldnt want to choose econ350 if they make us write an article to get it published in some form of media since it would be too much of a hassle.

atreus

HSC
Having just done ECON350, I can tell you that:
(i) there is no media assignment
(ii) the assessment structure was pretty good (we had 7 articles to read, and an 'essay' based on those 7 articles only. Since there was no textbook, the final exam was purely based on what was said in the lectures and what was on the lecture slides.)
(iii) it was one of the easiest, yet most interesting and informative subjects I have done
(iv) Sean Turnell is one of the best lecturers

Also, you can have a look at the unit outline of a complete list of topics. In a way, it's like the elements from ACST101, but with a bit of history and context thrown in, and also, given the current climate, things were looked at in light of the GFC.

ACCG329 involves a lot of calculations, but it is manageable once you get them down. Actually, a lot of it is just simultaneous equations. Basically, you learn to value and design different derivatives: options, futures/fwds, swaps, etc. and look at some issues in finance relating to these derivatives. This unit used to have an assignment, but it's been taken out. ACCG352 and 353 both have had assignments in the past, but it may change this year.

Re: ACCG253: this subject is like a taster of the 300 level finance subjects. ACCG329, 352 and 353 all pick up on different aspects of ACCG253 and focus on them. e.g. you go through all of Black Scholes in ACCG329, taking it apart, etc whereas in ACCG253 you would have just learnt how to use the formula.

RG146 compliance
RG146 is part of ASIC's regulations. Basically, to provide financial product advice, you have to have to meet the requirements set out in RG146. You also then have a distinction between general advice and personal advice, and different requirements for each of these.

Don't beat yourself up about RG146 compliance though, if you don't do the units listed in your degree, and you end up needing to do it, you can just do a course - probably for a few days even- and you will meet the requirements. Or, there is a way for you to do the unit through Macquarie even if you've already graduated.

Here is the link for Macquarie's AppFin degree and RG146 specifically:
Bachelor of Applied Finance Details

Also, does anyone have the ACSTINFO tab in Blackboard?

Kutay

University
HSC
i agree with above, i really really enjoyed econ 350 so really excited to do econ360 for that matter and econ335 i can only do accg 353 and acst300 as i haven't made the complete requirements for the others ie (econ 141) !!

another question i am finishing my b-com finance degree next semester, is it worth trying to do an extra semester to get the applied finance degree if i want to get a job in investment banks areas, stocks trading etc?

regards kutay

jellybelly08

HSC
OMFG don't do ACST300 it's is the worst subject ever!

There is soooo much reading, i'm taking ~100pages per week. Now that would be OK if it was interesting reading but it is not! It's just about regulation and APRA's standards and so on...

Also the whole actuarial students struggling in Acst300 due it being a theoretical subject is false! Since they are smart people pretty good at memorising, it's not like they will be struggling to pass (well the majority anyway). Plus you shouldn't let the actuarial students put you off doing a subject, not like all of the grade is full of geniuses.

Monstar

HSC
Hey dude!

I am going to be doing ECON335 and ECON360. I would rather than ECON350 instead of 360 but problem is that ECON350 is only offered first semester and would fuck my plan up. So I am just going to do it next semester along with ACST201 and Criminal law. What units are you doing next semester Monstar? You doing ECON335, ECON360 and ACST201 as well???
yet to have done econ201 due to failures (lol) but thats behind me and now im focused.

Yeah i was planning my study because i've decided to carry on with my double degree, but from what i hear from a close friend that econ350 is fun .. apparently all they ahve to read is some novel. But yeah ill be doing econ350 and econ335.

Next sem should see me doing (touch wood)
busl320
accg310
econ201
acst201

tbh i'm a bit more worried about those accg units ie 329 353 but hey i did pretty well in 253 so lets hope that trend continues(touch wood again).

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think would be the best subject to choose between accg353 & acst300?
I've done neither. I withdrew from ACCG353 in favour of pursuing ACCG352 - Applied Portfolio Management. Nevertheless, here's what I think/know:

- I imagine ACST300 would be the more difficult/useful/boring unit. It'll be useful if you're looking at a financial planning career and you want to be PS146 compliant. Knowledge of superannuation products is important.
- I did the first two weeks of ACCG353 and decided I liked ACCG352 better even though it's more difficult. A friend who continued with ACCG353 told me the mid-semester was difficult but the final was comparatively much easier.

Next semester I am doing ECON 335 / 360 and then got to decide b/w these other 2!! I am trying to push my GPA up a bit so was wondering which subject is easier in regards to obtaining a higher mark?
I've only done ECON360. I'm doing ECON335 next semester. It should be easy to get a credit/distinction in ECON360. I got a comfortable credit with minimal effort. Stefan's units tend to be alright and he's a quality lecturer.

Adamjohns

HSC
ACST300 was much easier than people led me to believe. Almost nothing conceptually difficult, although the general insurance module was hard to follow. I think that was mostly the Insurance lecturer's vague way of explaining things though.

If this unit fits well with your program or u want to work in insurance or super, don't avoid it because of anything posted on this site. I almost gave it a miss because of some horror stories I'd heard but I'm glad I didnt.

BTW Im a applied finance student not actuary and its bs about actuaries being fiercely competetive and this unit will ruin your GPA and all that. ACCG353 is much harder. FIN310 is harder. ACST300 is probably on a par with ECON335 in terms of difficult- only more reading (but not that much considering it is a 3rd year, 4 credit point ACST unit with no maths).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)