Accelerated Subjects (1 Viewer)

tarasomerville

HSC
I was wondering if anyone is doing an accelerated course (as in hsc exam end of this year rather than next for any given topic) and what subject? How are you finding it? Are you prepared for exams? Do you like your assessments?

I know a lot of people do accelerated math, but most of them still do the course over two years, just tarting from a different grade.

Is anyone doing an accelerated subject in one year rather than two?

I'm doing accelerated SOR I and I think it's awesome. I have a great teacher, a class of 7, it interests me and I'm coming top of the class, which makes me pretty happy since it's the first hsc exam I will be doing.

We're moving pretty quickly - we've finished grade 11 aboriginal spirituality and the nature of religion and also our first depth study, Buddhism, and we've just started Judaism.

Our first assessment was a research task on a religion of our choice where we had to relate it to the 7 components of a religion, creation stories and afterlife beliefs of that religion and an explanation of why there is suffering according to that religion. I chose Wicca and got 14.5/15 (=1st).
Our second was an in class test that was source based on our two depth studies (Buddhism and Judaism). We'd just finished Buddhism and knew nothing of Judaism, but it was source based so it was okay. I got 51/60 (1st) which placed me first overall.

I love my class and I can't wait for the HSC! But I don't want it to be over - after the exams I'll literally have a gap where SOR I was :(

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Yes I am.
I'm doing Studies of Religion I as a HSC subject this year and our accelerated class started Term 4 last year (As any other HSC class would start Yr 12). Since much of the prelim content doesn't count too much to the HSC content (except Jewish principle beliefs and ethical teachings in our school), the best english students in our Year 10 cohort last year get to finish it...

Most of it is writing and understanding, so choosing the 'best' english students was paramount to good marks in this course based on their ability to write a cohesive response.

tarasomerville

HSC
Awesome! Somebody else :)

The only difference is, anyone could pick this course at my school, as long as they knew what they were in for. We didn't start last year, so we only have three terms to do it. We had one dropout after like two lessons, but since then we've been left with a class of seven. It's so fun though, we're moving so fast and I'm really excited about my future marks in SOR :)

How many people are in your class? And what depth studies are you doing?

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
There are about 25 in our accelerated class, and maybe 130 in the course for SOR I
So far I think a couple of people are being dropped for their poor marks from our class
My Depth studies are Christianity and Judaism...

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Yes. Otherwise there is another course called Catholic Studies (1 unit) for those who don't want to do SOR I. It doesn't count to an ATAR so it's for people who want to focus entirely on other subjects.

tarasomerville

HSC
Ah yes. My dance teacher is also a science/religion teacher (weird mix I know) and she teaches at a boys school. She says that the only time the boys drop/start in Catholic studies is if they aren't really doing well in religion or don't feel competent enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)