• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accelerated Maths? (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone please explain to me how Aquawhite is doing accelerated 2unit and 3unit maths when on July 21st, 2008, he asked what an accelerated subject was?

That was on July 21st, 2008 posted by Aqua

So..that means he somehow just finished his prelim
and is going on to do hsc this year...wtf?

And the part in bold..srsly..wtf?

TROLL and/or FAKE
Hehe, lolz. !!! ARGH, I'm trying to scare you all away. The reason I asked is because well being in Year 10 I did not know of it because the whole accelerated thing was kept quiet. Subject selection was coming up and I had previously just asked you what it was....

My mathematics co-ordinator and I sat down and went through the benefits and disadvantages of Accelerated Mathematics + Extension, and we decided I would complete the Preliminary course and the HSC course during the one year 2009 (and the holidays of 2008). I suppose you could say that this is a 'behind' or 'weird' way to be doing accelerated maths but I wanted to have less to do in my HSC 2010; a better chance of achieving a higher UAI for myself because I know I can still achieve very well in maths (although its a little rushed).

Why do you seem to be attacking me so much over what I've chosen to do?? It's like you have stalked every single post I've made.... I had no idea I was able to accelerate mathematics and I've only just started the god damn course, so no I cannot do the requested question. I think it's a little rude to attack someone on grounds that you have no idea about. My school is still only in trialling stages of acceleration in any subject, which they are proud to say that they have a student doing it.

AND, I'm quite sure, from what I know from talking to him, Namu (username: lyounamu) did accelerated maths + extension basically the exact same way I am.

Anyway, I don't see how it should concern or affect you in anyway.

Well back to the topic; despite what Bisu may think, I am officially being accelerated and am enrolled in the course.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay..my bad..

but what I'm saying is that towards the end of July, he didn't even know what acceleration was (he even said he didnt know if the school offered it)..

That just implied he was doing it for preliminary..

Everything just contradicts..

Okay..so he doesnt know whether he can fit accelerated maths in his timetable till the end of the year..so that gives him about 10weeks to finish the preliminary content over the holidays..

10 weeks to do prelim for 2u and ext. 1? and then go on to do hsc?
i dont think so

However..it is possible so let's just see if he can do this Year 11 Ext. 1...

a) The graph of a polynomial function y = P(x) cuts the x-axis at x= -2/3 and touches the x-axis at x=3 and x=-4. The curve also passes through the point (0,36). Find the equation of the curve.

b) The curve y=[(ax+b)^2)(c-x)] cuts the x-axis at 3 and touches the x-axis at x= 2 1/4. Find the values of a, b and c.

Also, note tat he has never attempted to help anyone with year 11 maths questions. I understand he doesnt have to, but the amount of posts he make in each thread would make it highly unlikely.

This is my case, and everyone here on BOS in their infinite pearls of wisdom now have the decision to form their own conclusions.
I've only basically just started!!! Give me a break. Even if I go horribly in the '09 HSC, I can do it again anyway (although it will defeat the purpose of why I did it), it's still an option! Argh, I shouldn't have to lower myself to this level.... Sorry for the double post, I'm so frustrated!

AND! Bisu, it says your a new member with 12 posts.... who joined January 2009, this year. How could have I asked you in 2008? Maybe your the troll... and if this is someone else posting on a different account, you makes alternate accounts on what's meant to be a 'friendly', educational help forums.

Last edited:
HSC
Okay..my bad..

but what I'm saying is that towards the end of July, he didn't even know what acceleration was (he even said he didnt know if the school offered it)..

Okay..so he doesnt know whether he can fit accelerated maths in his timetable till the end of the year..so that gives him about 10weeks to finish the preliminary content over the holidays..

i dont think so

a) The graph of a polynomial function y = P(x) cuts the x-axis at x= -2/3 and touches the x-axis at x=3 and x=-4. The curve also passes through the point (0,36). Find the equation of the curve.

b) The curve y=[(ax+b)^2)(c-x)] cuts the x-axis at 3 and touches the x-axis at x= 2 1/4. Find the values of a, b and c.

Also, note tat he has never attempted to help anyone with year 11 maths questions. I understand he doesnt have to, but the amount of posts he make in each thread would make it highly unlikely.

This is my case, and everyone here on BOS in their infinite pearls of wisdom now have the decision to form their own conclusions.
jeebus..you posted that @ 12:38am ?!?!

