About Library Tutorials next week (1 Viewer)

D.Larie

Regarding students of Arts in Communications.

The lecturers and tutors say we can view which library groups we're in (for next week). These groups are sorted in alphabetical order.

Where on UTS Online can I find this page??

*Erika*

HSC
yeah, good question...i can't find it anywhere..

*Erika*

HSC
yeah, i'm liking it..it all seems pretty similar though! hehe, i can see myself getting em mixed up...

what course are you doin?

*Erika*

HSC
cool, i'm doin pub comm...

yeah...the readings are so boring.....i'm kinda finding the whole thing not...i dunoo...interesting?

its very artsy....
i cant wait till 2nd year when i can start doing stuff thats more specific to what i wanna do...i know its all background, but it seems very general social issues and stuff....and having done all social science in year 12, its very much the same stuff, just with more wanky words thrown in...and a pretentious academic attitude to boot...

D.Larie

lol

You're right about those wanky words.
Quantitative. Got so sick of that word today. :rolleyes:

I hope I can survive through all this "what is power", "what does it mean to be an australian citizen" stuff.

*cries*

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I keep looking in the corridor thing too and feel like an idiot when there are no library groups up yet. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't totally in love with the compulsory classes so far. ;)

Jinglebell

HSC
D.Larie said:
You're right about those wanky words.
Quantitative. Got so sick of that word today. :rolleyes:
Get used to the wank. There will be constant wankiness. You will become desensitised to it over the course of the year, and begin to think that there may be some educational value in Tony Mitchell's 63rd lecture on Australian hip hop:p And get used to quantitative and qualitative, they're you're friendly SI buzzwords (also, the answer to every question is "it's socially constructed", and the question "what is social inquiry?" never gets a straight answer). In fact, Research Methods 1, compulsory in 2nd year, is entirely devoted to quantitative research.
All those readings we're supposed to read...*yawn*
You didn't hear this from me, but the readings aren't always strictly necessary to figure out what's happening:)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't totally in love with the compulsory classes so far.
Compulsory classes are merely tolerated. See above re:wank. Although they do have their moments...did you go to Adrian's lecture on gay dance music Ash? Quite possibly the biggest wank of them all, but the most entertaining by far:D

D.Larie

Click on a subject (any) on the right side.
E.g Contemporary Cultures

Then on the left side, click on Subject Documents

And then:

Library Visit Schedule
Library_visits.doc ( 1212416 Bytes )

HSC
okay, on the subjects of library tutorials and wanks...

checked my time, 11:30 on tuesday. fine, all good. these go for an hour and a half right? oh yeah, wait a sec, I'VE GOT A LECTURE AT 12.

what do i do? the switching process sounds complicated. well, not complicated. just like a lot of effort for me. should i just go and squeeze into the 9:00am lecture?

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
This week's Tuesday 9am lecture wasn't full. So yeah, you'll just have to squeeze out the door when it's finished. ;)
I'm at 10 on Tuesday, and don't think I'll be getting to the library 5 minutes early. Stupid confusing system...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh yeah the "So Gay Dance Music Sucks?" Lecture in Contemporary Cultures 2 is a MUST SEE LECTURE. It is absolutely hilarious. Don't miss it. It's some the best value you will get for your HECS fees at UTS lol. I missed the lecture where Tony Mitchell did some MC-ing, and apparently that was worth watching too just because it is quite bizarre when a middle aged academic breaks out in to rap in a lecture.

Also, around student election time you may be lucky enough to witness some interesting election campaigns taking place at the beginning of your lectures......

Second year is better in terms of the subjects..... except if you first year people think you have a lot to read this year lol.... wait until you get to second year. I'm doing a third year subject this semester as well, so OMFG...... so much to read, you have no idea!!!!!! Take all of your first year readers..... add them all together.... and that is how thick my readers are just for ONE subject!!! Plus, there is nothing but wanky words in the readings....but that is the third year subject, there is a bit less for my other two subjects.

Just enjoy first year.... you actually learn a lot without even realizing it. Even though you may think the first year subjects are pointless, I have begun to realize that they have actually made me a lot more analytical and knowledgable.... and I actually had a fair bit of fun at uni last year too. Plus some of the topics are quite interesting and you can get in to some great discussions in your tutes.

I didn't do half my readings last year.... I missed the odd lecture and tute.... I did my assignments at the last minute.... I also worked full time..... but I had a lot of fun, passed all my subjects, got some journo stuff published and got good "grades" on all of my assignments anyway....

So yeah, don't stress, do what you have to do, and soak it all in. Make friends, have fun, learn..... worry more about the readings when your subjects are actually graded.

For the girl worried about lecture clashes, just go to the 9am lecture..... nobody will even know who is supposed to be in what lecture, it doesn't matter at all.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Jinglebell said:
Get used to the wank. There will be constant wankiness. You will become desensitised to it over the course of the year, and begin to think that there may be some educational value in Tony Mitchell's 63rd lecture on Australian hip hop:p
Oh I missed this sentence about hip hop..... ROFL so true. Catch words to use when talking about Australian hip hop include:

-voice of marginalized groups in society
-communicative medium in youth culture
-You should also mention "The Hird" and their song 77%
-urban culture
-migrants
-Western Sydney
-cultural fusion

I think that my input about Australian hip hop was "I come from the country and we don't have hip hop.... I didn't realize that there was Australian hip hop until I started this course".... lol

And don't even get me started on "ethnography" LOL....

I loved the lecture on Barbie where we watched that film with the dolls lol so funny....

I think I will miss the fun of contemporary cultures lectures this year.... I actually liked them.

Jinglebell said:
You didn't hear this from me, but the readings aren't always strictly necessary to figure out what's happening:)
I will expand upon that.... but once again you didn't hear it from me either.... you can participate to a satisfactory level in tutorial discussion without doing the readings or going to the lecture. Going to the lecture helps a bit though.... and is less time consuming than doing the readings.

The only weeks you need to do the readings are when you have to do a tute presentation (well... I have done tute presentations without doing all of the readings lol... we were in a group and "shared" them).... the week that is on your essay topic.... and any weeks that happen to interest you personally or seem really confusing.

You can even manage to do the reporting thing in PCA without doing the readings.... you can also write the 400 word weekly online responses in Colonialism and Modernity without doing much of the reading for that week either. I went to 3.5 colonialism and modernity lectures in the whole semester and got a HD on my final essay....

Hmmm..... I shouldn't be revealing all these secrets of bludging through first year that Jane and I had to find out the hard way.....

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
For the girl worried about lecture clashes, just go to the 9am lecture..... nobody will even know who is supposed to be in what lecture, it doesn't matter at all.
haha yeah, i wasn't really worried about getting into trouble or anything. i guess i was just hoping someone would say, "hey, screw it! don't go at all!". but seeing how much i already dislike the subject, it's probably best to make myself go, at least for the second week.

actually, bleh. not bothered. i'll be at uni 5 minutes before my library tutorial. lecture schmecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)