Accg200 v 253 (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
This might belong in the commerce forum (and depending on the responses, I may repost/ask it to be moved there), but i'll post it here first.

For various reasons, I'm looking at doing 253 or 200 next semester... obviously I've gotta choose (only want to do one accounting unit per semester). Apparently 200 is overall easier (so I've implied, anyway), but 253 is 'easier' in the 2nd semester: some people say this is because they make the course harder for the acst students, but it seems more logical simply that the acst students pull the average up, and thus make it 'harder' for you to get good marks. On the latter, I can imagine that it could be harder in 1st sem than 2nd sem.

(In the end I'll to do the harder --from the point of view of a non-mathsy/numerical, but semi-logical person (;))-- one this semester)

So. 2 questions:
1) Is the claim that ACST students typically do 253 in 1st semester accurate? (ie as per the recommended programs, such as those Here.. which I'll get round to going through eventually)
2) Irrespective of the answer to q1, what're your thoughts on the two units?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hi skitz :)

im doing accg253 next semester :) along with business law and developmental psychology

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I am pretty sure the majority of actuarial students do ACCG253 in semester 1. I am a believer in staying away from them. ;)

I have done the 2 subjects, and if I had to do another again, then I'd chose ACCG253. Mainly because it is a more interesting subject I think. ACCG200 isn't bad, but a bit bland at times. Also in terms of usefullness overall in life/career, unless you will working in an accounting environment, then I'd recommend ACCG253.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
That's a good question Skittled, which frequently offers divergent opinions.

Personally, ACCG200 is hell on earth for mine. Dull, immensely difficult, and utterly useless.

ACCG253 - I actually did the subject in the first semester of 2003 and found it ok (i'm not sure when ACST students did it). I had a mostly theory based multiple choice final.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
I heard bout most ACST students doing 253 first sem... Tat's why I purposely split 200 and 253 into 2semesters :p
But not sure who started this rumour. All I knew was, a friend say it's hard but can't be able to explain wat made it hard for her. Then another friend say it's a lot of work. So, I will just wait and give some comments bout this subject later :p

hello2004

But not sure who started this rumour
It's not a rumour.

I did very little work and still got a D, so in my opinion this subject is easy. However, the reason I found it easy was because the calculation questions (about 40% of the course) seemed very routine compared to those in ACST200. If you were good at 101 you should be fine though.

The theory part also seemed easy to me because they handed out a set of "guideline" topics to study for. In reality, if you only studied these topics you would be set.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I'd also recommend splitting ACCG200 and 253 into different semesters for BBA students...as these 2 subjects seem to require substantially more work than others.

I don't know how ACCG students manage to get through their degree (with a bit of difficulty judging by the failure rates).

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
hello2005 said:
It's not a rumour.

I did very little work and still got a D, so in my opinion this subject is easy. However, the reason I found it easy was because the calculation questions (about 40% of the course) seemed very routine compared to those in ACST200. If you were good at 101 you should be fine though.

The theory part also seemed easy to me because they handed out a set of "guideline" topics to study for. In reality, if you only studied these topics you would be set.
As long as the stuffs they provide is not all over da place. Better be really organised.
Oh and atm, I can access the ACCG253B webct link...is that useful at all? Coz it says sem2 of 2005.:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)