HSC
hey lol i posted other things at like 2am.. :sleep:
i'm still half-asleep...:mad1:
but you're overseas arent you?

i know jordan is..in hk i believe

btw..bisu..are you doing legal studies??

I see you one day as a lawyer :rofl::rofl:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Okay..my bad..

i dont think so

That's what I did. I was offered that in Year 11 and I took it up. The only downfall was that I didn't do too well - because I know from experience it's not easy. But you HAVE to complete the Year 11 course within 10 weeks so you can be able to sit the Half Yearlies with all the other Year 12 students.

So I don't think the person is lying - but they will have a long and difficult road ahead of them.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
:( I totally know! I hope I will be able to jam it all in..... but my co-ordinator has said to me that my half yearlies and assessments may be and can be altered depending on how my progess and achievement is going!

I will be doing at least 3 hours of maths a night... ZOMG! And then getting up early for it... ARGH, it better be worth it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
:( I totally know! I hope I will be able to jam it all in..... but my co-ordinator has said to me that my half yearlies and assessments may be and can be altered depending on how my progess and achievement is going!

I will be doing at least 3 hours of maths a night... ZOMG! And then getting up early for it... ARGH, it better be worth it.
Good luck with that.

From experience, you should be fine with 2u - it's a breeze. You might struggle with Extension 1 though. But you can always sit it again in Year 12, and it gets a LOT easier second time round.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You know, that actually might end up being the case. Because I find 2unit to be 'challenging' on occassion while I learn a topic, but otherwise quite simple. I do find Extension 1 Maths to be a lot more difficult and consumes plenty of time... although while I started a little bit last year, I completed Circle Geometry in 5 days. :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
You know, that actually might end up being the case. Because I find 2unit to be 'challenging' on occassion while I learn a topic, but otherwise quite simple. I do find Extension 1 Maths to be a lot more difficult and consumes plenty of time... although while I started a little bit last year, I completed Circle Geometry in 5 days. :D
Most of the concepts in 2U are really easy to grasp. 3U on the other hand might take you a while. I gotta be honest, Circle Geometry isn't a good indicator of the difficulty of Extension 1, because some schools (like mine) taught it as an option topic in Year 9/10. Topics like Parametrics and Inverse Trig might take you a while to grasp. But yeah - work at it. You have nothing to lose, you just gain experience and obviously you'll do better second time round.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the concepts in 2U are really easy to grasp. 3U on the other hand might take you a while. I gotta be honest, Circle Geometry isn't a good indicator of the difficulty of Extension 1, because some schools (like mine) taught it as an option topic in Year 9/10. Topics like Parametrics and Inverse Trig might take you a while to grasp. But yeah - work at it. You have nothing to lose, you just gain experience and obviously you'll do better second time round.
Actually I have no idea why I suggested Circle Geometry as an example of Extension :p. I thought it was surprisingly easy for extension work! I suppose I suggested it because it was the first Extension topic on the list to cross off.

I have had a quick look at parametrics... indeed, it seems very difficult without actually sitting down and reading it for a while and learning it properly.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Actually I have no idea why I suggested Circle Geometry as an example of Extension :p. I thought it was surprisingly easy for extension work! I suppose I suggested it because it was the first Extension topic on the list to cross off.

I have had a quick look at parametrics... indeed, it seems very difficult without actually sitting down and reading it for a while and learning it properly.
Yeah - i find circle geometry very misleading. Especially if you use Maths In Focus as your textbook - so easy...

Anyway yeah - Parametrics will take while to understand - I know it took me a while. So will stuff like Projectile Motion and Simple Harmonic Motion and Inverse Trig. But it's doable, just make sure you get plenty of exercises done and don't be afraid to ask your teacher. Those were my two downfalls.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah - i find circle geometry very misleading. Especially if you use Maths In Focus as your textbook - so easy...

Anyway yeah - Parametrics will take while to understand - I know it took me a while. So will stuff like Projectile Motion and Simple Harmonic Motion and Inverse Trig. But it's doable, just make sure you get plenty of exercises done and don't be afraid to ask your teacher. Those were my two downfalls.
Although the acceleration is all very on my own, I do have the maths co-ordinator who said she would come around a check on my work whenever she can (basically every second day) and I have the year 12 maths teacher, so I will frequently be on his case... :D

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I wish I accelerated...

Reasons why I didn't:

1. Too late, it was the beginning of Term 1 Year 11 when I decided.
2. School didn't offer it.

Now I'm finding 3U kind of hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)