Abyssmal at Circle Geometry *HELP* (1 Viewer)

studybuddy09

HSC
Hey BoS

Really need help here. I probably didn't try all that hard last year in the prelim course and I thought I was out of the woods but suddenly i have to learn Circle Geo for the Trials and I thought i could do OK but i just stare blankly at the page. I still have about a fortnight until the exam so I'll be OK as long as i can learn it now.

I understand the concepts its just hard for me to spot when and where to use them!

Please lend me any tips, tricks, important things to remember and suggest some sort of worksheet I can do to hammer it all into my brain.

THANKS,
studybuddy09

oly1991

HSC
I understand the concepts its just hard for me to spot when and where to use them!
studybuddy09
thats exactly my problem, although i'm working on it.

i think the only way to get better is doing a wide range of questionns i.e PRACTICE!

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
Hey BoS

Really need help here. I probably didn't try all that hard last year in the prelim course and I thought I was out of the woods but suddenly i have to learn Circle Geo for the Trials and I thought i could do OK but i just stare blankly at the page. I still have about a fortnight until the exam so I'll be OK as long as i can learn it now.

Please lend me any tips, tricks, important things to remember and suggest some sort of worksheet I can do to hammer it all into my brain.

THANKS,
studybuddy09
I lolled

um anyway... you just got to get used to the questions they give you. They're only of couple of situations.

1. One circle, no tangents drawn, no centre
- these will usually be related to angles subtended by the same arc
- cyclyic quadrilaterals
- external angle of the triangle is = to the 2 interior angles
- similar triangles

2. One circle, centre given, no tangents drawn
- similar to the 1st situation but they also may use the result that semi circles always subtend right angles at the circumference ( you may need to insert a line)
-and the result, the angle subtended at the centre is 2x the angle subtended by the arc
- also watch out for the perpendicular bisector

3. One circle, tagents drawn
- once again similar to above
- also angle subtended by a tangent and chord is equal to the angle in the opposite segment

4. 2 circles
- may be testing you on cyclic quads
-parallel lines - corresponding angles alternate angles co interior angles etc.
- always handy to insert a line if they overlap

ive missed a few things but that's pretty much it. It's not so hard once you get the hang of it

Last edited:

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Well, i'm not that great at these either - however I used to be much worse. Practise would be the best technique to improve. Simple things to look out for:

• If you see tangents, there is a high chance that "angle in the alternate segment" can be used
  • Look out for diameters (90 degree angles at circumference)
  • DON'T FORGET TO USE ANGLE IN CENTRE IS TWICE ANGLE AT CIRCUMFERENCE. Sometimes these are really REALLY disguised, so spotting them can save a LOT of working out
  • If you genuinely cannot spot anything that remotely incorporates a theorem, draw clever construction lines. These are often helpful for cyclic quadrilaterals (also look out for, they can simplify problems)

Lastly, if you cannot do a problem, ask here. We can post up full solutions so you can learn your weak points.

studybuddy09

HSC
Was confused by this until i realised who it was :haha:

OK I think I'm getting the idea of how to spot them, I just really need practice. I'll check in resources for a good practice sheet but any of you guys [scardizzle in particular] have any of your own sheets that you could link or scan or whatever if I don't find any. Anyway I'll check now

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
Was confused by this until i realised who it was :haha:

OK I think I'm getting the idea of how to spot them, I just really need practice. I'll check in resources for a good practice sheet but any of you guys [scardizzle in particular] have any of your own sheets that you could link or scan or whatever if I don't find any. Anyway I'll check now
Use textbooks or past papers.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just keep trying more and more questions... make them get progressively harder and your spotting skills will improve. scardizzle and gurmies has great points about identification.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
just go over heaps and heaps of examples of ways that each q can be drawn. cos this is the kind of thing that you need to be able to visualise, if you can't spot it then you're screwed :)

K

khorne

Questions Questions and more Questions...You will soon learn all the "tricks" used...There really isn't any.

Something that might help you is, before you read the actual question, find any equal angles and sides...

shuning

HSC
回复: Abyssmal at Circle Geometry *HELP*

circle geo possibly 1 of the easiest chapter in the 3/4 u syllbus. just remember this... ( my tutor mentions it 100 times a day )

ANGLES MOVE AROUND!!!!! REMEMBER THIS AND U'll be fine, and this is like the best tip i can give u

studybuddy09

HSC
Re: 回复: Abyssmal at Circle Geometry *HELP*

ANGLES MOVE AROUND!!!!! REMEMBER THIS AND U'll be fine, and this is like the best tip i can give u
HAHA, your display pic goes so well with that phrase....

anyway, yep been doing some practice but having a slight bit of trouble linking rules with question etc etc. Anyway, thanks all

studybuddy09

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Re: 回复: Abyssmal at Circle Geometry *HELP*

I have EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!!

Lmfao, I just made a post regarding help on this topic!

Arh! A few posts at the beginging seem REAL helpfull. I'll write these down.

Any more advice or hints?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)