Ac power generating stations (1 Viewer)

mtsmahia

HSC
Hi Guys.

Cam someone please explain why does the coil moves on the magnet (in the armature)? instead of being apart of the stator?
In other words, why is the magnet (which is normally apart of the stator) apart of the rotor in Ac power generators ?

thanks

kickass91

HSC
because the electromagnet is much smaller (hence lighter) than the armature coils so less energy is required to create the same rate of change in flux through the armature coils.

i.e. it is more energy efficient that way.

mtsmahia

HSC
because the electromagnet is much smaller (hence lighter) than the armature coils so less energy is required to create the same rate of change in flux through the armature coils.

i.e. it is more energy efficient that way.
oohh so that electromagnet is lighter than the armature, so it can revolve faster ?

whitnall8

HSC
It just means there's less strain and less load on the bearings, so I think it makes it safer and easier to operate?

kickass91

HSC
yes, less strain on the ball bearings and thus more reliable.

but the main thing is that your generator becomes more efficient. (in terms of energy conversion from mechanical energy into electrical energy)

you may ask, why would the armature be larger than the electromagnet?

remember the generator is producing high voltage AC. hence you need a lot of turns on the armature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)